Apple's announcement today (9-9-2014)

Josh1234

some limited benchmarks are out.  i think the full test results (to be released in the near future) will show that the HTC One M8 wins the challenge at all aspects of life.  There is a link to battery life tests near the bottom of the article where once again, my master race HTC One M8 is basically the winrar.

sorry everybody else, my phone is best phone.

some limited benchmarks are out.  i think the full test results (to be released in the near future) will show that the HTC One M8 wins the challenge at all aspects of life.  There is a link to battery life tests near the bottom of the article where once again, my master race HTC One M8 is basically the winrar.

Ars Tecnica says different

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/iphone-6-and-6-plus-in-deep-with-apples-thinnest-phones/3/

More on the bent phones...blown out of proportion.

Our iPhones are designed, engineered and manufactured to be both beautiful and sturdy. iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus feature a precision engineered unibody enclosure constructed from machining a custom grade of 6000 series anodized aluminum, which is tempered for extra strength. They also feature stainless steel and titanium inserts to reinforce high stress locations and use the strongest glass in the smartphone industry. We chose these high-quality materials and construction very carefully for their strength and durability. We also perform rigorous tests throughout the entire development cycle including 3-point bending, pressure point cycling, sit, torsion, and user studies. iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus meet or exceed all of our high quality standards to endure everyday, real life use.

With normal use a bend in iPhone is extremely rare and through our first six days of sale, a total of nine customers have contacted Apple with a bent iPhone 6 Plus. As with any Apple product, if you have questions please contact Apple.

Edited by ScubaCinci

My wife found out she can get a smartphone, free because of her employers agreement with Verizon.  Shocked me her coming home talking about this , after me reading all your posts about the different things to consider.

Since so many of you know the ins and outs of these things, which do you recommend?  We are new at this all but figure if we get one for free, why not, (monthly costs are the same as we pay now).  Right now all we can say is it will be used as a phone, for texting, and probably for some apps....feeling pretty stupid because this all is like a foreign language to us....lol...and we'll probably end up get online with it .

Here are the choices-

LG G2

Apple I Phone 5c

Apple I phone 4s

Enact by LG

Samsung Galaxy S4 (certified preowned)

Lucid3 by LG

How many gigs of data should we consider for talk, text and data.  Seems like most come with 2 gb.

To be honest Mike, most all of the new phones nowadays are really nice devices and there are none that are heads and shoulders above the others. It's easier to narrow it down when you envision how you will use it and narrow the list down by features that best fit your usage. Consider:

> Screen size - bigger screens are great but make it heavier and more cumbersome to carry

> Operating system

> Apple iOS - generally less intimidating than Android but locked down so offers less customization. Great app store with extremely small chance of viruses and malware. Great if you are already part of the Apple/Mac ecosystem as all devices play together.

> Android - very customizable. App store has almost as much variety but apps aren't necessarily vetted by anyone so have a greater risk of being buggy or dangerous (still, pretty small chance). Google backed

> Battery life - many android phones have devices with user replaceable batteries, iPhones do not have this option.

The best way is to go to the store and spend some time with each device.

Most everyone I know that has a Windows Mobile based phone like the phones but dislike the OS and there generally aren't as many apps available.

• Upvote 1

I'll keep my S5, thank.

thanks ScubaCinci, great info.  From lots I have read here it sounds like the Apple products are a bit restrictive for customizing, but pretty reliable.  Based on what we have seen we are leaning toward one of the androids, maybe a Sangsung, the Galaxy S4, but I think we'll jump on the bikes and run to the Verizon store to check them out.  But all the info here is very valuable.  Thanks for responding

thanks ScubaCinci, great info.  From lots I have read here it sounds like the Apple products are a bit restrictive for customizing, but pretty reliable.  Based on what we have seen we are leaning toward one of the androids, maybe a Sangsung, the Galaxy S4, but I think we'll jump on the bikes and run to the Verizon store to check them out.  But all the info here is very valuable.  Thanks for responding

if you're new to smartphones, and are looking for an easy intuitive learning curve, and aren't tied by the short hairs to google everything, iphone is bestphone (Iphone 5 and 5s are cheap right now).  if you are knee deep in google accounts, i recommend the HTC ONE M8 BEST PHONE EVARERERERER