Laying the bike down.

HeavyDuty

I respond by asking them if they were paid to lay it down. Since no then 99.9% that they crashed trying to avoid another crash. Sometimes this works out.

I've intentionally ditched a bike by stabbin rear brake after running off the race course to avoid going into a fence. Slicks or DOT slicks on wet grass down hill don't have more traction than a sliding bike.

I get that people panic in certain situations, over-brake, lock the wheel(s) and the bike ends up on its side - and I don't really fault them for that ...but own up to it and say so.  "I fucked up and panicked" is a lot more accurate than "I had to lay 'er down."

There is always going to be more stopping traction from 2 wheels gripping the pavement than from a bike sliding on its side.  Always.

I just posted a few weeks ago about crashing in a super-stupid situation.  I grabbed a fistful of brake while trying to swerve.  Totally my fault.  There, I said it.  Even this group isn't going to pile on and make fun of me for it.

Nope, no pile on here.  And while we're confessing, EVERY scare I've had was because I entered a turn too fast.  My fault, and usually it accompanied me being in too high of a gear for engine braking to do much.

In the aviation world, there is a very, very strong culture of owning up to your own mistakes, no matter how major or minor, because it's the only way to collectively learn and improve safety, confidence and enjoyment of the sport.  I think it works with motorcycling just as well.

Oh, and as (I think) Tonik said, ABS rocks.  I've only had it come on three times in the 1 1/2 years I've owned mine, but I was quite grateful for each.

In the aviation world, there is a very, very strong culture of owning up to your own mistakes, no matter how major or minor, because it's the only way to collectively learn and improve safety, confidence and enjoyment of the sport.  I think it works with motorcycling just as well.

Sadly, I don't see that with our USAF drivers.  They may amongst themselves, but as a lowly enlisted maintainer, I never hear admission of guilt.  Even after it's proven.

Sadly, I don't see that with our USAF drivers.  They may amongst themselves, but as a lowly enlisted maintainer, I never hear admission of guilt.  Even after it's proven.

"Right after takeoff in my FA18 I saw a flock of geese in my flight path so I had to lay 'er down."

• Upvote 3

Almost took out a deer at 60mph a few nights back. I was taught to brake, or swerve, not both. I practice sudden stopping at some back road intersections and am glad I had. When the deer ran out I swerved, he followed, then I braked. I locked up at least one of the tires for a second, but I think practice saves everybody time, money, pride, and livelihood. I think that, generally, "laying down a bike" is deferment of fault.

• Upvote 2

Almost took out a deer at 60mph a few nights back. I was taught to brake, or swerve, not both. I practice sudden stopping at some back road intersections and am glad I had. When the deer ran out I swerved, he followed, then I braked. I locked up at least one of the tires for a second, but I think practice saves everybody time, money, pride, and livelihood. I think that, generally, "laying down a bike" is deferment of fault.

{Applause} - Very cool, man, very cool.

I concur with Tigerpaw. In my world of  Military, Commercial, Civilian Aviation I have seen the majority of Pilots will denie, denie, denie any wrong doing what-so-ever. That's why we now have to plug in after the flight and check the (ACMS) Aircraft Condition Monitoring System to check specific engine and aircraft parameters are exceeded. "Hey Fly Boy, You wrote in the log FLT. 1 OK and signed it off. You want to tell me why I have a engine overtorque event that lasted 5 min. followed by a Rotor Overspeed. Plus you Overtemp the Hot Section with that manual start-up. Hey Buck Rogers, You care to tell me why the tail stinger in bent and all the anti torque drive shaft coulping nuts slippage marks are gone. Class A accidents are what change things and it is a very slow process.

Pilot self reporting for pilot mental health issues, :hello:  This is about to change after the last biggie.

Save that (strong culture of owning up to your own mistakes) for holiday family dinners. :hungry:

I concur with Tigerpaw. In my world of  Military, Commercial, Civilian Aviation I have seen the majority of Pilots will denie, denie, denie any wrong doing what-so-ever. That's why we now have to plug in after the flight and check the (ACMS) Aircraft Condition Monitoring System.

Yea but think about this for a minute, why on earth would a pilot want to fully disclose liability to a flight service district office, company dispatch office or their employer's A&P mechanic in such an ego-centric, putative, regulated and competitive industry, only to be robbed of their very ability to fly a plane and earn a living?  Dialogue between pilots, online forums, safety seminars and ASRS reports say it better.  At the GA level I've been a participant in each and I'm always struck that there are more pilots per pound focused on safety than any other subculture, with the possible exception of surgeons, civil engineers and range safety officers.  That doesn't mean there aren't goofballs too, but I think what you're seeing is a self-filtered product of the game where even the slightest of attribution can ruin a career, hence the creation of the ASRS system.  Who uses checklists?  Who goes in for recurrent experience and training, even when it's not required by law?  I still think there's a better model there than you guys see, but that's just my 2c.

I took out a deer with my bike. I was taught to roll on the throttle.

Duc: 1, Deer: 0

I live in Wayne county, the get pretty F***ing big around here. Not as big as my bike, but I'll continue to give the deer right of way. No matter how many times I tell them to look both ways and use hoof signals before crossing, they keep doing whatever they like.

I'd make a full mount of that deer carcass, and replace its legs with tires if I were you ????

Isaac's Papa when you took out that deer how fast were you going? What kind of damage to you and your bike? How big was the deer? Which Duc were you on? I'd never think to roll on to hit one. I live close to you but maybe the deer in your area are a lot smaller than those here in Ashtabula County. I have hit deer in my car and they have always done some pretty good damage. Can't imagine what it would do to my 600rr.

Gotcha. Makes sense, not sure I would have thought to do it. Thankfully I have spotted the many deer that have decided to cross the road in front of me when on my bike in time to slow down and avoid any collisions, unlike when driving my car. You're only about an hour away from me. Would love to ride with you sometime. I rode with Hellmutt's group on the epic ride last weekend and had a blast. I typically do a lot of solo riding, but the group thing was cool. I think I did spot you at the meet up and believe I recall the looks of your middle finger as you passed by with your fellow rider.

I've taken out a few birds, a rabbit and an opossum. +1 on rolling on. Just commit to it and aim for center mass, it's usually the squishiest. As long as the front tire clears it your good unless it rides the tire for half a loop and ends up wedged in your swing arm...

talk to an insurance adjuster about deer claims.  they have some awesome stories.

my favorite was a brand new Cadillac that employed similar logic to Pauly above (too late to brake, so i'm going to accelerate and hopefully get in front of the deer).   The deer came THROUGH the rear passenger window.  Driver stopped. got out and ran.  The deer thrashed and destroyed the interior of the car before eventually escaping.

Between the damage to the body and the interior, it was totaled. 

she got the car replaced, and within a few months, it was 'stolen' from her driveway.  The cops showed up and found it in the lake in hear yard with the antenna sticking out of the water.  Initially they thought she was an idiot and left it in drive, but they pulled the car out and found it in park.  The shifter (or something in the transmission) had failed. 

2 totaled Cadillacs within a few months of each other.  Both complete freak accidents. 

My deer story is pretty weird. I was sitting with my engine running at a dirt road intersection up near Loudonville, looking at my GPS. I kind of saw a blur of brown and then felt something smack into me, hard. Bike went over, I fell off and I heard "clump clump....shhhhhh" as the deer bounced over me and into the brush. I caught sight of its ass end I as I rolled over to see what the fuck just happened. It was big, too, I suspect it was playing the very popular woods creature game of "Strom tipping".

My deer story is pretty weird. I was sitting with my engine running at a dirt road intersection up near Loudonville, looking at my GPS. I kind of saw a blur of brown and then felt something smack into me, hard. Bike went over, I fell off and I heard "clump clump....shhhhhh" as the deer bounced over me and into the brush. I caught sight of its ass end I as I rolled over to see what the fuck just happened. It was big, too, I suspect it was playing the very popular woods creature game of "Strom tipping".

That happened to me once in my car, but I was driving. It just ran out of a tree farm and directly into the side of my car. We both left unscathed.

Deer are fucking stupid.

Worst thing I ever hit was a turkey buzzard in a dual sport ride down in Zanesville. Flew off a post and right into my chest at about 50mph. It kind of "ruptured" the thing, it puked up bile and blood and shit all over me and up into my helmet....about blew me off the bike, too, they're not little birds.

That was a miserable thing, thank God I was only about 10 miles from town. I stripped down to my undies in a pressure wash booth and blasted everything I had, and it still smelled like poo/death. Threw that helmet away, there was no getting that awful crap out of it. I still cringe when I see one.