180 vs 190 series tire

natedogg624

i was reading the wera boards and came up on a thread talking about running 190's on the R6.

my stock tire is 180/55/17. would it be ok to switch to a 190 as long as its still designed for the 5.5" wheel?

for those that have switched what are some pros/cons of switching? it wasn't too clear on the benefits of it only that it was "different" but not defining it as a good or bad different...

also for anyone selling a NEW pilot power 2ct 180/55 or 190/55 (depending on how this thread turns out) PM me please.

190's arent designed for a 5.5 inch wheel.. they are design for a 6. so it actually pinches the tire and forces it to have a different profile that its suppose to. it will cause your bike to fall in to turns but with the additional curvature it will give you a bigger foot print while leaned over.. so far all ive heard is its not too good of and idea.. plus you have to adjust your rear height for it because it jacks it up.. literally sits higher.. id say stay 180 and get a sticky tire.. and your suspension set up by a professional or get a race tech rebuild or if you really want to spend money ohlins..

190/55s are being used by about every R6 racer in the US. Other than Jensen. He still uses the 180...

The 190 is a great tire IF you are fast enough for it and are leaned WAY over and need the extra grip. For the street? No need.

Track use? By all means. Extra contact patch is a result. The bike will also flip side to side a little better as a result of the 55 profile, but overall, it is very close in feel. The difference comes when you are a slider or a straight up and down guy. Also on corner exit. That 190 will not spin as much as the 180 and therefore the extra grip will result in a better drive.

That's the theory and what I believe in...

I have my bike that was designed for a 180. I run 190s religously and feel it is the best choice. I do not like how stable it is under braking as I like it to move more, but the overall results vs. the 180 has me sticking with a 190.

Again, top pros and top WERA National guys on R6s for the most part run 190s...

Has nothing to do with rim size, either. Hence the result of the 190/55 being made.

Oh, and the straight swap isn't going to happen. You do need to adjust, but depending on the original tire you had, it may be a better result. Typical street profiles are fairly tall and do not turn in as quick. Therefore, they handle slower and feel bulky.

Quick handling is the better of the two. Ask Flounder who switched from a 180 to a 190. He'll tell ya how fast it turns in. Quick turn in is a good thing. Bigger tire contact patch is a good thing, as well...

It isn't for every bike, though. The newer R6s are higher power to the ground and can move a 190. Older R6s? Probably not a good idea.

so the 190 thing is only for race app on the more powerful bikes then.

if i ever did want to switch in the future though what adjustments would i need to make though?

Yeah only real benefit will be track applications..

i changed my stock 180/55/17 to a 190/50/17. I had to adjust slightly but nothing major. I really like the bigger back tire, its really stable when I really get on it.

We are not talking about a 190/50 here.. we are talking about a 190/55.. big difference in turn in.. absolutely pointless to go to a 109/50 profile on a 5.5inch rim..

so the 190 thing is only for race app on the more powerful bikes then.

if i ever did want to switch in the future though what adjustments would i need to make though?

If you do it, make sure to get the 190/55 profile and not the 190/50. You will want to adjust your front ride height as the tire will raise your rear end.

i changed my stock 180/55/17 to a 190/50/17. I had to adjust slightly but nothing major. I really like the bigger back tire, its really stable when I really get on it.

What did you adjust.. a 190/50 wont make much difference on the bike and will actually be a slower turn in the the 180/55 as the 180/55 has a taller relative profile then the 190/50..

Another note as to the 190/50 being the wrong choice. Guys with liter bikes that have 190/50s are running and changing to 190/55 for quicker turn in.

DO NOT run a 190/50 unless you have a liter bike and want a little more side profile which translates into a better ride...

Yes. 190/55s have been being used by racers and even street/track guys for a good number of years... It isn't anything new at all...

What did you adjust.. a 190/50 wont make much difference on the bike and will actually be a slower turn in the the 180/55 as the 180/55 has a taller relative profile then the 190/50..

The person who had my bike b4 me ruined the back tire, and I literally rode it home on a tire that had strings showing. I needed a tire and 190/50 was there. I will be replacing my next tire with a 180/55 again.

yea so im just sticking with the 180 for now. maybe down the road i would consider a 190 rear and 70 up front...maybe

but i would like to try a 70 front definitely on the next set of tires (its a 60 stock and a common mod for the first gen R6 is to move to a 70 with some suspension adjustments to compensate)

Yeah, you're real fast. Especially at McDonald's with a tray!!!:D

hahahaha... I still cant believe he actually called us from the counter to come grab his food for him to walk him to the booth... that customer that brought his food over must have thought we were real assholes. :D

You listening to me crutch boy cripple? :)

190 on a 600...baaa! 180's are all i ever use, and i think i go plenty fast with 'em with no issues whatsoever.
by the way.. I threw a bunch of peanut MM into your engine when we swapped motors on sat.. I figured you would like the cooking chocolate smell while you ride. :flingpoo::D:D

lmao, that was def. hilarious! mmm.... m&ms!! yummy. Thanks again brian and aaron. i'm such a waste of life right now

I decided you were lonely so I joined you drew..

I got 2 decent legs, and one arm, you got two decent arms and one leg..

Gingerman SUCKS

There were enough crashes to make a crash fest trackday seem tame.

by the way.. I threw a bunch of peanut MM into your engine when we swapped motors on sat.. I figured you would like the cooking chocolate smell while you ride. :flingpoo::D:D

Thnaks for bailing early homo... Had to lift that motor by myself and put it in Cripple's trailer. I think I blew testicle gravy all over the back of the trailer in doing so. He'll never know since you spilled all his radiator fluid on the floor...:D