2013 Ford Eco Boost Question

Chrome

Driving home tonight and came upon a slower car, I gunned it and passed them. Halfway through the pass the motor felt like it was missing and the check engine started flashing. Anyone else ever experience this? If so what was your outcome. Couldn't tell exactly if it was the motor or transmission slipping. I'm going to try and duplicate it again tomorrow to see if it will do it. I know if I take it to the dealership it won't do it of course. 

2013 Ford F-150 fx4 Eco boost 

83k miles 

always services at the dealership 

just had the oil changed, soon as I left the turbo sensor went out. Turned around and got that replaced as well. 

Thoughts??

Sister-in-law's 2013 escape turbo has been nothing but trouble.

under 40k on it and it's already on its second turbo. Lots of other issues too. They filed a lemon law suit and took a settlement and extended warranty. 

My my guess is turbo. 

I used to lurk on the F150 forum--one of the best for finding info about your Ford truck--and there were lots of threads about the power loss and misfire issues with the Eco-Boost.  I don't follow that thread because I have the old 4.6-3V V8, which I absolutely love, so I can't add anything particularly useful here.  Here is a sticky from the forum that will take you the rest of your weekend to read and maybe shed some light on the problem.  Good luck.

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/2011-55-60mph-5-0-shuddering-ecoboost-engine-miss-loss-power-possible-fixes-128636/

• Upvote 1

I have a '13 F150 EB as well as a '13 SHO EB.  First things...DO NOT run Seafoam in your truck!  Injector cleaner will do little to help you either.  Remember these motors are direct injected. Second...the Escape EB is not the same so comparing it to the F150 for problems is well....stupid.

Now on to trying to figure out your issue.  If the engine light came on then there's a very good chance it threw a code and you need to get that pulled before trying to even begin speculating on what the issue could be.  I've never had any issues with our F150 at all. My SHO though I've had do what you have experienced but I'm running performance tunes on both the car and the truck.  I did not find any codes when my car acted like this.  The computer saw something it didn't like and basically put it into limp mode as soon as I let off the throttle making a pass on another car.  When it does this it basically will not let the car build any kind of boost thus the power loss.  You probably heard the blow offs just venting constantly even when you tried to give it more throttle.

So...stop by any auto parts store and have them pull any codes you have.  If you have an ODB tool pull them yourself.  Report back and we can find out what they mean and go from there.

One common issue is carbon buildup on the valves on the intake side.  Carbon build up is due to the way the PCV system is on the EB motors allowing excessive oil to be pulled back into the intake tract.  The only two solutions is to do the VTA mod or buy a catch can with a clean side separator to prevent this but either could void your warranty for some absurd excuse by Ford.  I have the VTA mod done on the car so I simply hook them back up when I take it in for service so they don't throw a fit.  This is why injector cleaners won't help again...there is no fuel showering the intake valves to clean off the deposits.  I highly doubt this is your issue but I'm sure it has some build up with 80k+ miles.

Another common issue is spark plug related...I believe Ford changed the spark gap from earlier production years to later ones.  Either way you need to be changing out the plugs on the EB motors more often than recommended.  They say 100k miles I believe but you should be changing them much more often.  I've changed out the plugs on both truck and car once already and they both only had about 40K miles at that time.

I should point out that the carbon build up on the intake valves is not unique to EB engines.  This will happen with any direct injected engine.

28 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Not a fan of the EB motors.  OTOH the 3.5 Ecotec has been great so far.

I'm not a fan of anything GM but that's more to due with how they can't run their business (just like Chrysler).  My EB's have been great as long as you know how to take care of them.

Had a 13 escape and had to replace the turbo also. They rejected the warranty saying the push rod had been bent manually for some BS reason. I had just bought it used so I took it back to the dealership I bought it from and because I  was within my 3 day return window ended up having them replace it for me free of charge. The check engine light came on to replace the turbo under the same conditions. Floored it to see how it runs with the turbo and it kinda cut out then the check engine light came on.

I never was very happy with that car. Other than the turbo it did not give me any problems mechanically though.

16 hours ago, Chrome said:

How do I get it off? 

The only real way to do it that won't potentially hurt the engine is to have the heads removed and blast the valves with walnut shells or the like. There are places the specialize in doing it also without removing the heads.

Edited by r1crusher

20 hours ago, speedytriple said:

You could try running a can of seafoam or using some injector cleaner that you pour in the gas. 

Nooooooo. Not on an ecoboost it'll fry the turbos. If it's warranty it's head replacement if not its sandblasting. 

The only way to prevent it is....

top teir fuel (shell, BP, marathon)

low voc oil such as pennzoil platinum 

chevron Techron every 5k which. Is the only fuel additive approved for ecoboost

and a catch can on pcv and breather. 

Edited by zx3vfr

I hate Yugo's but I'm not posting about it here since that's not what this thread is about.  I don't think Chrome cares about me hating Yugo's, someone hating Ford or someone loving BMWs.  I'm not discounting your opinions in any way, I'm just trying to help out Chrome without throwing in my opinions.

So....Chrome, were you able to pull any codes?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, r1crusher said:

I hate Yugo's but I'm not posting about it here since that's not what this thread is about.  I don't think Chrome cares about me hating Yugo's, someone hating Ford or someone loving BMWs.  I'm not discounting your opinions in any way, I'm just trying to help out Chrome without throwing in my opinions.

So....Chrome, were you able to pull any codes?

I will get them tomorrow. I was slammed today. The more I look into these issues, the more I want to off this truck before it starts nickel and dimeing me. I also have a shimmy at highway speeds that looks like it is another unknown issue that ford can't figure out. Awesome....

Has it acted up at all again since the last "episode"?  You seem to have had 80k miles of mostly trouble free time with the truck.  It could simply be something maintenance wise that's required and you'll have that with anything.

As for the "shimmy"...these trucks have electric steering so it could just need a software update to the control module.  I know that there was an update for the SHO's.  Tire's deteriorated?  Just spit balling.

I didn't read the rest of the comments but please don't do anything stupid like add seafoam to that truck...mine did the exact same thing and it is very common and there is nothing wrong with the truck...You need to have the turbo filter replaced, it has moisture in it.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, r1crusher said:

Has it acted up at all again since the last "episode"?  You seem to have had 80k miles of mostly trouble free time with the truck.  It could simply be something maintenance wise that's required and you'll have that with anything.

As for the "shimmy"...these trucks have electric steering so it could just need a software update to the control module.  I know that there was an update for the SHO's.  Tire's deteriorated?  Just spit balling.

I have tried to duplicate it now a couple of times. It's hit and miss. Sometimes it will do it. Trouble free, yes!  This truck is nice and I love it. That's why I hate having these issues. Tires are good, haven't had any issues with steering. Seems like I need some software updates done. 

27 minutes ago, bowdog said:

I didn't read the rest of the comments but please don't do anything stupid like add seafoam to that truck...mine did the exact same thing and it is very common and there is nothing wrong with the truck...You need to have the turbo filter replaced, it has moisture in it.

Where can I find this filter?