Broken down... Help?

Steve Butters

Okay.. Bike wouldn't start after pumping gas, battery seemed low... Tried bumping it several times unsuccessfully so went home to get car to jump it.

I hooked up cables with the vehicles both shut off. When I turned bike key it sparked at positive terminal and now nothing works, no gauges or anything..

Car was off and it was positive to positive negative to negative so idk why it got fucked up, unless this car has some electrical issue it passed to bike, idk

Any ideas before I call for a tow? I checked ignition relay and the blades look fine, but idk how these work inside

20150910_070921_zpskmatj6jz.jpg

Yea I don't see any fuses or relays or anything that looks bad... Could the battery fault out and die completely? To where I don't even get gauges? There's an auto zone across the street, I can go get a battery if that'll get me home... They're cheaper elsewhere, but if it saves a tow then it's worth it... Just don't wanna go buy a battery there and then get towed anyways

Yea I don't see any fuses or relays or anything that looks bad... Could the battery fault out and die completely? To where I don't even get gauges? There's an auto zone across the street, I can go get a battery if that'll get me home... They're cheaper elsewhere, but if it saves a tow then it's worth it... Just don't wanna go buy a battery there and then get towed anyways

That kind of catastrophic failure of a battery is rare.  Pull the battery and take it across the street and have them test it for you.

They're not open yet I don't think... Yea I'm gonna have them charge and test it

Luckily, I did find a bad fuse... Anyone know what this is? Going to fix it and see if my gauges and fuel pump etc start working again20150910_074043_zpsujt6qmao.jpg

Edited by Steve Butters

I'm assuming the empty slot is where the bad fuse was.  Don't know that bike but based on the location and the size of the cables it is the main power fuse. The question is...why did it blow. Here is my current theory.

1) You do have a bad battery, thus the original problem.

2) Something went wrong with the jump and blew that fuse.

Tonik these are notorious for draining if not ridden... It sat for 2wks without being ridden and fired up in the garage but I immediately stopped for gas and it wouldn't start... I've had this issue on and off since new, and it seems most others do too... Battery tender if not riding every 2-3 days if what everyone on the cb forums does... I didn't plug mine in and now I'm stuck... This battery might be the cause, the dealer left key on and killed the bike before I ever rode it so they jumped it to get me home and maybe it's just never been right again, idk... But the only time I ever have starting issues is on short trips from cold (gas station is like 7 miles from my house)

why can't honda fix their damn electrical woes already. Bike is 7 years newer than my VFR and yet same issues with the battery draining if not hooked to a tender. damn you honda

I always blamed the vfr on the clock that runs 24/7 with no key in the ignition.. But this bike doesn't have a clock if it's off, so not sure what the deal is... Fucking Honda

Can a battery be hooked up backwards? I just went to reinstall and realized the terminals are flipped... So I probably went positive to negative when I jumped... But I've owned bike 2yrs and this is stock battery... But if I flip it, the cords don't reach.... Afraid to hook it up now, but I feel like it's had to have been this way the whole time

20150910_100653_zpsktm4wkrh.jpg

Edited by Steve Butters
  • Downvote 1