Gear Brake Smart Brake Light Module

Casper

I was thinking of building one and I was just reading that only a small percentage of fatalities involve rear collision compared to crashing into something head on. The inertial system sounds interesting. Until now I've only heard of inertial systems that decide whether to flash the light or not during braking. Considering that my throttle doesn't always close smooth (known issue), this device might be good to have. And the forks are so soft (by design), one time I needed to brake hard while trying to flash the brake light; made the front end feel like a boat on the waves. 

55 minutes ago, hiro said:

I was thinking of building one and I was just reading that only a small percentage of fatalities involve rear collision compared to crashing into something head on.

Both of those are small percentages compared to rider at fault crashing all by yourself. I think that is in the 80 percent range.

• Upvote 1

I was looking at this item and thinking I could do some projects on the bike like the brake light. It might be cool to see if I could get it to show lean angle and acceleration/stopping force. (We all know how much kick a 300 has? heh) But for a brake light, a small, water-proof completed device would be best. Arduino 101 with Intel Curie  "...features a six-axis accelerometer and gyroscope..." and Bluetooth. (Only $20 on sale right now, if you're into tinkering.)

16 hours ago, hiro said:

I was thinking of building one and I was just reading that only a small percentage of fatalities involve rear collision compared to crashing into something head on. The inertial system sounds interesting. Until now I've only heard of inertial systems that decide whether to flash the light or not during braking. Considering that my throttle doesn't always close smooth (known issue), this device might be good to have. And the forks are so soft (by design), one time I needed to brake hard while trying to flash the brake light; made the front end feel like a boat on the waves. 

I could be wrong, but I always thought (remember reading somewhere) that rear end crashes are the second most deadly type of motorcycle crash (statistically) involving another vehicle. First is oncoming traffic failing to yield when turning left.