School me on Washers and Dryers

bowdog

About to buy a new washer and dryer but would like to hear some personal views if you have any about certain brands or models. Currently considering the Front load LG's, Samsung's and Whirlpools. I have heard some bad story's about front loaders smelling over time but have also heard they fixed that issue? would like to stay under $1,600 for the set but can go more if another brand i didn't mention is that much better. Thoughts??

I'd stay away from front loaders, too may horror stories and seen freinds and family go through them like they are disposable. Usually with front loaders I've heard, cost twice as much and last half as long.

When we bought ours last year I did a shit load of research and found the LG top load high efficiency models were the best by reviews, warranty and options, but they were also the highest priced. We went with the Whirlpool Cabrio high efficiency tip loader, it had great reviews and got a bargin on them with sale prices and rebates at the time. Since we have had the set my electric bill has gone down substantially, due to the less water (on a well) water heater and the dryer being a sensor dryer. Going on about 10 months now and not a single issue it with them. And I swear our cloths come out cleaner now. I bought the second best model of the series just because we didn't want thr steam dryer option I think ours is the 7000 series of the Cabrio. After sale price and a couple rebates I think ours were about $1050 out the door.

Stay away from any of the "HE" top or front loads.  They are shit only last 4-7 years and are very costly to repair.

Go to a proper appliance dealer that carries Speed Queen commercial products and you can buy a washer and dryer with 25 year and life time warranty for under your budget.  The washer is around $700-$750 and the dryer is less.

Spent crazy money on LG appliances that had "10 year warranty" it covers shit and both were broke in less than 5 years.

Went Speed Queen and could not be happier!

As a bonus your clothes will actually be clean in 20 minutes rather than still dirty 2 hours later.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Also will add my dad has a Cabrio HE top load and it's going on 8 year now, with zero problems.

I am sure with 2 people and running it once or twice a week you will get better mileage.

We are a family of 5 with 3 kids between 10 and 14 and the washer runs everyday with at least 2 loads.  Even LG admitted they figured their warranty at 1 load a week over the 10 year period.

Our LG front loaders are about 6 years old. Had to replace the front seal because of the smell thing, I did that myself. If you leave the door open when you are done you won't have a problem. We learned that the hard way. Wasn't a big deal, like 50 bucks at Amazon and an hour's work.  Other than that they have been great. Love the extra capacity and the very low water usage.

4 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Our LG front loaders are about 6 years old. Had to replace the front seal because of the smell thing, I did that myself. If you leave the door open when you are done you won't have a problem. We learned that the hard way. Wasn't a big deal, like 50 bucks at Amazon and an hour's work.  Other than that they have been great. Love the extra capacity and the very low water usage.

Pretty much the same here. Front load LG HE. About six years old. Work great. Rubber seal on washer got moldy/smelly. Took it off, bleached it, was fine for another year or two. Need to do it again. There's a special tool for removing the ring that holds the seal in place. I did it the first time without the tool (mega pain in the ass). Will definitely buy the tool for next time. It's like $15. 

We have a LG top load washer and matching LG dryer.  They have worked flawlessly for 3 years and are very efficient.  Hopefully we get the mileage for the money we spent on them.

My neighbor has a Whirlpool front loader. Worked on it for them. It's junk. Looks nice like a Chrysler but breaks down a lot.

Edited by Gump
  • Upvote 1

We had a Whirlpool Elite Top Load HE we actually sold after 2 months for a 250.00 loss.  It sucked that bad.  We now are back to HE Front loaders and love them.  Had OLD whirlpool ones at the old house and now running Samsung which is what my parents have and we love them.  Wait for a few more weeks, memorial day is coming bro.  My parents got the SAME exact setup we got, Samsung HE front and HE dryer from H.D. for 1,000.  We paid 1,200 not on sale.  Not a huge savings, but still.

Sales ads will probably be out this coming week for it I would think or shortly after.   I bleached our old front seal at the old house twice in 1.5 years and never even took it off the washer to do it.  was fine. 

14 minutes ago, madcat6183 said:

I bleached our old front seal at the old house twice in 1.5 years and never even took it off the washer to do it.  was fine. 

Take it off. I promise. It's nasty underneath it. Takes like 30 minutes total. Very easy to do, and lots of YouTube videos showing you exactly how. Definitely worth it. 

• Upvote 1

STAY AWAY FROM SAMSUNG FRONT LOAD'S. The top loads aren't bad but the front loads are just plagued with quality issues.

I personally have top load LG washer and front load dryer that are 4 years old now and still run like new

53 minutes ago, Casper said:

Take it off. I promise. It's nasty underneath it. Takes like 30 minutes total. Very easy to do, and lots of YouTube videos showing you exactly how. Definitely worth it. 

Oh we don't own that anymore.  Left it with the old house lol.

23 minutes ago, Bad324 said:

STAY AWAY FROM SAMSUNG FRONT LOAD'S. The top loads aren't bad but the front loads are just plagued with quality issues.

I personally have top load LG washer and front load dryer that are 4 years old now and still run like new

Would definitely disagree here.  Would say that's any maker out there, reviews are all over the place on all of them.  Our samsungs and my parents run flawless.

Just now, madcat6183 said:

Would definitely disagree here.  Would say that's any maker out there, reviews are all over the place on all of them.  Our samsungs and my parents run flawless.

you're definitely lucky. Samsung Laundry is one of our clients and they bitch all the time they can't move their front loaders because of the reputation of quality issues. A lot of the Mom & Pop appliance places won't even carry most of the Samsung front loads because of this because it's too much hassle for them

my samsung set is going on 5 years, so far so good.  appliances are overall garbage now though.  just bite the bullet and pucker up buttercup cause it's totally a russian (chinese) roulette nowadays when it comes to home appliances.  i have a pretty nice (and expensive) jenn air fridge and range/oven that came with our house that was we moved into 5 years ago (appliances are like 10 years old now) that have been having issues.  at my old house that I rent, the appliances there are WAY older, shittier and probably less than 1/4 what these cost and they still work the way they're supposed to.  knock on wood.

• Upvote 2

HE Front loaders clean well, use little water and almost never have a problem with an unbalanced load.

However the design requires the main bearing be located in the back with a high load. And spin up requires careful control to balance the load using variable speeds. 

This means they are more expensive and can be more prone to failure.

HE top loads are cheaper and usually more reliable but are easy to overload and if you are not careful it is easy to get an unbalanced load that will not spin dry. 

Our last Kenmore (Whirlpool) front load lasted 10 years with no problems (2 adults 1 child), we left it with the house and got a new one when we moved. The gas dryer did have a sensor that needed replaced. 

Leave the door ajar when not in use to ensure the interior dries quickly.

Not sure why all the units have 50 different modes. We only use a couple different settings and can't see why we would need more. Ofcourse the modes are features they can sell in the store and are usually just cost the manufacturer software and a button. :)

Good information here, I will be in the market probably next year. I have older ones that still work decent  but are not so "efficient".  Another question, I have hookups for both gas and electric for the dryer, which makes the most sense? Currently have an electric dryer.

Edited by RidersDiscount

Warning! Do not buy a Samsung top loading HE (no agitator column) washing machine if you get your clothes dirty. The direct drive sounded good & the bells & whistles were enticing, but they definitely don't get your clothes clean. I wore dirty clothes for a year then we kicked the set to the curb (didn't have the heart to rip somebody off by selling it to them) & got a regular GE set. The washer has an agitator & my clothes are clean again. $1600 lesson learned.

2 hours ago, RidersDiscount said:

Another question, I have hookups for both gas and electric for the dryer, which makes the most sense? Currently have an electric dryer.

Gas, by far.

• Upvote 2

Good information here for me too.

Our current washer is a 20 year old Kenmore series 80. It still works, mostly, but the timer circuit stops right at the 2 minute mark for the final rinse.

TO make it work, you have to push in the knob, spin it one complete revolution, and then go just a milimeter past the 2 minute mark. An internet search indicates it is most likely the timer assembly it self, and costs about $125.

So, the cheap guy in me want to just fix this unit, but big picture, if the new washing machines are that much better / effient / cost effect, might be worth upgrading to something made in the 2000's not the 1990's.

FWIW, to give you an idea how much laundry we do, we have twin 11 month olds and a 2.75 year old.  We never have a night we aren't doing at least 1 load, usually 2.  This is also well water and one of the main reasons we went Samsung Front load HE was the filter is right up front so easy to clean. 

Our dryer is a Whirlpool and honestly, it's super high tech and I am not impressed.  We run the normal cycle as long as we can and it uses the "sensor" and the clothes always require at least 15 more minutes than the thing goes for.  Annoying but we just accepted it.  However our old dryer which I think was a Whirlpool was dope and things were dry in like 10 minutes lol.