Plate sticker question

YZ250

I have a registration/plate sticker question...

I renewed my plate stickers in Feb 2015 and are good until Feb 2016. I ended up unexpectedly selling my bike in April 2015 and do not believe I will be picking up another bike this season. If I let my plate stickers expire in Feb 2016 because I don't have a bike anymore, then what will happen when I eventually do pick up another bike? Will I have to purchase a new plate and plate stickers for the new bike or can I still use my existing plate and get up to date stickers?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Hell you don't even need to take the plate. My local dmv knows me after I had one summer where I bought and sold 3 bikes and transferred the same plate to each one :lol:

Hell you don't even need to take the plate. My local dmv knows me after I had one summer where I bought and sold 3 bikes and transferred the same plate to each one :lol:

There's a pill for that.

depends on how long the old plate is expired.

I had my street plate hanging on my garage wall for a couple of years and had to buy a new plate when I got a street bike again.  That wouldn't have been the case if I had it associated with another vehicle sooner.  I don't know how much sooner though...

Just be careful.  State of Ohio requires minimum insurance on registered vehicles.  If you sell the bike, drop insurance, and keep an unexpired plate, it can cause headaches with the state.  I'm not sure if it is compulsory in Ohio, but if your insurance company notifies the state that you've cancelled the policy and not returned an unexpired tag within a reasonable amount of time, they can fine you the uninsured motor vehicle fee.  They assume that a valid tag is being used, and may ask you to provide proof of insurance.

That's never happened to me

Ohio may not be as tight about it as VA was.  I assumed that since we have a state minimum insurance law that they would be, but...  Now that I think about it, I've not had to provide proof of insurance when I bought my tags, just sign the financial responsibility statement.  I'm probably wrong.  Certainly not the first time, likely not the last.