IMS Cleveland and After Party

MidgetTodd

Fairly dissapointed with the show. Too many people just being asshats. Blocking lanes, getting drunk at the show. My favorite was J & P cycles selling 4 year old Helmets at the amaizng price of MSRP -20%. lol What a joke.

Go earlier and have a different mission. Definitely no longer a place to get deals, but so many bikes to check out.

There weren't many people drinking at noon on Saturday, plus there were fewer people in the isles, the booth staff was fresh and willing to talk, it was easy to sit on bikes and take pictures, and you know you don't have to waste time at the kitch booths. The "destination" booths are nice (free maps to places you probably haven't visited) and I really enjoyed the craftsmanship of the custom bikes and vintage restorations. I also met a fellow CB77 owner in the VJMC pen and talked through a couple things I had been mulling over.

I fell in love with a couple Bonnevilles but had to reject them because of no ABS - maybe next year. Ducati's Scrambler fits nice (kind of like a grown up Grom) but I can't believe they don't come with high-mounted mufflers. The new CB1100 keeps getting better and better but it doesn't fill a particular hole in my stable. HD's Livewire looks better in person than in a magazine and there was surprising curiosity from the pirate faithful. Zero wasn't there - that surprised me. If I wanted a Sportster class bike, the Bolt and Scout would make it a hard decision. Nice models from KTM and BMW. The Slingshot does nothing for me personally.

I left without feeling like I had to buy anything - I'm still delighted with the three I have, but I enjoyed the window shopping.

Edited by smccrory

Yeah, you have to get there early, like when the doors first open.

We were in at 10, and when we left about 2:30, the line getting in was like a thousand deep, plus all the folks elbow to elbow inside, crazy!

Great to see all the new bikes, and I really want the 899 panigale :)

I was out taking pics of the show and missed someone from OR at the Thunder Roads booth! Hate that I missed ya and hope I get to meet some of you soon!

Me. [emoji16]. Just was gonna say Hi since we missed you last year too. Maybe next January [emoji13].

BUMMER....not going to be able to make the show or the party this year.   Could someone that is going do me a big favor and stop by the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club (VJMC) display and take some pictures of their bikes and display for me. I would totally appreciate it ....and for those that are going to make the after party....all I have to say to you folks is..........P A R T Y  ON  G A R T H  ! ! !

Here you go. I only took this one - didn't see your request till 2 days after I was there. My dad had that exact same Yamaha 1975 XS-650.

IMG_0307_zpsc63c2ce8.jpg

I'll be sure to take some pics For ya.

... and neglect to post them!  :crazy:

Oops, Forgot that I got this one too. A consultant I work with has one of these.

IMG_0309_zpse64a1223.jpg

Edited by Shoop

I don't know why people thought the show was poor.  I guess I went at the right time. I found some decent deals and all the vendors were very nice and cordial to me (maybe because I was spending cash). I did go early in the morning though so maybe it was different in the afternoon. 

Ok sounds great! What did you think of the show? How's the turnout today?

I thought the show was pretty good, the AMA brought some great displays - I love the vintage stuff! I stayed in Sandusky with family and we were snowed in for part of the day so I didn't make it on Sunday. Had to brave the roads to get home to Columbus

I thought the show was pretty good, the AMA brought some great displays - I love the vintage stuff! I stayed in Sandusky with family and we were snowed in for part of the day so I didn't make it on Sunday. Had to brave the roads to get home to Columbus

It must be me, but the vintage bikes were some of the best-looking, most desirable motorcycles there.  Everyone needs a vintage bike in their stable.

That whole vintage thing just eludes me. I must not have antique genes. Technology marches on & that's fine by me. To each his own.

Very true! What can I say, I'm a slut. I want both a Zero and an old R/60.

That whole vintage thing just eludes me. I must not have antique genes. Technology marches on & that's fine by me. To each his own.

what you may think is new is sometimes old technology just being re-released. And some old technology will just blow the sidecovers off some of the newer machines. A prime example is my 1983 Vf1100C  V65 Magna. One of the first 10sec 1/4 milers with some very advanced tech on it. Still scares the hell out of me when I crack wide open the throttle in any of the first 4 gears. I either am looking at the sky or smoking the rear rubber.