State 8 mechanics?

Tonik

I used them for an oil change once on the VFR. My fat man hands could not access the filter above the headers and enraged me so I let them deal with it before I learned the shortcut

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

Anyone used them for bike work?  I have some warranty work that needs to be done, and my options are limited.  Roush Motorsports is not an option.

Go to All Seasons Sports Center in Wooster.  They have old timers and are very good.  This is the only place in NEO I would trust for proper work.

Tell Shawn Caylor that ZRX Brian sent you...he will treat you good.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Uncle Punk said:

Go see Mike at Kennedy's, he is easily the most qualified factory mechanic in the area. Don't go there on a Wednesday though he doesn't work that day. 

Yea, I work down the street from there. They are great. State 8 is just more convenient from home since I have to drop it.  Now I got to ride to Elyria, have the wife follow me.  Then same deal to pick it up.  Yea, Mike is a freaking wizard.  I am going to Kennedy's, dunno wtf I was thinking.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Uncle Punk said:

Where did you buy your bike?

Ohio Motorcycle, 3 days before they went right the fuck out of business. Was a lot of nail biting waiting for the title since I paid cash for it.  Kennedy sold the one I wanted a couple of weeks before I talked the wife into it.  Not their fault, they had no idea I wanted it. I had a great relationship with Brandon at Ohio and he had exactly what I wanted and gave me a killer deal.

2 hours ago, BMMW said:

Brandon was the only good thing about Ohio Motorcycle. Where is he now?

They actually had two really good techs that had been there a long time. Well I assume they were still there when they went out of business... I wrenched there for about 10 months, years ago.

Had a couple pretty decent, knowledgeable parts guys too, again at least when I was working there.

21 minutes ago, dustinsn3485 said:

They actually had two really good techs that had been there a long time. Well I assume they were still there when they went out of business... I wrenched there for about 10 months, years ago.

Had a couple pretty decent, knowledgeable parts guys too, again at least when I was working there.

I agree. The parts manager was very good, as was Steve in parts.  I loved the shop manager, he had his stuff together.  And the mechanical work I had done there was top notch.  I was very sad when they went away.

Edited by Tonik

2 hours ago, whaler said:

Forgot about Kennedy's

Never heard good or bad about service department, but I go there often for parts.

Jordan is a good guy. I go there a couple times a year to just visit with him and Greg, and the owner if hes there. I go there to buy tires and have them spoon them on because I like to support the local businesses. And they have been good to me.

They changed the sprockets and chain on my old cbr but thats not exactly a hard service.

Edited by TimTheAzn

I haven't seen Jordan since last fall and I have been there a few times. Now if I got it right Jordan married Ken's daughter. He certainly married the girl that works there...they got a cute little girl.

Edited by Tonik

1 hour ago, DerekClouser said:

I had state 8 do my very first motorcycle rear tire change.  I had no clue what I was doing and they charged me $350.00 to change one rear tire and had it for 17 days.  

If that helps... that was back in 2004 though. 

For $350 I hope you bought a $300 tire. For 17 days I hope they repainted your rear wheel as well.

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Not State8, but the dealer once quoted me $500 to change the fork seals and fluid in my Ohlins forks. I was bummed, but since I was going to be in Juarez for a couple weeks and wanted to ride when I got home, I said I'd pay the rate. At least I get to ride, right?

Then they told me they'd have it for two months, at least. I chucked, bought the tools online while out of town and then fixed it myself when I got home. Called Ohlins in NC, bought two liters of liquid gold and a seal kit ($120) and then the tools ($30) and now I know I can service them myself. 

Dealerships are out of control these days. I'd rather not ride than be taken by some scrub with a Craftsman tool box. 

Luckily I know a scrub with a toolbox that does good work for very reasonable rates :D

At some of the prices people have quoted on the thread I would learn to do it myself too. I'm usually lazy about doing "difficult" things on the bike myself but big prices for simple things changes the motivation.

• Upvote 1