Who here does Crossfit?

jporter12

As redkaw pointed out, you're paying for the support system -- how about you give me $45/mo (half what your local "Box" charges you), and for that I'll text you words of encouragement for an hour while reminding you to write down your reps?  Don't even need to critique your form, Crossfit doesn't, they'll just wait until you injure yourself or get rhabdomyolysis.

Rhabdo.jpg

Edited by Disclaimer
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, whaler said:

Cross fit turns people into kool-aid drinking cult followers.  Next thing you know, you only wear shorts (no matter the temperature), flip flops, and drive a Jeep.

No Jeep for me!  I hate them.  And shorts?  I already wear them most of the summer anyway, and I HATE the cold, so no go in the winter.

34 minutes ago, Disclaimer said:

As redkaw pointed out, you're paying for the support system -- how about you give me $45/mo (half what your local "Box" charges you), and for that I'll text you words of encouragement for an hour while reminding you to write down your reps?  Don't even need to critique your form, Crossfit doesn't, they'll just wait until you injure yourself or get rhabdomyolysis.

At this point, I'm just going in to talk to the owner.  If I had any idea of what to do on my own, I would sign up for the local gym, but the only ones convenient to me are not staffed, and I want to have a plan to get results.  I see it as more than a support system, it's a plan of WHAT to do, hopefully HOW to do it, AND the support to get it done.  I'm not just jumping in with both feet, because I know that $90 a month is a LOT of money!  

10 hours ago, jporter12 said:

At this point, I'm just going in to talk to the owner.  If I had any idea of what to do on my own, I would sign up for the local gym, but the only ones convenient to me are not staffed, and I want to have a plan to get results.  I see it as more than a support system, it's a plan of WHAT to do, hopefully HOW to do it, AND the support to get it done.  I'm not just jumping in with both feet, because I know that $90 a month is a LOT of money!  

Hey, if it helps you meet your goals then it is totally worth it.:cheers:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, blue03636 said:

I know all the ones around here you have to workout when they do. They set the times when they will be working out and that's the only time you can be there. Not sure if they are all that way or not.

They have a schedule with sessions that begin at 6 am, with the latest at 7:30 pm.  I SHOULD be able to make something work without killing family time.

16 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

Hey, if it helps you meet your goals then it is totally worth it.:cheers:

Even if it's just for a while for me to learn what sort of stuff I need to do, that I might be able to do on my own.  Maybe do the CF during the winter, and on my own when the weather is nice?  I don't know for sure yet, but I HAVE to do something, and that something HAS to be positive, and something that I will stick with.  It's not ONLY about the fitness, it's also some discipline toward the need for fitness that I need, if that makes any sense.

17 minutes ago, jporter12 said:

I don't know for sure yet, but I HAVE to do something, and that something HAS to be positive, and something that I will stick with.  It's not ONLY about the fitness, it's also some discipline toward the need for fitness that I need, if that makes any sense.

I was in the waiting room for a pain management Dr. just before Christmas.  It was filled with overweight, unhealthy, miserable people.  I decided then and there I would NEVER be one of them.  That's all the motivation I needed.  

Since then I've lost 15 lbs (8 more to go).  I'm exercising and eating better but nothing too crazy.

I eat a lot of tuna, salmon, and grilled chicken (high protein, low calorie foods).  I cut WAY down on snack foods (stuff I would eat when I was bored), and I cut out fast food, which I don't really like anyway.

For exercise I do 60-100 pushups a day.  I do sets of 20 at random times throughout the day, a set takes less than 1 minute.  I also do 30 minutes on a stationary bike 3 times a week.  It's been pretty easy to stick with.

I feel better.  My body is more comfortable.  I'm even sleeping better.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

If you just want a plan, I could type that up for you in 20 minutes...  There is no real "secret" to weight lifting form.  If you aren't using inappropriately heavy weight, you shouldn't hurt yourself.

This. Go on YouTube to get an idea of the proper form for the exercises you plan to do then practice them, most you could practice at home even without weights. Such as if you wanted to practice your squat and bench press form, grab a broom stick and do some reps. The biggest thing I think that kills proper technique is too much weight, like redkow said. And I have a couple beginner workouts as well I could send you to try if that's something you're interested in, just PM me.

And like others have said, diet plays a big role in your success for either weight loss, muscle gain, etc. 

I got a weight set off craigslist for cheap. It has a bench and an adjustable height rack. It goes tall enough for me to do squats and has adjustable height safety bars in case you cant get the weight back up. Cost me $150 and came with 175lbs of weights. 

I find for me i'm much more likely to exercise at home than drive 20 minutes to a gym. I do the 5x5 stronglift routine and have almost doubled my starting weights (but i did start off pretty light). I can't squat too much though because of my knees so i just do more reps at a lighter weight. 

But do whatever it will take for you to stick with it. If you need the support of the group, then do it. My wife hates working out at home. She needs the motivation of the group. She splits between cycling and TRX at a local place. It costs $11 a session i think. 

$90 is $90, if you want to spend money on cheerleaders then that's your perogative.  The "coach" isn't going to teach you any more than some respectable YouTube videos you can find with some simple GoogleFu.  I get it, some people like/need that "personal" touch, like interactive YouTube.  If you feel you're getting your $$$$'s worth, then only you can be the judge of that.

Pushups are free (incline, decline, close grip tricep, wide, all the kinds!), squats are free, lunges are free, dips are free, running is free -- there are TONS of bodyweight, balance, and isolation moves that'll whip you into shape really quick -- all free.  Discipline is also free, you just have to work at it.

Edited by Disclaimer

I'd settle for a local bubby that would go jog with me or work out with me in my basment several times a week. I know what to do and how I need to do it I just lack motivation and a support partner. I have a active job that keeps me moving and on my feet all day and I know Judd does too, if I didn't I'd be even bigger than I am now. My biggest problem is I LOVE FOOD, I know a lot of people say that but I truly do. I love flavors and spices and just that feeling after a a some meals that is so satisfying. And I don't mean the love of junk food and fast food. I truly enjoy large home cooked meals and a big steak, bbq or some really good Mexican cuisine. I really don't want to give up my relationship with food I'd just like to counter it with some extra calorie burning habits. I'm like judd don't really care about how I look I just want to feel better, and that usually goes hand in hand with loss of inches.

38 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

I have a active job that keeps me moving and on my feet all day and I know Judd does too, if I didn't I'd be even bigger than I am now. My biggest problem is I LOVE FOOD, I know a lot of people say that but I truly do. I love flavors and spices and just that feeling after a a some meals that is so satisfying. And I don't mean the love of junk food and fast food. I truly enjoy large home cooked meals and a big steak, bbq or some really good Mexican cuisine. I really don't want to give up my relationship with food I'd just like to counter it with some extra calorie burning habits.

I work from home and sit at a desk all day that's about 30 feet from my kitchen.  Without discipline I'd be 

fats.jpg

Edited by Tpoppa

I work from home and sit at a desk all day that's about 30 feet from my kitchen.  Without discipline I'd be 

imageproxy.php?img=https%3A%2F%2Faspoonfulofsuga.files.wordpress.com%2F2012%2F05%2Ffats.jpg&key=4de29c37851e2ef135f30429e313d136a40a662544c0e2156364ee01413d595c

This is my office and I'm up and down these stairs to the 12 foot high platform at least 10 times a hour so 80 trips a day. If ot weren't for that I'd be 400lbs.

0fefc9a9bfb1b31cd4159f53df096d53.jpg

I work from home a few days a week usually...I bought a desk that raises and lowers so i can stand at least part of the time. I snack on sunflower seeds (in the shell) which keeps the hunger edge off, relatively healthy and you can't eat a lot of them in a short period of time so you can't really go overboard.

If you were local here, I'd buddy up with ya. I have a small home gym which makes it easier for me (not that you could tell by looking at me) imageproxy.php?img=undefined&key=5d82123c281532de82482930b383b7e9b3a0c95a06b23f6663b053173593c2f6

Same here man, I have a wie gh t machine, bench, tread mill, eliptical and all that in my basement. Lots of people I know would buddy up just noone local

If you can honestly make it to the gym 5 days a week, that is awesome.  I average between 2 and 3 ,and try to be active at least one day per weekend.   I was a 5-6 day/week guy when i was single and living with my parents, and even throughout the time i lived with a roommate.  But with a kid at home, I only have so many hours a day that she and I are both awake.  I leave before she wakes up, and I get home at 7:00 on days i go to the gym. she's in bed at 8:00...

As for diet, cutting out fast food, soda, and beer will do more (for guys) than most people would ever imagine.  I find that my diet starts more at the grocery store than in the kitchen.   I do not buy ice cream, soda, or chips (tortilla chips excepted).   I do buy a lot of hummus and vegetables to dip in it.  Popcorn and nuts are also good snacks.  Nuts tend to be fatty, but un-processed fatty foods are still better for you than something processed (my opinion.  no medical basis to back that up).  I take the same stance on cheeses.  if it's in block form, it's okay - if it comes in a can or a squeezable tube, it's not.

...now i'm going to get some Taco Bell

Just now, ScubaCinci said:

Isn't that what alcohol is for?

One night stand definitely, but marriage? I'd have to keep her drunk and that could get expensive. Plus, I don't drink much. I consider it work and I don't like to work to get inebriated. 

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Also so eventually I can trick some poor woman into marrying me.

For the love of motorsports don't do. Next thing you know you'll be prepping for twins and all your plans will be shot to hell

• Upvote 2