Your Thoughts On Simco Wildlife Area for Hunting?

just_some_dude

Not looking for all your secrets, but more curious to know how deer handle a location like this versus other areas. I have never been to the location, just trying to read through topo and imagery maps. Seems like there are a lot of drop offs and cliffs from the images.

Anyone ever been in the terrain there? Want to know what I am getting into...

I'm still trying to figure out where I can park :)

Well, I'll give my own update since I went yesterday. I was in the south east region of the area. It does have straight cliffs that you will have to go around depending on where you want to hunt. I didn't hear a see or hear a peer from a deer. People were shooting around the area, but I saw nothing. There are a lot of thorns walking in from this direction, so make sure you are protected all over! You basically are walking through thorns from head to toe from the street. I parked on 141, be careful where you park unless you have a 4/4. I recommend putting some pieces of wood under your tires before you park, so it is easier to get out. I got stuck and had to have someone help push me out. I was out there for 10 hours and didn't get any ticks on me, but a couple other guys stated they had ticks all over them.

It is a nice area, some hunters walked through the area I was sitting, I don't care, but just made myself visible to them, so we weren't shooting at each other :).

As I was walking out a couple of the guys said the area isn't as good as it used to be and stated a lot of does had been killed off in previous years.

I'd probably go back because the area is nice, but no luck on this trip.

Went there again yesterday. Went in from the South West side this time. Still a lot of thorns. Your clothes are going to be ripped by the time you get out. A lot of little streams throughout. Small enough to jump over, but be careful because in some places the ground sinks and you may get wet ;). Be prepared to walk up and down a lot if you don't have a GPS Topo map. I put some pieces of wood under my vehicle this time to make sure I didn't get stuck in the mud at the side of the road.

No luck yesterday as well. I saw a muskrat and a few birds. Only sounds I heard where other hunters walking in. It seemed as though there were hunters everywhere. Everyone is rattling their antlers. it is a small space and I didn't see a lot of deer activity in terms of footprints in the mud or rubs, etc. in the location I went in.

I didn't really do any scouting other than using maps. I would not hesitate to say that is part of my problem. I didn't hear a lot of gun shots on the last day of gun hunting compared to the second day :).

I do like the area, a lot of random things to see if you ever wanted to go for a nice hike. Just be prepared for thorns!

Edited by just_some_dude