(Super Temative) Back of the Dragon & The Snake 5/2-5/3

2talltim

UPDATE:    TRIP CANCELED DUE TO MY SHITTY JOB!!! :(

Just like the title says since my dirt riding bubbys are all busy im thinking about hitting the road this weekend and head south. Also since the weather forcast at this time looks freaking beautiful. Want to hit the "Back of the Dragon" Rt 16 in western WVa. ,and "The Snake" in NE Tenn. Thinking about leaving ass crack of dawn Saturday morning and riding ALL DAY, maybe stay around Boone NC or Bristol TN for the night then ride ALL DAY Sunday and make my way home. I would avoid all freeways when possible and can split a room with somone to save cost. Also if possible I'm not objective to leaving Friday afternoon to get a head start.

When I say "super tenative" at this time is because I'm won't be sure of my weekend work scedule till late Wednesday or Thursday. I don't care what you ride or your style just make sure you can handle at least 400 to 500 miles each day. I ride at a moderate pace 5 to 10 over the posted limit most of the time. But please no super newbs, I'm not playing baby sitter on the side of the road. Let me know of any ya'll are interested.

Edited by 2talltim

Just did most of that, I have some advice.

Don't stay in Boone. That city is f'd with traffic, it blows dead goats.

Do 16 from south to north if you can....it's better that way imnsho.

At the south end of 16 are some cheap but clean and safe hotels. The hotels near Bristol either blow dead goats or are expensive, or both.

Try and make it far enough to do 209, I swear man it will be the best road of the trip.

Just did most of that, I have some advice.

Don't stay in Boone. That city is f'd with traffic, it blows dead goats.

Do 16 from south to north if you can....it's better that way imnsho.

At the south end of 16 are some cheap but clean and safe hotels. The hotels near Bristol either blow dead goats or are expensive, or both.

Try and make it far enough to do 209, I swear man it will be the best road of the trip.

Where would I find 209? Im at work right now and only have my phone to look it up on.

http://goo.gl/maps/KHkVa

On the north end of it you will see 212. I highly recommend that road also.

Ok see it now. Looks like a nice road but don't think I want to stretch it that far south on a 2 day trip without freeways. Put it on my must do list for later.

Here is my tenative route. Sorry about all the way points it was the only way to force the routes I wanted. Thinking of just slabbin to the river, because I can ride ohio roads anytime. Haven't decided to do it clockwise or counter.

e606ec0d1a5f818918d2e10b0851131d.jpg

Edited by 2talltim

Did 16 from st Mary's all the way down 2 years ago with Doc and Jester on our Gap trip. I personally would not do it alone. It is very rural in places. It was a fun road.

Did you see the 100's of roosters living in the blue barrel condo's?  That was epic.

5678332868_38e83f7eab_o-L.jpg

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 1

Here is my tenative route. Sorry about all the way points it was the only way to force the routes I wanted. Thinking of just slabbin to the river, because I can ride ohio roads anytime. Haven't decided to do it clockwise or counter.

e606ec0d1a5f818918d2e10b0851131d.jpg

Man, that's a nice route. I'd love to go, but I've already commited to doing some rides at the FJR rally in Mineral Wells, WV this weekend.

Still thinking about doing this even if I'm by myself. The weekend is too perfect. The wife and kids are busy all weekend, and the weather still looking perfect. Found a cheap mom and pop hotel off of BRP that looks like a winner. If I go alone I might change up the trip a little and do more slab and BRP so I'm not in rural hillbilly land by myself.

Edited by 2talltim

Well looks like this will be a NO GO due to my shitty ass job. I was informed this evening that Saturday morning we have to do a inventory. Should be able to be done by 11am but that's too late of a start for a trip like this. So ill try again some other weekend. And just hit some SEO roads this weekend.

Well looks like this will be a NO GO due to my shitty ass job. I was informed this evening that Saturday morning we have to do a inventory. Should be able to be done by 11am but that's too late of a start for a trip like this. So ill try again some other weekend. And just hit some SEO roads this weekend.

Sorry to hear about working this weekend. Their will be better weekends...Atleast that's what I tell myself.

Just the thing my weekends will be getting fewer and farther between from here on out. And with my 2 already planned trips and my garage getting built in June kinda fills in that month. Got plans the next 2 weekends and I really would rather not do it on the holiday weekend. That's why I had high hopes for this weekend.

That is a good route, and I agree, 209 & 212 are also great roads.

I can't/won't do anything until (if) my hands/nerves heal...3 months until my Colorado trip, and I am worried that I will not make it due to the fact.

Im super pissed as of just a hour ago i found our my work tomorrow was canceled. Still though of doing this but hate to rush a prep for the road on a list min thing. So instead decided to add a day to the Gap trip in june and hit these roads on the way home.

That is a good route, and I agree, 209 & 212 are also great roads.

I can't/won't do anything until (if) my hands/nerves heal...3 months until my Colorado trip, and I am worried that I will not make it due to the fact.

Heal up man that a jog across the plains will not be good with a unhealed injury. Hell i got numb in the way to ND last year and i was in good health.