Had me a little accident (not bike related)

2talltim

Sorry to hear you lost part of a finger. That really sucks. We had a family catastrophe where this happened twice! First, my uncle lost two fingers to the first knuckle with a wood chipper when he tried to pull some debris away from the bottom of the shute where the chips exit. A stick cam free and shot a chunk of wood through his leather gloves. The same year my father-in-law lost fingers to the first knuckle sticking his hand in a snow thrower to clear the shute. Just goes to show this shit can happen at any time to anyone! Hope you heal up soon.

Wow, talk about crappy luck

Luck? How about the sense to not put your fingers into running machinery?

Yup, I think everyone has told them the same thing.  No luck involved.  My father-in-law had jumped out the safety on the snowblower because it added more time to get the driveway cleared when he had to restart it every time he had to stop and clear the chute.  In my opinion its not worth loosing a limb over.  :(

Getting phantom pains. It feels like the tip of my finger (that isn't there anymore)is getting poked with needles. This sucks.

A friend of mine in the Army lost half of his middle finger, and went through the phantom pain of feeling the tip of his missing finger "itching".  Doctors told him to ignore it, but he found relief in "scratching" the spot where his finger used to be, and the sensation would go away.  Probably psychosomatic via muscle memory of the rest of the body trying to address the stimulus, but he didn't care, it fixed the problem.

Glad the injury wasn't any worse that it is. I learned a couple hard lessons in my younger years, working manufacturing, in a hurry without any serious thought of safety.

Age 22, severed through 80% of my right thumb tip on a horizontal skiver ( imagine a 10ft razor bladed bandsaw on it's side ), luckily was able to get it reattached, took a few years for it's nerve endings to become fully functional again.

Age 28, slammed my right first finger between the auger and bore of a 6" extruder, boss had me in a rush so it was just a stupid mistake on my part. As soon as it pinched my finger inside, instinct told me to yank my hand back, which ultimately tore the pad out of my finger tip. Looked like a spoon the way it was scalloped away. Took a couple months to close up because all the doc could do was lace the finger sides towards one another, so I had to wear an antibiotic mesh overlay to coax new flesh to fill in the void. Still dont have all of the feeling in it, but now that it's flatter I can grip my guitar pick better than before