2015 Epic Ride Spring Organization & Inputs

DerekClouser

2015 Spring Epic Ride Date Selection  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What date would be best for the 2015 Spring Epic Ride?

2. 2. Meeting Spot

• Hocking Hills - Keeping similar to previous years
    • Zanesville - Different route - more central meet spot - something different from years past.

I have found that the most important layer for riding in cooler weather is an outer shell that blocks the wind. Nylon overmitts, Nylon over jacket with a high neck (fleece neck gaitor underneath). Textile riding pants. If you keep the wind & moisture on the outside you don't need too many layers underneath.

I agree with the general consensus on the fog.  It was chilly, but the fog was horrible.  My helmet fogged up on the outside so bad I had to lift up the visor to see.  Got a finger squidgy that attaches to my glove if I have to ride in the fog again. Also picked up some anti-fog wipes for the visor.

May 16th wins and so does meeting in Zanesville.   The next step would be to come up with a good route.  I know Jim already posted a few with some modifications.   Let's see a few different routes and I'll post a new thread with all the details for the actual ride.  Thanks everyone who helped put the first part of the details together. 

I'm not familiar with Zanesville. Maybe someone who is can make a suggestion. I do know Zanesville is large enough to have a big Walmart & at least one supermarket so finding a large parking lot for this well behaved crowd shouldn't be too hard.

There is a Walmart and a Kmart in South Zanesville that would be a good meeting place.They share a parking lot with Bob Evans and Arby's.From that Walmart it's about eight miles to Crooksville and 669 which will take you to 377.The Walmart is located on SR 22.From I-70 just go south on SR 60 to SR 719 to SR 22 south.

One possibility for a very good route...

669s>377s>550e>555n>676e>792n>266n>377n>669n>93n>22e to Walmart.

The one caveat about this route...that section of 676 is Twisty,maybe not the best for newer riders,but there are options around 676.This route would be about 100-125 miles...mostly sweepers.

I would trust this guys route. He knows the area like the back of his hand

• 2 months later...

And given that May always has unpredictable weather with rain always

a threat, I still suggest that June is a better month for planning an outdoor

event.  Sorry about it being racing season and all that.

A makeup ride is coming in June. 

We will not be at the June ride...

I prefer the Logan route...

we just started memorizing the route, days like to day proved this is best. With the rain unpredictable turns can be hazardous. The ride is less stressful on leads and sweeps that know the route.

We can learn a new route and some of the new roads kick ass. Maybe we do spring new route and fall Logan?

Edited by snot

The route was good, the weather is what butt-plowed our day the most. I like the new route, it's fairly simple....I know this because I aced that sumbitch my first outing!

The thing I liked about this route, was getting home at about 6:30pm as opposed to 9:00pm.

Sent from a mobile device. Typos are not just possible, but probable.

The thing I liked about this route, was getting home at about 6:30pm as opposed to 9:00pm.

Sent from a mobile device. Typos are not just possible, but probable.

We usually get home about 9. We got home earlier due to not hanging out afterwards or stopping for dinner. had we of stopped for both it would of been close to the same time for us, it was about 70 miles more for us.

The new route is simpler, maybe I just need to learn it?