2013 Ford Eco Boost Question

Chrome

8 minutes ago, bowdog said:

I got mine from Ricart. You wont be happy (i definitely wasn't) but it cost about $700 for filter and labor for them to do it and it needs done about every 70,000 miles.

Did you notice a difference after it was done? 

No it isn't part of the service even though it should be! 100% difference, mine got to the point that every time i stomped the gas to go around someone it felt like the transmission was slipping and about to blow out from under the truck. As soon as filter was replaced you could stomp the gas and it would break the tires loose again.

Also the check engine flashing is what it is supposed to do...From what i have learned on this truck is that the code wont be in the system unless it flashes. if it comes on and goes off without flashing then the code never registers...so now that it flashed it is in the system and your dealer can pull the code that made it flash and i would bet 1/2 of my next pay check that it is the turbo filter.

4 hours ago, bowdog said:

I didn't read the rest of the comments but please don't do anything stupid like add seafoam to that truck...mine did the exact same thing and it is very common and there is nothing wrong with the truck...You need to have the turbo filter replaced, it has moisture in it.

WTF are you taking about? Turbo filter? The only filters for the engine are the oil and air filters. 

52 minutes ago, r1crusher said:

WTF are you taking about? Turbo filter? The only filters for the engine are the oil and air filters. 

They're usually located inconveniently right behind and underneath the muffler bearings.  Damn design engineers!

Definitely a dealer-only service item.

• Upvote 1

FYI, for whoever correctly warned about using intake cleaning products in the Eco-Boost engines:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/12/induction-service-cleaners-can-damage-ford-ecoboost-engines.html

This is something I did not know.  Makes sense, tho.  I got a hunch that owners of the latest cutting edge DI engines--boosted or not--will be seeing problems like this as the mileage rolls up.  The additives in top-tier fuel for cleaning valve deposits work well on carbed and MPFI engines, but not so well on the DI motors.

Edited by Bubba

1 hour ago, r1crusher said:

Sorry i guess my terminology was wrong, they technically call it a "turbo Deflector" which pulls the moisture out before it gets into the turbo's.

4 hours ago, bowdog said:

No it isn't part of the service even though it should be! 100% difference, mine got to the point that every time i stomped the gas to go around someone it felt like the transmission was slipping and about to blow out from under the truck. As soon as filter was replaced you could stomp the gas and it would break the tires loose again.

did this improve your mpg also?  What was it before/after?

2 hours ago, M_Quick said:

So when do we split the check, lol.

LOL!  I'd like my 1/4 of that 1/2 please.

2 hours ago, bowdog said:

Sorry i guess my terminology was wrong, they technically call it a "turbo Deflector" which pulls the moisture out before it gets into the turbo's.

I would dearly love to see your service sheet from the dealer when you had this "turbo deflector" thing done.  I did a search for parts "deflector" and "turbo" on one of the largest Ford parts dealer sites and did not find anything like what you've described.  Now the only thing I can figure you're describing is for the inter-cooler.  '10-'12 F150's suffered from a moisture problem in the inter-cooler and the fix was to add some air deflector so the incoming air charge wouldn't condense moisture.  This issue was corrected starting with '13 models.

I personally don't think this has anything to do with Chrome's issue but I'm now curious as to what you've described.

Chrome...feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to talk to you one on one if you'd like.

Chrome, my mileage didn't really change i averaged about 16mpg the whole time i owned that truck.

I will pull my service records this afternoon and post the repair bill from Ricart.

11 minutes ago, bowdog said:

Chrome, my mileage didn't really change i averaged about 16mpg the whole time i owned that truck.

I will pull my service records this afternoon and post the repair bill from Ricart.

That's about what I average now. I took a trip when I first got it and got 26 but not anymore. 

Update. 

Took it in to the dealership today, no codes were thrown. Talked to the tech about the shimmy I'm feeling and he said he wouldn't worry about it and couldn't really feel it.  I told him to get in and go for a ride. Shimmied like an sob. I asked him if he could feel it now!?!?  He tried to balance the tires and rotate them. I told him that wouldn't do it but he still tried. Left there with the same shimmy I had going in. Seemed like the guy just didn't want to deal with it today. I'm taking it somewhere else for another evaluation. 

It needs the valves cleaned and or head replaced. 

I would dump a bottle of Techron in an almost empty tank then fill it up with some top tier 93 and run the piss out of it for a good 30 minutes, a good old Italian tune up. The Techron is the only thing approved for the ecoboosts

Edited by zx3vfr