Givi tank lock bag system

cmh_sprint

Looking for insight from anyone who has used the Givi tank lock system. Thinking about pulling the trigger on a tank bag. I have a plastic tank and not a big fan of strapping a bag to the tank so I have limited choices. Thanks in advance. 

I run a Cortech Dryver lock ring tank bag. I've had it on my old BMW and now my FJR. It has plenty of room (Hat, Keys, Wallet, 2 Bottles of water, pair of gloves, advil, etc). I don't have a very good pic of the bag, but it doesn't touch the paint. Only gripe is after 4/5 years, it is starting to show some fading. Mine is size small.

http://www.cortech.net/inc/sdetail/dryver_tank_bag/175/568

20160424_133701_zpss6q8oryq.jpg

I have a Givi tank bag with ring lock for my VStrom and it's great.  Picked it up used from a guy in Lima who sold his strom.  Bag has lots of room, two side pockets and a rain cover.  Ring lock system is easy on and off, and seems very secure.   I'm not sure of the model number.  I give it 2 thumbs up.  

• Upvote 1

I have no insight on a tank bag. For me personally I purchased a set of Motocentric sport saddle bags last year when I went to the dragon. They worked very well. The waterproof covers did not hold up to freeway speeds, but I did not rely on them anyways. I put everything in plastic bags before slipping it into the saddlebags. I lay on my tank on the highway and I think a tank bag would interfere with that. Between the saddles and the backpack I strap on the rear of my bike I had enough storage for my 5 day trip.gallery_18062_1616_101499.jpg

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

In my sick twisted way it is amusing to watch you ex-trailer queens scramble before the gap trip.

:eatdrink:

No scrambling here. I have the factory hard bags and a tail bag already. Just looking for convenience. You just worry about not spilling your 64oz Big Gulp hanging off your bars while you ride that road couch. 

:)

• Upvote 3

No scrambling here. I have the factory hard bags and a tail bag already. Just looking for convenience. You just worry about not spilling your 64oz Big Gulp hanging off your bars while you ride that road couch. 

:)

Get a couple bendy straws and he can share it going down the road.

I have 2 Givi tank bags that use the tank lock ring. Best tank bags I've ever bought and I've had several magnetic ones in the past.  I used to always worry about sand and grit getting between the magnet style bags and the paint but not anymore. Also, I always managed to put the magnetic ones on crooked, especially if sticking it on while seated on the bike. This bothered me because I'm anal about things in general.

I got 2 because I wanted a small one for things like sunglasses, etc when my luggage needs were meager and a larger one for trips when I need to carry a lot of stuff. They pop on and off very simply but are secure once on. There are only really two down sides - depending on your bike.

1) There's the somewhat unsightly ring on the tank when not using one of the bags if you have a bling bike.

2) If you have a GPS or phone mounted on your bars, it can hit the bag depending on the bike, bag size and mounting location. This can be an issue with magnetic or strap bags too but at least those you can change the position on the tank a bit to accommodate the needed clearance. With these, it's always in a consistent spot.

Edited by ScubaCinci
  • Upvote 2