Home security systems

redkow97

Whatcha got, and what would you like?

The more burglary and theft cases I try for work, the more I am considering investing in a security system.  Ideally (for me) this means several cameras.

My humble opinion is that security systems rarely prevent crimes, but surveillance footage can help authorities investigate and prosecute them.  Additionally, having video of certain items being taken may help with an insurance claim if you've lost receipts and don't have photos of said item(s) to prove you owned them in the first place.

And then there's the garage.   This is not only where I store my bike(s), tools, and other neat stuff, but it's also a point of entry into my house.

Cost will be the most limiting consideration (isn't it always?), so i'm curious to hear what others pay for a home monitoring system, and who has cut that cord and decided to take surveillance in-house. 

Subscribed as well.  I want to set up several cameras and a DVR, but also a wall-mounted monitor or tablet to let us quickly see who's at the entrances.  Even better if they can "ding" whenever someone passes into a zone for heightened awareness that someone might be casing the joint.

So, I just went through all of this.  Moved into a home, supposed to be one of the best neighborhoods in Hilliard, blah blah.  Well we back up to a park so it's easy for people to sneak in and out via the trail system to the other areas.

With that said, we had ADT in the house already, hardwired system, you know, came with the new house in 98.  I called around, did a TON of research and talked to 4 companies.  1 local and 3 DIY ones that are 100% wireless and you build the systems yourself or can buy their packages.  In my case I did not and could not use motion detectors due to my dog roaming all day.  So I got window and door sensors on the ones I wanted and added a glass break sensor per the recommendation of 1 tech. 

I called Livewatch(Who we ended up with), and 2(Frontpoint, Simplesafe) other wireless ones.  Anyways, the 2 we did not go with were too pushy and one was even rude IMHO, and seemed they wanted to oversell me all kinds of stuff.  With Livewatch I built my system, and paid for it up front, $290ish, but I have NO contract and in the first 12 months can cancel anytime and return the whole thing for 100% money back except the monthly fees I would have already paid for.  The other 2 I had to have 3 year contracts with which had a higher monthly fee BUT the cost of the items were included in the fee.  

Big thing you MUST have now is "Smash and Grab" on the unit.  It is a 100% must, battery backup and automatically sends a call out if someone disconnects the unit from power or smashes/grabs it.  Some systems just die if that happens.

If anyone goes with Livewatch I have 2 free months for each of you and I get 2 free months too.  I also have a great sales lady.  Give me a call or text me.  419-610-5sixsixsix, or PM me.

I researched this for 3 months straight.

You can get a 4 camera dvr system with 500gb hard drive and wireless access with any device for less than $200. Easy as hell to set up.

Yep, even the Harbor Freight ones get pretty solid reviews. 

Heck on NewEgg and Tigerdirect they have 1-2TB hard drive ones for under 400 all day.  We're installing a stand alone camera system this spring/summer, most likely when I am off with the wife and twins come June/July.

I'm trying to find an inexpensive 4-channel system that I can  "daisy chain" to additional setups if/when budget permits.

I'm sure a marketed security system would be easier to set up, but I'm wondering if I can't just get a cheap desktop computer and run security software and do my own cameras for a lot less.

Plus then my software is the only limitation.

Ideally, I want:

exterior cameras on exterior doors and other possible points of entry (I have several ground-level windows that are not glass block). That alone is 4 cameras, then I'd like 1-2 in the garage, and possibly some interior cameras as well.

All would be motion-activated.

As for a  real "alarm" system, I don't have a home phone line, and I guess I would like local PD to respond, in case they catch someone inside...

The 4 camera kits usually come with an 8 channel dvr box. I looked into a pc based system and decided against it, you would need several ntsc input cards, plus software, plus a partitioned or dedicated drive and when it's all done it doesn't do anything better than an off the shelf system. You can set individual cameras to record constantly or record only when there's motion. You can also tie it into a home security alarm to be triggered by the alarm being set off.

You can get a 4 camera dvr system with 500gb hard drive and wireless access with any device for less than $200. Easy as hell to set up.

Kind of want. Got one you have used?

The system I installed in my mother in laws restaurant works great, pretty sure it came off Newegg or Tiger direct. Night owl was the brand iirc. You gotta dig around to find one with a hard drive. The 4 cam dvr systems with no hard drive start at around $130. You can then plug a usb drive in and record on that.

Cameras are nice, but they won't call the cops.

You don't need a landline anymore. Wireless cell units route the call to your central station.

Get a Honeywell 2 partition system with a cell primary.

Then you can keep the garage armed while the house is unarmed.

And cameras in the house are a very bad idea IMO.

I charge $180/year for landline monitoring and 240/yr for cell primary.

Cameras are nice, but they won't call the cops.

You don't need a landline anymore. Wireless cell units route the call to your central station.

Get a Honeywell 2 partition system with a cell primary.

Then you can keep the garage armed while the house is unarmed.

And cameras in the house are a very bad idea IMO.

I charge $180/year for landline monitoring and 240/yr for cell primary.

That is cheap, real cheap and I agree 100% with you.  I wouldn't do just cameras had to have a system first.  I like the idea of the 2 part system.

Woot has Simplysafe on sale right now actually, and the other thing I forgot to mention is IF you pay for the system up front, you can have anyone monitor it.  Not just the company you bought it from.  You just need the programmer codes which they have to provide with the unit if you "Own" it vs rent/lease it.

Also totally forgot this, but we just had a blockwatch meeting with CPD last week, or 2 weeks ago.  The #1 easiest, cheapest, and most effective deterrent is lighting.  Timers on different lights, motion lights outside, etc.

I m upgrading to all LED lighting outside and the house is lit up way more than ever before.  Swapping out the back motion single bulb light to a dual LED flood this weekend too.  Costco and Menards have them UBER cheap compared to HD/Lowes right now.

Menards was like 29 bux and Costco is a tad more, but easier for me to get to.

Just an FYI

First I have a German Sheppard with the standard loud as F$%K mouth. I have also started a home automation project with a security aspect. The core of mine is SmartThings. Right now I have about a dozen zwave switches. all the doors (including the garage doors) with open close sensors.  I also have a few motion detectors and some homemade camera's in key places. It also monitors my basement for water.  Lots of geeky programming to get doors to lock and unlock on their own, the Garage doors open automatically when I turn onto the street with the bike. 

That's how my uncles place is.  100% able to turn every light, fan, door, open/off from his Iphone, Ipad, laptops, etc.

He turned on the stereo one time when my parents were house sitting and he was in Italy on vaca full blast at like 7am just to F with them.  My parents are the opposite, dead bolts with keys, that's it.  So they freaked out and called him, in Italy LOL

I have a pretty simple ADT.

Contractor set me up, ADT handles the service. Install/standard equipment free. No contract. Ties to my cell phone with an ap. has key fobs like a car.

I added motion, sensors, glass breakage, and extra doors as well as garage.

It's $50ish a month in service fee's, but my home owners insurance dropped $50ish a month for having a security system... So it's a wash on the monthly.

I have dogs and a cat with the motion. Got creative and it works.

Love the "stay" function for when your home. You can arm it (specifically the wife can) while you're inside the house. Not that a loud alarm will stop anyone, but it'll alert me inside to prepare myself for confrontation.

I find it laughable when people claim their dogs are useful for security.

It is an extremely rare case where a good pet offers more than the appearance of security.

One of my dogs will sleep under our bed until and unless he hears food hit his bowl.  The other is much more protective of the boarders of our home, but even he will back off once you're through the door.  Yeah, Kramer hates the mailman, but the one time he took our screen door off the tracks and 'went after' the mailman, he ran straight by him and looked confused or surprised like, "oh... shit.  I didn't think I'd actually get out..."   Granted, he may have gone totally crazy on the mailman if I hadn't yelled at him to get back in the house, but Kramer has run out of the house "at" neighbors before.   Every time that has happened, he ends up sitting next to their car, waiting for them to open the door and give him a ride.

As for early warning, I don't want my dogs waking me up for every little bump in the night - and they don't.  I can't say what they'd do if we had an someone break in during the night, but my guess is they would be of little use, since the intruder is already beyond the threshold they instinctually protect.    If my wife or I are flipping out, then I think the dogs would definitely pick up on those cues, but I can't be sure they would be "helpful" or "protective."

Any security system we get will be to protect them as much as us.

Cool. My dog will rip off your face if you step inside my house and I don't tell him to heel.

This.  Now i have met some pansy huge dogs so I do agree that it happens.  Mine might be scared of a thunderstorm, but when it comes to "His House" I pitty the fool.  I've always said you'd have to decapitate him, then pry his jaws off your arm if you tried to break in because he wouldn't stop until he was 100% dead and pried off.

My dog doesn't wake me up on everything, but the 2 times someone has woke myself or my wife up at a sketchy time of night or startled us, he alerted to that and his whole demeanor changed, something neither of us had ever seen before from him.  I am thankful both times he did not have to take anyone on but he wanted to. 

But he can be around our friends and family just fine. 

This.  Now i have met some pansy huge dogs so I do agree that it happens.  Mine might be scared of a thunderstorm, but when it comes to "His House" I pitty the fool.  I've always said you'd have to decapitate him, then pry his jaws off your arm if you tried to break in because he wouldn't stop until he was 100% dead and pried off.

My dog doesn't wake me up on everything, but the 2 times someone has woke myself or my wife up at a sketchy time of night or startled us, he alerted to that and his whole demeanor changed, something neither of us had ever seen before from him.  I am thankful both times he did not have to take anyone on but he wanted to. 

But he can be around our friends and family just fine. 

I'll just bust in and feed him skittles. :) 

I find it laughable that dogs have been used for security for centuries, but now they're useless for that very purpose.

This.

It's part of the fundamental symbiosis we humans have with dogs - any cultural anthropologist will tell ya that.

Mine alerts better than I could ever hear while asleep, giving me time enough to arm up...