Got the Tesla!

Tonik

Ok, self driving needs some work.  Had my first oh shit moment on the way to work today.

On the turnpike, three lanes...in the left lane passing two trucks side by side. So the truck in the middle lane was moved over a bit towards my lane but certainly still in his. As I got beside them we hit a big left hander and he crowded me more and got right to the edge of the lane line between us.  The car freaked out over that and disengaged auto drive. It screams at you when that happens. Since we were in a left hander if I wasn't paying real close attention and had a hand on the wheel I would have drifted enough to the right that I would have nailed him.

And I don't like the way it stay's pretty much perfectly centered in the lane.  When passing on a freeway, even just a car, I like to move away from what I am passing. Dunno how they will be able to compensate for that........interesting problem.

Edited by Tonik

So I used the nav today.  It is very slick.  On the full screen in the center console is a full nav with maps and all the functions.  But it also pops a mini map to the left of the spedo.  So once you fire nav up you can pull down another app on the main screen and get your nav from the spedo area.  It also only uses the left front speaker for spoken directions so other peeps can still jam.

post-10994-0-77428400-1449751682_thumb.j

• Upvote 1

I don't like the way it stay's pretty much perfectly centered in the lane.  When passing on a freeway, even just a car, I like to move away from what I am passing. Dunno how they will be able to compensate for that........interesting problem.

It won't be an issue when every car on the road is self-driving as well.  

I am not surprised this is happening, just how it's happening.  I hadn't expected lane-marker detection from the manufacturers.  I thought we'd see magnetic markers embedded in roads, and then the car companies would just settle on a universal system for detecting whatever marker the government decided to use.

I thought we'd see magnetic markers embedded in roads, and then the car companies would just settle on a universal system for detecting whatever marker the government decided to use.

I still think it may go in that direction...maybe a special paint.

It'll have to be some kind of embedded magnet, metal, something for any northern states. Any kind of fully automated car will have to somehow drive in snowy conditions for it to be worthwhile for the majority of the population. I don't see many people buying it as a summer car. 

Good point. Wonder how Google is doing it, their self driving is light years ahead of TESLA. Their cars are fully self driving. Lights, traffic....you just tell it where to go. TESLA os really more of an auto pilot.

So twenty years or so ago when Dave was 16 he borrowed the wife's car. First and only time he ever got to use it.  She gave him the speech on acceptable use of the car.  When she got it back she found a beer cap under the seat.

Last night she put this in his car.

post-10994-0-37438000-1449780975_thumb.j

• Upvote 4

So twenty years or so ago when Dave was 16 he borrowed the wife's car. First and only time he ever got to use it. She gave him the speech on acceptable use of the car. When she got it back she found a beer cap under the seat.

Last night she put this in his car.

Empty cans of beast strewn about the cabin oughta do it

So Tonik, if it was affordable for you, would you purchase one? I'm still feeling like it's excessive to spend 100K on a car, even though it's super cool. In the end, it's a method of conveyance from point a to b. They money I save by buying a cheaper car I could spend on other toys.

Not in that price range I wouldn't. It is awesome, but not 85/100K awesome when you consider what other choices there are in that price range. Jag F type and the Audi R8 come to mind right away.

Now, get it down to 60K or so and I would be all over it.

I'm prolly going to place an order for the new MB GLC300 SUV today...I'll revisit the Tesla in a year or two when my wife decides she wants a new car. She just spent a bunch of $ expanding her business so I don't feel good about spending $100k on a car when our reserves are somewhat depleted. Truthfully, I'd have a hard time doing it even if that weren't the case. The good thing is, they seem to be holding their value pretty well...even the used ones are being snapped up as quick as they become available.

So Tonik, if it was affordable for you, would you purchase one? I'm still feeling like it's excessive to spend 100K on a car, even though it's super cool. In the end, it's a method of conveyance from point a to b. They money I save by buying a cheaper car I could spend on other toys.

The Model 3 is going to be the keystone for the company, I think.

Looking at the MSRP ($35k), you're stacked up against 3-series BMWs and A4 Audis, and fully loaded American/Japanese sedans. But your real-world performance is better. Your operating costs are in another world -- equivalent of 90+mpg running costs, no oil, no head gaskets, no engine internals, no fuel pumps or coolant lines. And they are gorgeous cars with tons of space, and they handle well because the center of gravity is so low.

I probably won't ever be able to afford a Model S or a roadster. But a Model 3 is definitely in my plans.

The Model 3 is going to be the keystone for the company, I think.

Looking at the MSRP ($35k)....

That will be a 40KW model with nothing on it.  I will bet one with 90KW and all the goodies is 80K or more.

• 2 weeks later...