Help with helmet fit

Wojo72

I have been using a HJC CL-17 this season.  It felt good in the store after walking around for 10 minutes but it hurts my forehead after riding for 45 minutes or so.  I was hoping that it would break in but it has actually gotten worse because I shaved my head for the summer.  It actually leaves a red spot and lines on my forehead.  Shaving off the foam doesn't seem like a good idea from a safety perspective.  From what I have read I *think* that I need a long oval shaped helmet.  Anybody been though the same shit?   I'm about ready to bust out my $9 half helmet (needed something quick and cheap for my class)  because the discomfort is distracting on longer rides.  For what it's worth I'm thinking about a budget of $500 or so to get something that is lighter and doesn't make me want to to throw it in a ditch mid ride.

I had the same problem with my HJC years ago. My Shoei does not do that. So like the others said you need a more oval shaped helmet. Hit iron pony and start trying them on, the peeps there will know the ovals from the rounds.  Leave it on for 30 minutes, walk around the store and look at stuff.

I have a oval head and used a spoon on my first helmet to help aleave the forhead issue. Worked well but i feared about crash impact (and it was a cheap helmet). At motorcycle show two years ago i was measured by the Arai rep and was told to go with their Signet-Q helmet. When i tried it on, it felt really nice. No forehead push at all. 

Only problem is i thought all their helmets were ugly. Since we get one free return with Ridersdiscount, i would use the Signet-Q as my backup. I ended up buying a Bell Star Carbon as it too us a slightly oval helmet. I wore it in the house for 40 minutes when i received it and left no red impression or headache. 

I've used it as my road and track helmet for two years and have had no issues of red spotting or headaches like my old helmet.

TL:DR - Check our Bell Start and Arai Signet-Q

Edited by ludwb675

I had the same problem with my Scorpion. Nasty headache after half an hour.

See if you can get a friend to inspect the shape of your head from above, and then compare it to sizing charts online, as well as measuring the circumference of your head where it's widest with a fabric tape measure.

239779_10570_XL.jpg

Edited by Ryan_c_F

Once your headshape is established, here's a weblinked list of helmets by size so that you can start shopping once you establish your particulars and price-range.

GL -- post pics and a review when you make your decision!

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

You are in the Columbus area, go to the Iron Pony and try on a bunch.  They have all the different manufacturers available to try out.  +1 for Shoei.  I got the best fit for my melon with a Shoei GT Air.  You will be throwing some coin out for a Shoei, but it is worth it.  I paid about $500 for mine.  It is quiet, comfortable, has PIN Lock and the integrated sun visor.

Give RidersDiscount a chance to beat the shit out of Iron Pony pricing on a Shoei.  Mike on here knocked it out of the park on my RF1200.  I also moved from an HJC-16 to an RF1100 for the same reasons you mention.

Just be careful when trying on helmets at a location and then purchasing from another location.  I've heard many stories of guys who tried a helmet on at the store and ordered exact same helmet online and it didn't fit the same.   Not that you shouldn't get the best price for yourself, just be wary that it may not fit exactly the same as one you tried on in a store location. 

Bell, as far as I know, are the only ones that will have you slip on a head piece so they can take a scan of your entire head down to your shoulder line.  My wife had this done at MotoGP Indy a couple seasons ago because she has such trouble finding a helmet to fit her properly - this would ensure a helmet could be made to fit her exact measurements.   These are a pricey options at around $900, but the fitment is completely guaranteed.

Apparently I have a Frankenstein head. Intermediate with a broad forehead per the IP sales guy. The Shoei 1200 didn't feel bad but I had to scoot. I need to go back when I can wear it for a bit.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

I have been using a HJC CL-17 this season.  It felt good in the store after walking around for 10 minutes but it hurts my forehead after riding for 45 minutes or so.  I was hoping that it would break in but it has actually gotten worse because I shaved my head for the summer.  It actually leaves a red spot and lines on my forehead.  Shaving off the foam doesn't seem like a good idea from a safety perspective.  From what I have read I *think* that I need a long oval shaped helmet.  Anybody been though the same shit?   I'm about ready to bust out my $9 half helmet (needed something quick and cheap for my class)  because the discomfort is distracting on longer rides.  For what it's worth I'm thinking about a budget of $500 or so to get something that is lighter and doesn't make me want to to throw it in a ditch mid ride.

Massaging (not shaving) the foam is not a big deal. Use a big spoon to forcefully indent the foam a tiny bit. You won't even come close to compromising the padding or its effectiveness. Likely you'll only be pushing it in 1/32 or 1/16" if that. Do a little, try the helmet, repeat/rinse until no sore spots. Done it many times over the years.

Think about this, across many sizes there are only 2 or 3 molds and shell sizes - meaning some helmets have a thinner piece of foam than others. If reducing the foam by a tiny bit to alleviate a sore spot was a big deal, you'd see a foam insert and shell for every variation and size.

Edited by swingset

Massaging (not shaving) the foam is not a big deal. Use a big spoon to forcefully indent the foam a tiny bit. You won't even come close to compromising the padding or its effectiveness. Likely you'll only be pushing it in 1/32 or 1/16" if that. Do a little, try the helmet, repeat/rinse until no sore spots. Done it many times over the years.

Think about this, across many sizes there are only 2 or 3 molds and shell sizes - meaning some helmets have a thinner piece of foam than others. If reducing the foam by a tiny bit to alleviate a sore spot was a big deal, you'd see a foam insert and shell for every variation and size.

Show me the data on this.

Show me the data on this.

What data? To clarify what? I didn't say anything that would require data, just no-shit sherlock stuff about helmet foam thickness and shell sizes - easily verified by reading about helmet manufacturers or their processes.

When a helmet breaks in from new (to not quite as snug as the day you bought it), and they all do, what mechanism is responsible for this process? Compression (lessening) of the foam.

Anyone care to explain how taking just enough out to alleviate a hot spot is worse than doing it over time? If taking the foam down a tiny bit is deleterious to the helmet's effectiveness, then wearing it a lot is too.

Data: Captain Obvious

Once your headshape is established, here's a weblinked list of helmets by size so that you can start shopping once you establish your particulars and price-range.

GL -- post pics and a review when you make your decision!

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

That site is total crap, all the helmet i have ever worn that all felt equally comfortable are in all different catagories. Plus it has the Nolan N90 in the same group as the N103 and i love my N90 and i couldnt get that N103 off my head fast enough at the store. Edited by 2talltim

I have a similar shape head and the Shoeis and Arais fit great. My only gripe about the 2 Shoeis I've owned (TZR1000 and RF1100 is the visor whistles after I do a shoulder check above 40mph. For that, I'll likely buy a different helmet next time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

+1. Made a huge difference for a riding buddy last year who had been suffering from bad headaches in her CL-16 after 30 minutes. Once done, she was good for all day.

What data? To clarify what? I didn't say anything that would require data, just no-shit sherlock stuff about helmet foam thickness and shell sizes - easily verified by reading about helmet manufacturers or their processes.

When a helmet breaks in from new (to not quite as snug as the day you bought it), and they all do, what mechanism is responsible for this process? Compression (lessening) of the foam.

Anyone care to explain how taking just enough out to alleviate a hot spot is worse than doing it over time? If taking the foam down a tiny bit is deleterious to the helmet's effectiveness, then wearing it a lot is too.

Data: Captain Obvious

I think a headache caused by an ill fitting helmet is a safety concern and should be remedied.  A person would be thinking about their head as opposed to negotiating the road.  However, suggesting that a person should fix this by compressing sections or otherwise modifying the protective part of a helmet without knowing what the real effects are bothers me.  At what point do you stop?  Whatever you did to your helmet was probably very minimal and it's your own deal anyway, I can't tell you what to do, but encouraging others to this seems strange when there are better options.

Also, when a helmet breaks in, it is not the protective foam that changes, it is the padding/liners.  Those serve very little use in the event of a crash, only there to make it feel good until you use the other parts of the helmet.

The OP was up for getting a new, properly fitting helmet.  I would encourage him to do that and keep the HJC as a backup or for a passenger.

The OP was up for getting a new, properly fitting helmet.  I would encourage him to do that and keep the HJC as a backup or for a passenger.

Then by all means do so.  In the meanwhile, Craig and I will maintain that 1-2mm of foam compression in strategic places will both vastly improve Bob's comfort with the $150 helmet he already owns while maintaining all the safety it was originally designed for.  We're not recommending that he scoop out 1/2" the shell to make room for a bulging tumor that talks to him.

There are only a couple fiberglass shell sizes in the HJC helmets.  The rest of the sizes are accommodated by thicker - AND THINNER - foam inserts.  In fact, HJC sells replacement chin/cheek foam for people with sculpted jaws for a more fitted feel.  1-2mm or compression is no big deal, and another $150 for a different helmet seems unnecessary when a spoon and 30 minutes will do the trick.

Replacement cheekpads do nothing for safety in the event of a crash. They are not crash protection. At all. Those are purely comfort items. If you want to compress the stuff that protects your brain, that's your deal, but trying to defend it by saying the replacement cheekpads are related is false.