Wojo72

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

No being able to dial them in better or change the % from front to rear. Plus a lot of guys and myself like to trail brake into a corner and if you try that with linked it will make the bike nose dive and upset your line.  

The linked brakes on the FJR are not even noticeable. I drag the rear a good bit, never feel a nose dive.

8 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

The linked brakes on the FJR are not even noticeable. I drag the rear a good bit, never feel a nose dive.

Same here, but in Tim's defense...I now recall many peeps on the Connies bitching about that.  Their link is different than mine even though they are both Kaw's. I trail brake a lot and there is no real dive.

1 minute ago, 2talltim said:

Sounds like the problem is probably bike specific. Maybe my next set of wheels I'll give linked brakes a second look.

I also think there were adjustments to the Connie system in newer models based on the bitching.

3 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

Then why bother with the added weight, cost and complexity. Have you ever bled them?

5th gen VFR were linked front to back 1/3 pots and back to front 1/6 pots

19 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

Then why bother with the added weight, cost and complexity. Have you ever bled them?

5th gen VFR were linked front to back 1/3 pots and back to front 1/6 pots

Bother for the purpose of stopping better, it is not noticeable from a nose dive perspective. 

ABS is preferable. That being said; If you have a non-abs bike, as I don't there are certain things you can do to improve your braking proficiency. I'll go on a solo ride about once a month or so where I practice "hard braking". I"ll get going a certain elevated speed then stop as fast as I can. Rinse & repeat 4 or 5 times. This usually amounts to the back wheel coming off the ground an inch or two & me hearing a certain howl from the front tire, indicating it is about to (but hasn't) locked up. If it starts to lock up I just ease up a little. This exercise has taught me to have a feel for the brakes. A little rear keeps the front from diving. These practice sessions (& Mid Ohio) has definitely helped me out in a few emergency situations. It's amazing how little you have to use your brakes on the street (until there's an emergency situation). That's where practice comes in. Unless of course you have ABS. Then you can just grab a handful, so I am told.

Edited by jschaf

And if your tires are shit, abs isn't going to help you. 

When end I bought my TB it came with some no name Chinese tires, first snow I came off an entrance ramp at 15 - 20 mph and abs kicked on and I just kept sliding and sliding and sliding across 4 lanes of traffic into a parking lot and managed to not hit anything. I went straight to the tire shop and bought some snow tires, and in the spring bought some real tires