4th of July in Cleveland (or elsewhere? )

Gixxus Christ!

Me and the wife both have a 3 day weekend and are looking at going to cle or somewhere for the holiday weekend, getting a hotel, hitting some restaurants and breweries and whatnot but we don't know the area that well or where the fireworks will be or really much at all. So shoot me some suggestions and info!

Fireworks I believe are still shot off from the mouth of the cuyahoga. I'd look in to finding a way to watch them from the water as that's the most enjoyable way IMO.

Watching them from anywhere in the flats works. Watched 2 years ago from the patio in front of the aquarium with my niece and nephew and it was acceptable.

Whiskey Island is probably one hell of a party to watch at but would imagine it being ridiculously crowded and not entirely sure what the view may be.

Edgewater Park is another decent place to watch from but again it will be crazy packed.

Traffic will likely suck no matter where you go downtown so you might be best Uber from where you stay to where you want to watch if it's not walkable

Edited by Bad324

Thanks brian, I actually had you in mind when I posted this. Gonna see what hotels are close and if there's anything available. Was also thinking either Uber or walk. Gonna try and sip some sauce on the downlow while I'm there. Watching from the water would be awesome but idk where to even start other than good time 3 or one of the other boat services around the flats. Thanks.

Thanks brian, I actually had you in mind when I posted this. Gonna see what hotels are close and if there's anything available. Was also thinking either Uber or walk. Gonna try and sip some sauce on the downlow while I'm there. Watching from the water would be awesome but idk where to even start other than good time 3 or one of the other boat services around the flats. Thanks.

Yea I have the advantage of my Dads boat which we've done for years but I'm 99% sure the new house is going to close that weekend so we will be cleaning, painting and moving.

There is a hotel right on th east bank of the flats but it's likely pricey. Ohio city is where you will wanna brewery hop. Also Highly recommend trying to get over to Platform Brewery as well. Great beers and bring in food from local restaurants during the night

Downtown is endless. Hofbräuhaus has amazing schnitzel and beer cheese pretzels. Nano Brew has awesome burgers. Happy Dog is the best hot dog joint ever with fantastic beer choices. Momocho is amazing mod mex. Ohio city burrito is chipotle but 5x better. The Harp has some of the best Boxty I've ever tried

I tried the cle whiskey and found it wanting.

Which batch? I agree that it is overpriced for the quality, but I did a tasting of 4 different batches, and their product improved dramatically throughout that time.

Which batch? I agree that it is overpriced for the quality, but I did a tasting of 4 different batches, and their product improved dramatically throughout that time.

Agreed. My batch 007 bottle taste significantly better and more refined than batch 001 and 003 bottles I had of the original.

The water downed version they have I really don't like. I think it's the 87 they call it.

The Xmas Whiskey is my favorite of theirs

West 6th street is basically the street full of bars & clubs.   head there if you're feeling young and frisky.

The Goodtime III you mentioned earlier is a good idea.  If you want to see sights on the waterfront, check out the USS Codd, a WWII Submarine that offers tours.  Nearby is the William G. Mather, a huuuuuuge Great Lakes Coal transport that does tours.  it's also possible they offer fireworks watching... aw hell I'll look it up for you.  BRB.

Yep, they're doing a "Rock and Boom."

http://www.greatscience.com/exhibits/steamship-william-g-mather.aspx

Rock and Boom

Saturday, July 4
8 pm

Celebrate Independence Day from the deck of the Mather and watch Cleveland’s fireworks. Food and drinks can be purchased at the adjacent family-friendly beer garden.

• General Admission - $16 ($13 members). Good for Rock and Boom only.
  • Hard-Hat Tour ticket - Add a special two-hour Mather hard hat tour from 6 – 8 pm. $30 ($27 members). Includes hard-hat tour plus Rock and Boom.

Anyway, the science center can be fun, also, but probly more so with kids.  Of course, the Rock N Roll hall of fame.

I don't go out much, so that's all the suggestions I have :)

Booked the good time 3 today, cruise is from 9 to 11:30. Looking at the double tree for lodging as I always have a good experience with Hilton and they offer a shuttle to cart us around within a mile of the hotel. Not down for West 6th, we are not club people. We like breweries, good restaurants and hole in the wall bars. Still haven't decided if we're gonna just do one night or make it a whole weekend thing. At $135 a night for hotel rooms in leaning towards one night.

You want E 4th for your bars and food, out is exactly what you describe.. Very walkable from your hotel. Right across from Quicken Loans arena. That is the new trendy area. Only losers do 6th anymore.

We are no longer the target market for west 6th.

They want 22-25 year olds and 30 year olds who still think they look 25. It's all kids and creeps. I have no data to support this claim, but it seems like the crime rate has gone up on 6th as well.

Where the rest of the hot spots have grown up, west 6th still tries to be college-y on weekends after 10:00. It's really kind of bizarre to go out to lunch there during the week and come back to the same place on a Saturday night. Barley House in particular.

My friends and I used to do trivia there after work on Wednesdays and win gift certificates and drinks on the house. On Saturday nights, it's like a rap video in there.

Where the rest of the hot spots have grown up, west 6th still tries to be college-y on weekends after 10:00. It's really kind of bizarre to go out to lunch there during the week and come back to the same place on a Saturday night. Barley House in particular.

My friends and I used to do trivia there after work on Wednesdays and win gift certificates and drinks on the house. On Saturday nights, it's like a rap video in there.

West 6th has no class, just alcohol, yeah.

As for Barley House... a couple months ago, about 20 of us at work ate there over the course of a month or so, and we ALL had our credit card #'s stolen and used out-of-state.  Turns out Barley House or whatever got hacked :p

Yeah... it might be right across the street, but we don't eat there anymore.

I'll avoid them then. We will likely just drink at the hotel bar unless there's a good place close by. Good time cruise doesn't let out till 11:30 and I'm not gonna feel like driving after that. Will we be ok walking from the lauch behind the rock hall to our hotel a few blocks away? Looks like it's a straight shot up e 9th to lakeside. Any decent bars within walking distance of the double tree there?