closing on my house 4/17/20 but...

serpentracer

21 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

It's a financially terrible decision to pay cash for a house.  Honestly, a bigger down payment or paying off a mortgage early doesn't make financial sense either... because meth.

Correct just one letter and you got that right, mister

42 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Whether you understand the math or not, paying off a house early doesn't make financial sense.  Now, there might be some personal value to you, or peace of mind for being able to say your house is paid off.  Perhaps that offsets the money you lost.

I and my brother came into a substantial inheritance when our mom died at age 93 in March of 2014. I paid off student loans, my remaining mortgage, and all outstading debt. It felt great. We put the remaining funds into conservative retirement accounts. We were decidedly lucky, but now have no tax dedutions when the IRS comes calling. I was told by my CPA that it is sometimes better to owe money than to be free and clear; this has always mystified me, and seems counterintuitave. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

I and my brother came into a substantial inheritance when our mom died at age 93 in March of 2014. I paid off student loans, my remaining mortgage, and all outstading debt. It felt great. We put the remaining funds into conservative retirement accounts. We were decidedly lucky, but now have no tax dedutions when the IRS comes calling. I was told by my CPA that it is sometimes better to owe money than to be free and clear; this has always mystified me, and seems counterintuitave. 

If you are barrowing money at 5% (minus 25% tax deduction or whatever your tax rate is), and you can easily earn 8% over time with passive index fund, it just doesn't add up to pay the mortgage off early.   It's not even close...the difference can be 6 figures.

I agree it's counter intuitive.  Most people don't believe it.  There are many articles on the subject that take into account interest rates since before the Great Depression.  The math always says don't pay off early.

Some people sleep better with no mortgage...I get that.  I'd rather be shitting in tall cotton when I retire.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/13/2020 at 10:37 PM, jbot said:

haha just moving from concord township to pepper pike so not a big move.   my 2 little kiddos are almost old/smart enough where the quality of education will really start to matter and I'm too much of a cheap POS to send them to private (well... not really, but I have my reasons).  hopefully everyone in pepper pike is still alive when this thing is over....  apparently, it is one of the highest concentrations of COVID infections in Cuyahoga county.  fuuuunnnn

I think that has more to do with the wealthy suburbs having more tests administered, and nothing to do with a higher infection rate. 

Looking at the map, broadview hts also had a pretty high number.  

I’m not worried, and i am all but moved into brecksville. 

7 minutes ago, CoDAF said:

It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken. 

Frank Perdue used to say this line during TV commercials that ran in the 1980s. It's still true today. May God rest his soul  🐤

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redkow97 said:

I think that has more to do with the wealthy suburbs having more tests administered, and nothing to do with a higher infection rate. 

Looking at the map, broadview hts also had a pretty high number.  

I’m not worried, and i am all but moved into brecksville. 

Coronavirus in Pepper Pike is available in gold or platinum, and infection is completely optional.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jbot said:

I told my kids we were moving to a place called Pepper Pike and my 3 year old asked "dada, is it spicy?"  Oh my sweet sweet little moron 

Well, aren't you hotter than a goat's butt in a pepper patch

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, serpentracer said:

this is the view I have in my back yard.

IMG_20200218_103121315_HDR.jpg

I would say unequivocally that the minor hassles you have gone through are worth this very nice location. If you don't already have them, get boats or kayaks--or both. Beautiful! Which direction are we looking at from this photo?

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 7:57 PM, SpecialEd said:

I would say unequivocally that the minor hassles you have gone through are worth this very nice location. If you don't already have them, get boats or kayaks--or both. Beautiful! Which direction are we looking at from this photo?

I was just kidding.  I couldn't afford to have that lawn mowed lol that's some lucky bastards house in indianapolis I helped repair a few windows and that was his view.