YATT (Yet Another Tire Thread)

Casper

Batt lax 016, had the, both on vfr750 and 599. 7,500 miles out of the rear on the VFR and lots of hard riding with the 599 including a trip to Indy all slab of course and center didn't even look worn when we got back.

i think they're called bt-016 pro now and description is for 80s sport bikes, but I did in fact have the pros on the 599 and I could not push them or the bike to their limit, but they are dual compound and heres a link 

http://www.cyclegear.com/BRIDGESTONE-Battlax-BT016-Pro-Street-Motorcycle-Tires

Edited by zx3vfr
Fuck you and your mandatory reason for editing.

I had BT016s on the ZX10 for the trip out west. Great mileage, poor grip. 

I was a huge fan of the Dunlop Qualifiers but they're gone now. Looking at the Dunlop Q3 and Pirelli Angel, and looking for recommendations for other tires to consider. I'm more concerned with wet/dry/cold grip than mileage. 

You're talking about 84 HP vs 144 HP. I don't doubt they were great for the 599, but they were scary on the ZX10. Accelerating out of a turn too quickly led to slipping. That's not my favorite feeling in the world to say the least. The Daytona has 125 HP. I don't think they'd be great on it either. I currently have Diablo Super Corsa SP's on it, and they're terrifying in the wet/cold. Phenomenal in the hot/dry though. 

Angel GT's were great for the rear on my bike but I would always cup the front. Usually got 5 to 6k out of a set. Never a slip or any water issues with them.

Stones T30's running them now. Probably the best feeling tire I've ever ran and worn perfectly even and no cupping. But only got 3100 out of the rear. Front looks perfect after 4000 miles now. Felt good on water and I was confident as hell on them. Same ones I had at the gap last fall and you seen how hard I ran them. They are super cheap to buy too. I threw another rear on to get my milage out of my front for the next 3 or 4k miles.

Going to go with the PR4 next. Have heard nothing but good out of them just never wanted to shell out for them be cause they are probably the most expensive option. But I have been told they are worth it.

I know your little trumpet is not a road sofa like mine and you might have better luck with the others I mentioned.

2 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Angel GT's were great for the rear I'd my bike but I would always cup the front. Usually got 5 to 6k out of a set. Never a slip or any water issues with them.

Stones T30's running them now. Probably the best feeling tire I've ever ran and worn perfectly even and no cupping. But only got 3100 out of the rear. Front looks perfect after 4000 miles now. Felt good on water and I was confident as hell on them. Same ones I had at the gap last fall and you seen how hard I ran them. They are super cheap to buy too. I threw another rear on to get my milage out of my front for the next 3 or 4k miles.

Going to go with the PR4 next. Have hear nothing but good out of them just never wanted to shell out for them be cause they are probably the most expensive option. But I have been told they are worth it.

I know you little trumpet if not road sofa like mine and you might have better luck with the others I mentioned.

I'm in the same boat. I really wanna try PR4s but their in a different price bracket compared to the Pirelli's.

I use pilot power 3's & 2ct but I'm am s scared to switch to anything else  I feel safe with both these tires on the street  so I'd like to know what everybody else uses only get about 3500 till the white show i've almost wrecked because of tire slippage at 120mph after hitting a bridge after a curve had the death wobble

I use pilot power 3's & 2ct but I'm am s scared to switch to anything else  I feel safe with both these tires on the street  so I'd like to know what everybody else uses only get about 3500 till the white show i've almost wrecked because of tire slippage at 120mph after hitting a bridge after a curve had the death wobble

I'd say over half the tires on the market are dual or triple compound now a days. All the ones I mentioned are too.

• Upvote 1

PR4s hands down. My current set has 5k on them and prolly 5k left on the rear. They handle the FZ09 like a dream. You can take them cross country like I did and still tear up the curves. On my trip last summer I put 4500 miles on thru 100° temps in Oklahoma, blasted thru the mountains of Colorado and the Black Hills of South Dakota, chased storms thru Minnesota on I-90 at 80+ mph, froze my ass off in 36° temps in Wisconsin making my Red Eye ferry across Lake Michigan. Only once did I have a traction scare - on a dirt road in New Mexico after a rain checking out an old abandoned church. All of that was fully loaded and 2 up. Absolutely amazing tires.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Casper said:
The price sucks, but the PR4s look to be the winners so far from what I've been reading and mango's review. Now to find a deal on them. 

https://www.jakewilson.com/ always seems to have the best prices on tires, free shipping, no tax and fast delivery too.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 2

I'm content with my Shinko 011, Only considering something with dual compound (or crazy deal) over it next. I had Q2 slide out on an SV650 in warm temp and won't go back due to all the cuts it got in the tread.

This is tempting me http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/46489/i/avon-3d-ultra-sport-av80-rear-tire

13 minutes ago, whaler said:

PR4 are not any better than T30 or Angles, but if you pay a bunch more maybe they will be better in your mind.

my vote is T30 as best value hands down.

The T30 doesn't have as great reviews in the wet, and is discontinued. Even on closeout, they're only $50 cheaper per set than the PR4. 

The Angels are on my list, but also not much cheaper than the PR4. 

Anyone have any experience with the Angels?

I have been using PR4s for the last couple of years. They are great tires in all conditions. I have been ordering them from www.jakewilson.com.  They tend to have the lowest prices, and you will receive them in the CBus area the next day after ordering them.

The T30 doesn't have as great reviews in the wet, and is discontinued. Even on closeout, they're only $50 cheaper per set than the PR4. 

The Angels are on my list, but also not much cheaper than the PR4. 

Anyone have any experience with the Angels?

I have nothing bad to say about the T30 handleing, even in the wet. Rode2 days in the wet on twisty roads on the way to the gap last year. Only reason they are dicontinued is because they came out with the T30 EVO that are supossed to be better in the wet even though I had no problems with the originals. Far as I know they only changed the tread pattern not the compound.

Having burned through 10-12 sets of ST tires at a sporting pace...I would say the Angel GT and PR4 are the best choices for longevity and grip.   I would give the edge to the GT in the dry and the PR4 in the wet.   You should be happy with either.