Roadrage Intentional hit during pass 2-up helmet only gear (texas)

motocat12

That's crazy! Back woods hillbilly who thinks he owns the road. The dude even admits to swerving to hit them then says he doesn't care?.. What a piece of shit! Speedy recovery to those folks and I hope that hillbilly rots in prison!

Saw this on another forum, not sure of the source.

Driver involved in Saturday’s motorcycle crash arrested

October 19, 2015

William CrumWilliam Crum, 68, was arrested late Monday afternoon and charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in connection with a crash Saturday on Tin Top Highway, District Attorney Rob Christian said early Monday evening. The crash involved a car that swerved across the center line and struck a motorcycle, injuring the driver and passenger as they fell to the pavement. Christian said that each charge against Crum, if convicted, carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison. The motorcycle passenger, Debra Simpson of Granbury, was moved Monday from the ICU to a regular room at Harris Methodist Hospital. She has serious arm and leg injuries, but is listed in stable condition, according to her boyfriend Eric Sanders of Granbury. Sanders, the driver of the motorcycle, was treated at Harris for road burn, lacerations and abrasions.

This is an interesting case to me.  It's a unique scenario where the criminal fault seems clear, but the civil liability will be murky.   Or perhaps it won't - I'm not licensed in Texas, but in a civil suit, there's a much more compelling argument for "he shouldn't have been making an illegal pass in the first place."  That's far less relevant in a criminal action. 

Rob Christian is in fact a DA in Texas. http://www.txdirectory.com/online/person/?id=13772

Ohio has a provision that allows you to pass on a double yellow if the driver is doing half the speed limit or less (i think). I wonder if Texas has a similar provision and if it applies here...

Half the speed limit or less, and the overtaking vehicle can pass the slower vehicle without exceeding the speed limit, and complete the pass in a safe manner.  That didn't look applicable here.

Just pointing out, when you do this you need to move FAR more to the left when passing.  You always need to create space.  Space gives you time to avoid.

I think that's going to be this guy's defense.  "I never even saw the motorcycle until after it hit me.  I was swerving to avoid something in the road." 

I wonder if the relationship of the couple on the accident bike will endure the long legal process once her medical bills start stacking up and her parents, family members get involved. Her father must be proud of her early life choices.

In Ohio you cannot be charged if the other vehicle was operating unlawfully. Which the bike seemingly was.

This isn't true, I know someone with no motorcycle license and someone hit them. The driver was charged even though he shouldn't have been on the road. The driver even tried to fight it.