Bike advice needed

cuzenjeff

I bought a cheap ole Huffy about 3 years ago to help with the arthritis in the knees and stay somewhat active.   I was not going to put a lot of money in a bike just to watch it rust in the garage if I was wasn’t going to ride it.  But now I have custody of my 7 year old grandchild and we do a lot of riding and I am using it to ride to the store in town and run errands and do some small pleasure rides, so after hundreds of miles on my 100 dollar Huffy it is time to buy something worth riding and would like to get a few opinions on a new bike.  I do like the mountain bike type tires cause I do ride in some slush from time to time in the winter.    I also need to have a more up right riding position as I cannot ride for long periods bent over like on a sport bike.   I also find that I do not use the 21 gears that I have now.   I would like to stay around 400 dollars if possible. Is there anything out there for that price range or should I just keep the cheap ole Huffy?

• Upvote 1

28 inch inseam,  5' 7",   need handle bars taller, 90% on the street with very little traffic. We do have some great bike paths within 4 mile s from Lewisburg. I like what I have just need a more up right riding postion 

rsz_imgp2735.jpg

I sure wasted a lot of time at work today doing some  research.  I did find out that our Company has a PERKS program and Diamond back are 40% off.  I can get a Insight 2 for 360 bucks or a Trace Sport for 390.

• Upvote 1

I've always wanted an easy rack. I have strapped frames to a backpack, and once bolted 2x  angle iron from the footpegs to the grabhandle in a big Y and strapped the frame to that. Strapped on a bike shipping box once back in carless days.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

40 x 40 x 800mm extruded aluminum strut. It's what we use at work to build our prototypes. I got this piece from the scrap bin. 

Lucky Dog:D

I went out all day checking out bikes at the bike shops, and here is what i got it narrowed down too.....

Trek 7.2

Cannondale Quick 6

Diamondback Insight 2

What do you think? 

5..5..2..2, that's a 10-4 in Kentucky.  I got to see some really neat shit today. A road bike I could pick with my finger and the guy who owns the shop has a Fat bike that he has about 5 grand in it.  I will get out and throw my 60 year old ass on them bikes and make a decision....THANKS

• Upvote 1

Who says you have to buy just one bike?

:rulez::nono:

Trek\CD have rim brakes easier to set up/cheaper/fix on the road(specially 7 speed)) vs DB disc better stopping, some models a pain to dial in, can ride with tweaked rim. 

Edited by motocat12
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Nice choice. I love mine. :)

Did a lot of research, rode a lot of bikes, spent the extra money and got what I wanted and got lucky, Specialized was having a spring sale....508.25 out the door.

• Upvote 1

I'm just getting my kid to agree to wear her bike helmet.  Hopefully we get some good rides in this summer with her in the Schwinn 2-kid trailer i bought for $50 on CL.   I have already gotten my money out of it by using it as a jogging stroller, and bringing home cases of beer from the corner store :p

I'm riding JB's older Trek MTB.  I should probably put hybrid tires on it...