Ducati Monster 821 vs a Yamaha FJ 09?

drc32-0

I'm just looking around right now,but these are two of my front runners as a lighter weight corner carver to augment the FJR and KLR.I usually look at bikes that fit all my riding needs-long distance,all weather conditions-but this purchase is going to be just for twisty roads close to home(usually) in good weather.

Thoughts?

The 821 Hyper seems to have a lot more issues than the prior gen air cooled engines.  Unsure how much that carries over to the Monster but I would think they are pretty close.  An older air cooled Hyper is a blast in the curvy bits.  Especially the 796 like I have.  Light and flickable. 

While Tpoppa is generally wrong on most political/social issues, he is dead nuts on with this.  Since it is shorter runs the Duc is the way to go, it will carve and dance way better than the FJ.

Edited by Tonik

the two people with the strongest opinions on motorcycle handling have never been on a race track. :lolhitsign:

I have riddin with both of these gentlemen. I can assure you that just because a race track may not be their prefered form of riding they are no slouches. Maybe you should join us/them on a ride sometime. You will be impressed.

• Upvote 4

I haven't read a lot about either but I'm guessing that the FJ has the better engine (I've ridden it and it's killer) and the Ducati will have better components (i.e. suspension). I'd go with the one that has the better engine and mod the suspension as needed. Honestly, the Duc probably is better paired against the FZ09 as it's a true naked bike while the FJ has some wind protection and luggage options.

the two people with the strongest opinions on motorcycle handling have never been on a race track.   :lolhitsign:

We've ridden with track guys on the street lol, and they couldn't/ didn't want to keep up in some cases. I'm sure if I jumped onto Mid-O with some of you guys the same thing would happen. Track vs. Street are two totally different animals. Tpoppa is one hell of a rider.
  • Upvote 1

I think for the purpose stated, the duc fits best. The FJ is a sporty adventure tourer. Suspension and chassis are compromised in this manner. The fz09 is more a competitor to the Duc, but the Duc wins out in the suspension/chassis/brakes department. The engine on the Duc is a great engine. I'm not sure what problems the hyper 821's have, seeing that I own one and haven't had any issue with the engine?

If you were planning on getting rid of your FJR (and possibly the KLR), the Yamaha FJ would be the better choice. But if you truly want a more single purpose focused machine, for sure the Duc out of those two.

Besides, you get to act like a pompous douche as soon as you take delivery of a Ducati.

Dooooocati

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO it would be tough to justify having both an FJ and FJR.  They could be modded to fill pretty much the same role.

If you want lightweight corner carver the Duc would do nicely.  I would also take a look at a 675 Street Triple.

the two people with the strongest opinions on motorcycle handling have never been on a race track.    :lolhitsign:

Not even worth a response (other than this response saying not worthy of a response).

Edited by Tpoppa

Same as everyone else has been saying. If you are looking for a carver ducati between the duc and fj. Don't rule out the fz series though. Even then at face value I would still say ducati over the fz due to its sub-par suspension in that particular match up.

But. For the money you will have in it, I vote neither. Grab an FZ and put the money you saved not buying the duc into suspension work. Then you will have a great handling bike perfectly capable of handling ling trips as well as an excellent and reliable engine. Not to mention less expensive to own and easier to work on yourself than the ducati as well.

That's what I would do.

Edited by Heagachongoose

Same as everyone else has been saying. If you are looking for a carver ducati between the duc and fj. Don't rule out the fz series though. Even then at face value I would still say ducati over the fz due to its sub-par suspension in that particular match up.

But. For the money you will have in it, I vote neither. Grab an FZ and put the money you saved not buying the duc into suspension work. Then you will have a great handling bike perfectly capable of handling ling trips as well as an excellent and reliable engine. Not to mention less expensive to own and easier to work on yourself than the ducati as well.

That's what I would do.

This ^^^

That's what I would do.

Another vote for this. Suspension ideas here: http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/yamaha-fz-09-improving-the-suspension?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=boosted-post&utm_content=stream&utm_term=yamaha-fz-09-improving