Ohio red light law change

Strictly Street

No details I've heard yet, but there's a light I've been doing this at anyway.  If I'm lucky there's a car in front of me.

The really interesting things will be the cop's interpretation of the law, and how many new riders get themselves creamed.  The latter will bring up questions in court as to who's responsible, and maybe force local governments to set a time requirement.

Your government; in trying to make you safe will generate more $$$ for the legal system.

There has really only been maybe a handful of times in my 10+ years of riding where I legit got caught at a light that wouldn't change with me sitting there on my bike. Just had to be a little more patient.

The alternative is to make a right, then make a U-turn and make another right to continue going straight. Or make a right and pull into a parking lot by making a left and then making a right out of that lot to turn right at the intersection I was trying to go through.

Ive been practicing this for many years and was actually pulled over twice for it. Both times I explained to the officer that I know that light won't change for me and they understood and let me go. But I bet I run red lights like this probably a couple times a week on average when I'm on the bike. Of course I'm checking for traffic a half dozen times and proceed with extreme caution when I do. Most cops are already cool with this kind of thing as long as your carful and not being a douch about it.

• Upvote 1

It's all well and good if it's true until you get stopped in the backwoods or hoytitoyti neighbor hood with Barney fife or macho cop out to protect the rich housewives of Gates Mills and either have to go to court to prove your innocence. 

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I don't ride to places with rich housewives and running red lights is the least of my traffic violations in the backwoods. If I get pulled over and they want to write me a ticket for running on red...I'll take that ticket every time. Chances are I was just doing thirty over for the last 20 miles before I got into town. 

Also, I have been running these lights since I've been riding. If it doesn't trip after a while, it's now a four-way stop to me. I'm not twelve. I can handle the intersection. 

Do you even read?

8 minutes ago, jschaf said:

I don't run red lights when police are present. Never had a problem with these lights that don't change.

Cleveland must have a roads department that believes motorcyclists aren't just an urban legend. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, magley64 said:

A decent magnet should do the trick... The loops under the pavement detect a change in magnetic field.

http://www.ironpony.com/ipd/pi.asp/ImageName/greenlighttriggerhp.jpg/Brand/Green-Light/c2/General-Bike-Accessories/c3/Green-Light-Trigger/c1/Street-Products/KitKey2/Green-Light-Trigger-Hp

Lights around here detect you, they just don't care. There was an "upgrade" contract to replace them all with the auto countdown pedestrian lights(even places with no sidewalks) so all day and night, only one there you have to wait 30 seconds for every light to switch.

I miss the old flashing yellow after 10pm way.

I took the magnets out of a couple of computers that work tossed.  Got one zip-tied to the bottom of each of my bikes' frame.  Don't think the trick works at every light, but I've noticed I spend considerably less time baking my balls at red lights.

9 minutes ago, Wandering Soul said:

I took the magnets out of a couple of computers that work tossed.  Got one zip-tied to the bottom of each of my bikes' frame.  Don't think the trick works at every light, but I've noticed I spend considerably less time baking my balls at red lights.

It's possible that magnet isnt quite strong enough.