Small shop crane for maintenance?

Wojo72

I'd like to have a way to get the bike off of the ground.  All of the lifts that I have seen don't work with sport bikes because the exaust is in the way.  One option would be to pick up a set of stands.  I also thought about something like this instead of two ladders, a broom stick and some straps.  :)

image_21460.jpg

I use jack stands 1 on each side of the swingarm(helps to have spools-I acquired a couple from a bike I flipped). Then I have a piece of angle iron on garage ceiling w/ holes drilled in it that I hook ratchet straps to to lift the front by the triple. Not sure about your lift idea. Will you be able to get high enough with the arm/lever?

My method is kinda ghetto. I of course use my center stand for the rear then when I need the front up I put two 50 lb sand bags on the rear seat and rack. [emoji14]

That what I do too.  A weight on the back of the bike if I can't use an axle stand under the front axle.

Do I use the hoist to stage the bike on the roof?

I use a short rope. Tie one end to the roof of the garage and the other to the back of the bike. Then just drive off the roof and let it hang.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

I've got an older version of this.  Great investment.  Lifts the entire bike, and it's mobile with the bike strapped/lifted.   Works for bikes, riding mowers/decks, most anything else under half ton and less than a 1ft tall.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professional-1500-lb-motorcycle-atv-jack/p-00950191000P'>http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professional-1500-lb-motorcycle-atv-jack/p-00950191000P

How does a proper stand work when removing the rear shock?

For the fraction of a % of the time when I want to lift the rear without loading the rear shock I put the bike on the triple tree stand in the front & the spool stand in the rear. I then put some cheap automotive jack stands under the rear sets & remove the spool stand. Pit Bull also makes some nice motorcycle specific jack stands.