Broken down... Help?

Steve Butters

Neither of my Honda have these gremlins. Wonder what is different on this model?

Honda has had this reputation for 30+ years. They have held fast to an electronic design that leaves them open to failure. This is not a new thing and in most cases I have felt with, care of the machine has been the main culprit.

In AZ temps I would imagine your cooling fan runs quite a lot.  The fan draws a lot of current, leaving less available for battery charging, especially at low RPM.

That doesn't mean your battery won't charge.  It will just charge slower, so you need more riding time to fully charge.  Tender sounds like a good idea.

My Honda 919 manual says it doesn't charge below 3000rpm. That one time I left the key on, I ran in a lower gear at 4000rpm and higher to charge it back up. After the bump start. Bump starts work much better if you can get to a downhill slope. With the fuelie it seems like the speed has to be higher than back-in-the-day, to get it done. Might also take a few seconds to get current flowing to activate the fuel injection pump first.

Edited by ReconRat

Bike runs over 220 in the summer with fans going... They run constantly when it's warm, bike is around 217-220 while riding and high as 228 sitting

Are you running stock coolant? Change out to engine ice. My bike always ran over 200 out there until I swapped out to engine ice. After the swap, on interstates I was back into the 185-190 and city stayed around 200.

In traffic and at stoplights the fans came on.

Are you running stock coolant? Change out to engine ice. My bike always ran over 200 out there until I swapped out to engine ice. After the swap, on interstates I was back into the 185-190 and city stayed around 200.

In traffic and at stoplights the fans came on.

Wow had no clue that would be such a big difference... I'm due anyways, it's a 12 with 6k and factory coolant

www.hondacb1000r.com/forums/cb1000r-general/14624-bike-won-t-start.html

www.hondacb1000r.com/forums/maintenance/14861-starting-issue.html

www.hondacb1000r.com/forums/cb1000r-general/15142-hiss-problem-non-starter.html

www.hondacb1000r.com/forums/maintenance/14096-cb1000r-warm-start-issues-back-revenge.html

www.hondacb1000r.com/forums/maintenance/15667-faulty-battery.html

Edited by Steve Butters

Yea the originals had stator issues... This bike was released in I think 2008 or so over seas.. 2011 model got some minor updates, like different led light in headlamp and different forks/bars... The 2011+ are the only ones brought to USA so stator issues are supposedly corrected for all US models

My Honda 919 manual says it doesn't charge below 3000rpm. That one time I left the key on, I ran in a lower gear at 4000rpm and higher to charge it back up. After the bump start. Bump starts work much better if you can get to a downhill slope. With the fuelie it seems like the speed has to be higher than back-in-the-day, to get it done. Might also take a few seconds to get current flowing to activate the fuel injection pump first.

Ha!  I remember that!  It was in Lancaster, IIRC.  

On my sixth Honda and never used a battery tender. Never heard of a "reputation" for bad charging. I leave my bike for weeks at a time and it starts fine.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Somehow cbrs avoided this issue. At least my two did. Vfr was a totally different story