Coyote? Not any more...

ReconRat

Coyotes are not pure coyote anymore. Some places are now calling them coywolf, coywolves. Apparently DNA testing is showing that coyotes can have 10% to 25% grey wolf DNA, as well as 10% to 25% domestic dog DNA. Makes them bigger and more adaptable to food sources. Areas where the hybrids have been found are New York, Pennsylvania, Virgina and Ohio. No red wolf hybrids have been found.

Coyote-Wolf Hybrids Have Spread Across U.S. East

I remember seeing two coyotes in a Chicago suburb on trash day. Walking right down the middle of the road. Snooping through the trash. I thought they were way too tall/big, compared to Ohio coyotes. The ones in Columbus are tiny. But still big enough to chase raccoons.

edit: Barely found in Ohio. Most of the hybrids are staying in the Appalatian Mountains and spreading South.

Edited by ReconRat

Coyotes are not pure coyote anymore. Some places are now calling them coywolf, coywolves. Apparently DNA testing is showing that coyotes can have 10% to 25% grey wolf DNA, as well as 10% to 25% domestic dog DNA. Makes them bigger and more adaptable to food sources. Areas where the hybrids have been found are New York, Pennsylvania, Virgina and Ohio. No red wolf hybrids have been found.

Coyote-Wolf Hybrids Have Spread Across U.S. East

I remember seeing two coyotes in a Chicago suburb on trash day. Walking right down the middle of the road. Snooping through the trash. I thought they were way too tall/big, compared to Ohio coyotes. The ones in Columbus are tiny. But still big enough to chase raccoons.

The ones I see here aren't small. In fact, I've thought they were wolves before. Not skinny and afraid like your normal yotes. There's one dead on the left side of 70w just east of Brice Rd. It's huge. 

The ones I see here aren't small. In fact, I've thought they were wolves before. Not skinny and afraid like your normal yotes. There's one dead on the left side of 70w just east of Brice Rd. It's huge. 

Yeah, there are plenty East of Columbus. I can hear them calling at night when I'm out that way. And they don't sound small.

Interesting.  I guess I'd worry more if I had smaller dogs, or a shorter fence.

The internet says that coyotes aren't really pack hunters ...unless they're taking down larger prey, like a deer.  So that's pretty much contradictory and useless information.  That part makes me more concerned.  If there are 2 or more of them, they're up for attempting human-sized prey.  Suddenly my 75 lbs. dog seems more vulnerable, and our 35 lbs. dog is a sitting duck.  I don't know how much my daughter weighs off-hand, but it goes without saying that she wouldn't fair well.

damn my lazy ass already has second thoughts about letting the dog out in the new backyard by himself cause of the woods and this doesn't help. Granted I've yet to see anything other than deer and squirrels back there for the most part. Did see a Fox for the first time bolting out of the woods and across the street yesterday

Here we go... Coyote fear mongering coupled with I like to hunt, coyotes are bad, can I hunt them on your property. Bla bla bla.

Maybe city yotes attack your pet because they're starving but in habitat where they have natural prey they haven't attacked shit.

I read an article on Coywolves/coy dogs the other day. It's no mystery yotes will breed dogs but how often do you hear a dog owner saying their dog gave birth to coyote looking critters.

Here's 3 pics all 2015 regardless of the date. Guess the weight.... I think the ones part beagle....I'm surprised I havnt been attacked yet and my dogs and the neighborhood children haven't been eaten.

post-9795-0-15257800-1447211449_thumb.jp

post-9795-0-82212300-1447211465_thumb.jp

post-9795-0-18691700-1447211484_thumb.jp

Edited by Gump

Lol at the fence comment... A coyote can go right over your fence, I haven't seen it, but unless it's a 10ft fence, a coyote can get over it... They get over our 6-7 foot walls out here and snatch up little dogs all the time... I can't imagine AZ coyotes being much different from OH coyotes

I think your 75# dog and children will be quite fine however... I've never heard of coyotes killing that kinda shit, and if it has happened, it has to be a rare occurrence. I saw a video of a dog fighting off 3 full grown wolves and living to tell the tale, I'm sure coyotes know better than to go after something that much bigger than them... Coyotes are normally little cowards

post-9795-0-26362800-1447218151_thumb.jp

post-9795-0-18313300-1447218158_thumb.jp

post-9795-0-94449700-1447218165_thumb.jp

post-9795-0-32995700-1447218174_thumb.jp

post-9795-0-73343700-1447218182_thumb.jp

post-9795-0-01362300-1447218190_thumb.jp

post-9795-0-49074800-1447218196_thumb.jp

post-9795-0-41697600-1447218200_thumb.jp

post-9795-0-72737800-1447218204_thumb.jp

post-9795-0-33442800-1447218219_thumb.jp

Years of collecting trail cam pics and they all stay fairly consistent. Minus the red one. The last pic looks to be a flea infested momma yote.

Edited by Gump

They are all over my neighborhood area, I have seen them in my front yard at night as well as my backyard. The rabbit population is pretty much gone now, but the upside is I have not seen many coons or possum nearly as much. Small dogs and cats are disappearing, so is that a coincidence? My Father in law knows 100% for a fact that his Jack Russel was killed by yotes, 1 lured him in back to the others "he witnessed it" and he never came home.......he ALWAYS comes home. Of course those were country yotes, I have never seen more than 1 at any given time in my burb.

Is there some coyote rights movement I'm not aware of?

Bingo. I don't care what species things are. If its a nuisance and poses any sort of issue to my way of life it can be exterminated and I give zero fucks.

My motto: I'm higher on the food chain thus I make the rules. My wife is particulary terrible with this, like some sort of bleeding heart when it comes to all animals. Including the damn deer that shit all over my damn backyard

Edited by Bad324

In suburban areas they tend to live near & travel along train tracks.  There are tracks behind the far side of my neighborhood.  A neighbor took a photo of a den with several adults and some pups.  They wander through our neighborhood at night.

They don't bother me enough to go track them down, but I'd shoot one if it was in my yard.

• Upvote 1

The old house we had a pack living in the woods across the lake from our yard. They never bothered me because they did not come down the path next to the lake that was only 1 house over so I left them alone. There was one time when the lake was frozen over and saw them walking out in the middle of it and hoped they'd fall right through but alas they did not.

Only time they got messed with was when my wife got mad they were attacking a geese family in the spring. My wife was determined to save the geese (who coincidentally also shit in my backyard so I didn't care if they were exterminated) and started chucking rocks at the coyotes. I was happy to learn I was marrying a chick that didn't totally throw like a girl cause she nailed them a couple times from about 80-90ft out

Edited by Bad324

Now I remember... a friend had a dog that had a litter of pups that appeared to be half coyote. Aggresive little poopers, they were. We had to put the food out in seperate far corners of the yard to keep them from fighting over it. But they would still run across the yard and attack if another pup tried to get food. Not willing to share at all. I swear they burned off more energy than they gained...