Nephew Considering a Motorcycle

RCBS

Proud of the goofy bastard...came to his Uncle for some advice.

He has been bit by the 2-wheeler bug.  He is mainly wanting it to commute to his work (50 miles of slab) to save on fuel during the warm months.  He started asking about CBRs and the like.  I stopped him and proceeded to ask him questions about the usage.  He does want to do some riding for fun as well as save money on fuel for commuting.  He has perused a few bikes at a couple dealers.  He had supersports in mind initially, which I consider a bad choice for what he wants to do.  A couple of his friends suggested that he go ahead and get a thou because, you know we all get so bored of not going mach retard.  I vehemently rebuked their assessment immediately.  This will be his first road bike and really, his first two wheel experience.  I went on to explain that my "little" 675 engine has more than enough power & speed to scare the crap out of myself at any time and that even a moped will kill you if you are an idiot.  He's now 23 (shit I'm old) and starting to grow up.  Just had his first little one last year.  I am concerned for him on a motorcycle because he is basically a squid on his 4wheeler for the most part.  I explained why I ride to him and reminded him that if he's looking to get a bike to impress people or show off, it will likely end badly.  I am not of the crowd that says you *must start out on a 250 or 300, but understand that as a good idea.  He's not really having any of that because machismo or whatever.  He likely doesn't understand the correlation of speed to engine size on a modern motorcycle.  I advised that there are very few men walking the earth who can harness and utilize the full potential of the bikes being built these days.  Also brought up insurance, which he hadn't considered and the huge differences in premiums based on the type and size being insured.  At this point, I had his full attention and could see the gears grinding away in his head.  As we were talking, he eventually mentions the Honda NC700 which I give my blessing based upon what he needs out of the bike.  I know it's still a fairly "big" starter bike, but much more sane than some of his other considerations.  I planted seeds for an SV, Versys, and FZs in his head and told him to do some research.  Told him that winter is the time to get a deal and that I would happily chaperone him his first few times out.  Advised that the BRC is a great thing for new riders having completed it myself and getting the endorsement is easy peasy if you complete the course. Also added a quick few words about buying a quality helmet and some good gear.  

I was surprised and delighted he came to me for help.  Better still, I think a lot of what I told him actually made it to his gray matter.

No big plot twists or anything, just a proud uncle happy to try and help a new rider find his way.

I know, I know, Cool Starry Bra and all but I had to share.

• Upvote 2

I highly recommend BRC.  My experience was awesome.  Class time was meh, but the riding portion was a lot of fun IMO.  We had a great time.  Learned me a few things too.

His wife & mother are trying to dissuade him because motorcycles are dangerous and scary.  I hope he follows through and does so responsibly.  Riding has brought great joy to me in my few years that I have been at it.  If you'd asked me at 20 if I'd ever own a street bike I'd have given you some crap about not needing to go that fast or something about wanting to live to see 30.  As I grow older, my outlooks and opinions have changed.  I will admit that Me on a "crotch rocket" at 20 would've ended badly.  Like all things, motorcycles are only as dangerous as the meathead riding them chooses for them to be.

A quick story you're welcome to pass along about the liter bike as a first bike...I worked at a dealership for a short time years ago, had the task of prepping a brand new gsxr for a kid, 18-19 (I was only 23). Got to meet him, he had a ton of questions. He had talked his dad into getting him the 1000 as his first bike. I spent the time I could talking safety and the danger of that as a first bike...he left. Found out a few weeks later he was out trying to show off, wheelies, came all the way over fell off and killed himself.

Like you said a 600 is a lot of power. The SV, EX650 ninjas, etc. Are a great choice for a first time rider. 

• Upvote 1

Of course I will always recommend the BRC and 250-300 class bikes for beginners.  If he is going for more sport than cruiser my votes are the Ninja 650, SV650S, and the Yamaha FZ6.  These will all be great commuters and capable for any twisties you throw at them.  There are a lot of them out there and the insurance for these bikes won't break the wallet either.  I wish him luck with his quest for two wheels, it's good he has an experienced rider to help keep him grounded, because we all know when you have the bug, it can make you do some crazy things, like buy too much bike or get stuck with a bike that ends up needing a shit ton of work!

• Upvote 1

The NC700X is a perfect first/commuter bike because the impressive fuel mileage, long maintenance intervals, it's solid steel, it has storage, torque from just above idle, suspension fit for jumping curbs and in town shortcuts, light clutch pull, low center of gravity, perfect street gear ratios, and it can be had for about the same price as an fz-07.

10 minutes ago, alienpi said:

The NC700X is a perfect first/commuter bike because the impressive fuel mileage, long maintenance intervals, it's solid steel, it has storage, torque from just above idle, suspension fit for jumping curbs and in town shortcuts, light clutch pull, low center of gravity, perfect street gear ratios, and it can be had for about the same price as an fz-07.

FZ07 isn't a bad starter bike either.  Unless you are a fatass like me.

Good on him for asking advice, and good on you for guiding him correctly.  If he has the fundamental skills to ride, I'm agreed on 650-700 twins.  Brand new and no clue riders...I always advise the baby parallels 250-300.

For fair insurance, fuel mileage, tires, and maintenance costs - hard to beat a used SV650/ninja650 for first timers like your nephew.  Good luck to him

• Upvote 1

Thanks all for the replies and wisdom.  Ran out of REP to give...what up with that?   I'm pretty excited for him to get one, but he's fighting an uphill battle with his wife & mother who just tell him he'll end up dead.  Not sure if he was known on here or not, but Rob Miracle was killed recently and was well known and liked in these parts.  That has everyone being apprehensive about motorcycling.  A truck came over the center line while texting and hit him head on.  I will try to talk to both of them for him.  I will admit I'm probably more conservative than he is, but that came with age.  I remember 23...wow.  Nephew hasn't really indicated one way or other whether he wants to pick up a nice used or new motorbike.  The NC700 he looked at was new.  I think the supersports he was considering were used.

I have gathered that the SV650s are a great all arounder and that they make a good bike for a beginner.  That's why I told him to look into them.  Seems to be an endless amount of modding on them as well, which is up his alley as he does like to spin some wrenches.  He is partial to Honda though as his dirt machines have always been Red.  I'd love to see him get the NC700.  I think they are neat bikes and would be awesome for his commuting as mentioned above, not to mention trouble free being a Honda.  I have also always liked the FZ offerings from Yammy.

I just still need to reinforce to him that motorcycling is not 100% about pure speed & power.   That stuff is fun, don't get me wrong...but there's so much more to it than that.  I ride 100% for the pure joy of just riding and I'd like to instill that in him as well...to appreciate riding...for the ride. 

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

Hopefully he listens to you. I did the liter bike thing as my first bike and looking back it was stupid.

I don't know if he will or not.  I'm trying though.  You can take a horse to water....

Hi friend's  "advice" is going to be the hardest thing to counter. But back then I listened to friends more often than my parents. Hopefully its a good sign he reached out to you first.

Edit: I think by then I was on the cusp of admitting my parents were right, so hopefully there's a chance.

Edited by TimTheAzn

9 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

I had friend's with "advice" like that too. But then I realized their idea of a ride is 30 mile round trip for ice cream. I put more miles on my bike in a weekend than they have all summer.

I have friends like that also lol. 900 miles for the season? Oh really.... LOL

56 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Hi friend's  "advice" is going to be the hardest thing to counter. But back then I listened to friends more often than my parents. Hopefully its a good sign he reached out to you first.

Edit: I think by then I was on the cusp of admitting my parents were right, so hopefully there's a chance.

Quote from the movie Friday comes to mind:  "...but peer pressure is a motherfucker..."

That's why I stopped him mid sentence when he was saying "my buddy said I should just get a liter.."  -Stop.  I'm pretty sure he cant afford the insurance on them, so I'm not too worried.

2 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

I had friend's with "advice" like that too. But then I realized their idea of a ride is 30 mile round trip for ice cream. I put more miles on my bike in a weekend than they have all summer.

I don't log a ton of miles, but I try to make sure they are all awesome miles.  I'm lucky that I don't need to go far to find roads to facilitate.  My longest day was around 270 miles, all Southeastern Ohio goodness.  That was enough for me.  

16 minutes ago, RCBS said:

Quote from the movie Friday comes to mind:  "...but peer pressure is a motherfucker..."

That's why I stopped him mid sentence when he was saying "my buddy said I should just get a liter.."  -Stop.  I'm pretty sure he cant afford the insurance on them, so I'm not too worried.

I don't log a ton of miles, but I try to make sure they are all awesome miles.  I'm lucky that I don't need to go far to find roads to facilitate.  My longest day was around 270 miles, all Southeastern Ohio goodness.  That was enough for me.  

Hard to beat SEO, I am the same way. I am 10 minutes from amazing roads from home or work.

I'm late but I concur strongly on the SV650 recommendation. Bike can be had cheaply, parts are cheap and in abundance and if you put an aftermarket can on it the sound stacks up against anything on the road. I bought one for my first bike. Just enough poser to scare beginning riders into respecting the machine but also gives them a hefty margin of error with the powerband. Wish I never sold mine.

Just now, JustinNck1 said:

Yeah, the best part of 555, the southern end.

Meh...if we could get some more asphalt up here...chip n seal...on a state route...for shame.    

I've ridden the entirety several times.  There's a really nice park down there on 7 that I always stop at for a break before heading back north.

31 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Hate you both. Gotta ride a minimum an hour to find anything remotely interesting.

Justin is positioned better than I am.  I have to go south, but I'm into it after 10 minutes.  He's surrounded by good riding down there.

21 minutes ago, Tonyblaze said:

I'm late but I concur strongly on the SV650 recommendation. Bike can be had cheaply, parts are cheap and in abundance and if you put an aftermarket can on it the sound stacks up against anything on the road. I bought one for my first bike. Just enough poser to scare beginning riders into respecting the machine but also gives them a hefty margin of error with the powerband. Wish I never sold mine.

Though I only can go by what I read, the SV650 may be one of the best motorcycles ever.  Never seen anyone bitching about them for any reason, always praise, been around and still around.  I grew up on Suzukis.

On September 6, 2016 at 4:12 PM, drc32-0 said:

The first thing that goes through my mind when someone wants to get a bike to save money on gas is that a lot of those savings go towards tires.

And the bike itself. 

I drive a lot. Like twice as much as the average driver. Since March, 2015, I have spent less than $2500 on gas for the Corolla. That's 35,000 miles worth of driving for less than $2500...

initial cost of the bike will almost certainly kill any fuel savings unless gas goes back to $4/gallon, and he rides a TON. 

• Upvote 1