Looking to find someone to motocamp with... (NE Ohio).

JeffersonCleveland

Hi! Was just introduced to the site from r/motocamping on reddit...

I have 0 camping skills. I do not currently have an ADV bike (been riding street for a long long time). I am 43 and have always dreamed of spending my weekends in the woods riding. Cooking over the fire and sleeping next to a babbling stream. GF had enough of my shit and I am single again. If you are in NEO (or are willing to start a weekend from here) and are looking for a riding buddy or someone you can mentor (IDGAF if you are older/younger/female/gay...) I am looking to start motocamping. I am pursuing going by my self but I prefer to be with people. If you can help me look for a bike (~$1500) or want to go for a ride, please get in touch.

Thanks!

Hi! Was just introduced to the site from r/motocamping on reddit...

I have 0 camping skills. I do not currently have an ADV bike (been riding street for a long long time). I am 43 and have always dreamed of spending my weekends in the woods riding. Cooking over the fire and sleeping next to a babbling stream. GF had enough of my shit and I am single again. If you are in NEO (or are willing to start a weekend from here) and are looking for a riding buddy or someone you can mentor (IDGAF if you are older/younger/female/gay...) I am looking to start motocamping. I am pursuing going by my self but I prefer to be with people. If you can help me look for a bike (~$1500) or want to go for a ride, please get in touch.

Thanks!

Glad to see you joined. I'm not doing much of the ADV stuff right now, but am always up for a camping trip. I just have to stick to roads for right now. I sold my Vee and DR. Eventually I'll have another dual sport I hope. 

• Upvote 1

Damn... we are a bunch of no-camping city boys.

I'm up for a spring "back-roads" trip to a decent campground if anyone has done that and is up for it.

I haven't camped since I was a kid and we did the KOAs' out to Seattle.

I've no idea what to even bring.

Would anybody want to do such a trip? (Basicaly a day trip with a bonfire I guess)?

J

Damn... we are a bunch of no-camping city boys.

I'm up for a spring "back-roads" trip to a decent campground if anyone has done that and is up for it.

I haven't camped since I was a kid and we did the KOAs' out to Seattle.

I've no idea what to even bring.

Would anybody want to do such a trip? (Basicaly a day trip with a bonfire I guess)?

J

We did one a long time ago on here. Went to Hocking Hills for a weekend. We stayed at the Logan KOA, but ended up in cabins. It was a good time, but definitely wouldn't do it at that campground again. They weren't very happy with us. Start looking into campgrounds near good riding roads. SE Ohio usually gets my vote. I'd be game for going. Wildcat Hollow has some cool camping sites near the trailhead. Would require a short hike into the woods though.

i'm good at the camping part.  The time is the hard part...

A good tent, a good knife, a good sleeping pad, and a good tarp will get you 80% of the way to a successful camping trip.  I think the hardest part about camping on a bike is having the proper gear to ride, AND to hike comfortably when you're not riding.

Also, liquor packs much better than beer.

I hear that Williams campground place near Logan has some camping spots and some really cool bubby's that hang out there on weekends and ride motorcycles and dirt toys.

You know, I never even thought of doing something at Williams. 

Ive camped on and off my whole life, i have most of the gear one would need, i was a eagle scout back in the day too. But ive never felt the urge to pack up the bike and hit the road. When I'm on a bike trip I do a lot of miles in a day(usually) and id rather have a hot bath and warm dry place to sleep to be ready and rested for the next day.

Now ill pack up the gear and head to Wayne or into the woods in SEO for some hiking and fishing a couple times a year, we used to go down to the strip mines all the time. 

I think a OR weekend at Williams would be awesome. Some can ride the dirt roads on their dual sports, the bubbys can hit the trails and others can hit the kick ass twisties down there. 

Ive camped on and off my whole life, i have most of the gear one would need, i was a eagle scout back in the day too. But ive never felt the urge to pack up the bike and hit the road. When I'm on a bike trip I do a lot of miles in a day(usually) and id rather have a hot bath and warm dry place to sleep to be ready and rested for the next day.

Now ill pack up the gear and head to Wayne or into the woods in SEO for some hiking and fishing a couple times a year, we used to go down to the strip mines all the time.

I think a OR weekend at Williams would be awesome. Some can ride the dirt roads on their dual sports, the bubbys can hit the trails and others can hit the kick ass twisties down there.

I'm down.

I'm in

I think that I agree.  Plus it would be a real bitch to pack full camping gear on my little wuss of a FZ-07.  I don't have any plans on making it a sport touring bike any time soon.

Huh?  Once...always !

DSCN2714_zps3ac9968f.jpgDSCN2716_zpscfdedf1c.jpg

I have camped all over the entire western US in pup tents in places you can't even do anymore. Every National Park west of the Mississippi (all 22 states)  But at my age I prefer that hot shower and a soft bed. I did camp at the VMD at mid ohio in 09. Then someone decided they liked my tent more than I did and haven't done any since.

DSCN4666_zps0e475490.jpg

Edited by myhondas

Most boys who earn the rank of eagle scout know that you are always an eagle no matter what your age. It is not like I used to be an eagle scout back in the day....I am an eagle scout now even at the young age of 65. Just like Neil Armstrong, John Glenn, President Gerald Ford and many many others. I actually do still participate as a board of director of the greater cleveland council eagle scout association and a life member of the national esa. :santahat:

I think that I agree. Plus it would be a real bitch to pack full camping gear on my little wuss of a FZ-07. I don't have any plans on making it a sport touring bike any time soon.

I am thinking of making a very simple sissy bar that will mount to my stock grab-bar bolts.

Having a 12-20" square frame to bungy a tent and duffle bag to makes packing very simple, and it's unobtrusive when riding.

Most boys who earn the rank of eagle scout know that you are always an eagle no matter what your age. It is not like I used to be an eagle scout back in the day....I am an eagle scout now even at the young age of 65. Just like Neil Armstrong, John Glenn, President Gerald Ford and many many others. I actually do still participate as a board of director of the greater cleveland council eagle scout association and a life member of the national esa. :santahat:

Guess it didn't mean all that much to me, yea i earned the title but to me it was the only thing to do in my little hick town back then. My service project was just getting a new BSA troop started in our area since the closest one at that time was 25 miles away. For my entire scouting tenure my parents drove me 3 times a week 50 miles roundtrip to attend. Last i knew that troop was still functional but i haven't been in contact for years. When i recived my Life Scout ranking i didnt even have to go before review board it was all by mail...LOL..so i dont even know what the legality of that was, but they accepted my ranking when i applied for my ES. We were a small group in a rural community and didnt get to do much.  So yea i guess im still have the title but, meh.  I learned a lot and we camped out a lot and even did a 5 day appalachian trail back packing trip. But the biggest lessons i took from the scouts were honestly and humility that have helped me get where i am today. 

Edited by 2talltim