Almost a bad day...

ScubaCinci

Today was the first day I had time to take the new bike down to NKY and hit some of the twisty roads. Up until now it's been interstate and some residential streets - nothing really technical.

Got to the very first hairpin turn on 915 off of AA, was maybe doing ~40mph in third gear and leaned her over trying to gauge how far before the pegs start dragging and :waaa: - the rear wheel started to slide out from under me. So I basically did a power slide around the curve and managed to pull out of it somewhat gracefully, save for a little hitch were I got traction again and the bike was still slightly angled sideways, pitching me a little like it would on a high side. :pope:

I took it relatively easy the rest of the 150 mi ride. I think it was caused by a few factors 1- new tires (<300 miles and no wear on the edges yet) and 2- it was around 42F outside :shiver: so though I had ridden the interstate to get there, the tires probably weren't very warm.

Also, I was in Dynamic mode (nanny systems are at a minimum) which I'm not sure if contributed to the slip and helped me pull it out as it realized the wheel was slipping or didn't really play a factor. I wasn't accelerating through the curve, just steady on the throttle so it's not like I broke the rear wheel loose with too much power. Regardless, I rode in "road" mode (nanny systems are in normal mode) the remainder of the ride since it was still cold and the tires are still breaking in. I might have to get the sandpaper out.

2 hours ago, ScubaCinci said:

Today was the first day I had time to take the new bike down to NKY and hit some of the twisty roads. Up until now it's been interstate and some residential streets - nothing really technical.

Got to the very first hairpin turn on 915 off of AA, was maybe doing ~40mph in third gear and leaned her over trying to gauge how far before the pegs start dragging and :waaa: - the rear wheel started to slide out from under me. So I basically did a power slide around the curve and managed to pull out of it somewhat gracefully, save for a little hitch were I got traction again and the bike was still slightly angled sideways, pitching me a little like it would on a high side. :pope:

I took it relatively easy the rest of the 150 mi ride. I think it was caused by a few factors 1- new tires (<300 miles and no wear on the edges yet) and 2- it was around 42F outside :shiver: so though I had ridden the interstate to get there, the tires probably weren't very warm.

Also, I was in Dynamic mode (nanny systems are at a minimum) which I'm not sure if contributed to the slip and helped me pull it out as it realized the wheel was slipping or didn't really play a factor. I wasn't accelerating through the curve, just steady on the throttle so it's not like I broke the rear wheel loose with too much power. Regardless, I rode in "road" mode (nanny systems are in normal mode) the remainder of the ride since it was still cold and the tires are still breaking in. I might have to get the sandpaper out.

Does your bike have abs pro?  Kinda wish i would've waited a year to have that on the GSA.

Glad ur safe Joe, there was another forum member few years ago dropped brand new gixxer 1000 on fresh tires and cold morning ramp :( 

on on a side note: ur getting ton of evil eye since your posting succulent pics of that sweet ride. To ward it off you need a good luck charm :)

• Upvote 1

Nope...I was even throttle and was barely midway into the curve what it happened (i.e. didn't occur on the exit). I really think the cold had a lot to do with it...not only were the tires somewhat cold (had been on the interstate but stopped 10 mins for gas) but I'm sure the road was very cold as well...it had gotten down to near freezing that night.

I also read an article about tire break-in that talked about how heat cycles on the tire help "cure" it to break in. It's been cold (60's or less) every ride I've done since I've gotten it so maybe there's some merit to that.

1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

Interesting.  I've pushed tires hard with less miles on them than that.

What kind of tires?  Were you gassing out of the corner when you slid?

I was curious about that too... if tires took that long to scrub in there would be a lot more crashes at the track when people are on fresh rubber. Cooler temps are definitely on the list of potential contributing factors but I would guess that the tires were probably OK by that point.

Salt, antifreeze, oil, invisible gravel, really it could have been anything. Only way to know is to go back to the corner and look at it.

What tires are you running?

Edited by what

Yeah, checked it...it was clean. Also, when I checked the rear tire, I saw the uncharacteristic sideways scrape marks on an otherwise virgin area of tire.

Believe it or not, it didn't scare me as much as I would've thought. Probably because a) I wasn't going that fast and there were no hard barriers (trees, guardrails, etc) or other traffic nearby b) having ridden off-road for years, it wasn't something I hadn't experienced before c) I was fully geared up.

It wasn't a huge drift but long enough that I had time to evaluate the above and think - FUCK! I'm gonna wreck this bike before it's even had its first service!

I'm running the Bridgestone T30's that came on the bike. The same tires I bought a second set of because of the rebate promotion so they better pan out to be good tires!

Edited by ScubaCinci

34 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

Nope...I was even throttle and was barely midway into the curve what it happened (i.e. didn't occur on the exit). I really think the cold had a lot to do with it...not only were the tires somewhat cold (had been on the interstate but stopped 10 mins for gas) but I'm sure the road was very cold as well...it had gotten down to near freezing that night.

If the road was near freezing any moisture could have caused a slide.

I would expect decent ST tires to have grip in colder temps.  SS tires typically don't like the cold.

1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

I've pushed tires hard with less miles on them than that.

This, I say it was an outside factor. Heck, I spooned on a new rear Q3 at the track took maybe 2 laps to scrub them in and was on pace.

I am going to go with cold tires.  I know two people who went down in a relatively easy turn on a cool day with cold tires.  One bike had shitty tires and the other bike had newer tires.

18 hours ago, Wandering Soul said:

Glad you're alright.  I think with less that 300 miles on the tires you may not have "seasoned" them enough; especially on the edges.  That release agent applied to the mold to facilitate removal of the tire can be a bitch.

almost all tire manufacturers phased out release agents. the only one that still uses it that i'm aware of is michilen. the smooth, shiny appearance on new tires is due entirely to the surface of the mold cavity being polished to a very smooth surface finish. 

Prolly a combination of "All of the Above"...

Cold tires, cold road.  I typically reduce pressure 10-15% from summer norm, i.e., if 36/42 F/R is summer, I'll drop to 30/34 when temps are below 55-60*F.  That's for backroad hooning.  Obviously if you're gonna slab it or go touring two-up, stay at normal pressure.

Don't know anything about the new 6-axis IMUs, but I'd guess the mode you were in allows a certain amount of side slip before it intervenes.  I'd back it down a level or two of nanny-ness and work my up to the more aggressive modes until you get more experience with throttle response.

Even though mold release agents aren't commonly used in modern tire manufacturing, there is still the process of scuffing the surface rubber gradually as you ride.  If that was the first time you went aggro with full lean, you were on 100% brand new shiny rubber.  Wear those chicken strips off a bit at a time, not with one giant lurid slide!!!

And BTW, I call dibs on buying this bitch when you get tired of it and move on to the next mistress!!!  Already got the cash in hand...

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Bubba said:

And BTW, I call dibs on buying this bitch when you get tired of it and move on to the next mistress!!!  Already got the cash in hand...

The wife has already told me I've reached my new (to me) motorcycle quota for the foreseeable future...:nono:

At that time I didn't point out that the LV purse she bought at the time I got the bike cost about 1/3 the price of the bike. I'll be saving that one for later. :rulez:

23 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

The wife has already told me I've reached my new (to me) motorcycle quota for the foreseeable future...:nono:

At that time I didn't point out that the LV purse she bought at the time I got the bike cost about 1/3 the price of the bike. I'll be saving that one for later. :rulez:

I have the opposite problem(well not really a problem)my wife keeps telling me I can get a new bike if I want to because "im always working on mine" :lol: And she hates shopping with a passion, and thinks these designer brands with their over inflated price tags are insane. She's perfectly happy with no name and knock off stuff and money in the bank. I'm the cheap skate that dosnt want to spend on a new ride.

• Upvote 1