Chevy enviromental controls question

Tractor

Hey just thought I'd run a problem I'm having past some of you guys. Yal seem really knowledgable about alot of car related stuff.

I have a `95 GMC C1500 pickup and the vent controls stopped working. Its stuck comming out of the floor and the recirc and A/C lights don't turn on. The A/C compressor also doesn't cycle like it normally should. The blower control is working correctly. Its not vacuum actuated. Its electronic and I don't know alot about it.

Thanks

checked all fuses, voltages, grounds, performed a hard reset. AC relay is in good working order.

Anything else? I work in the electronics industry and I know all about the throwing parts at a problem thing and would rather go at it with more knowledge first. Thanks

it deffinately sounds like a vaccum leak... I had 2 vaccum lines backwards one time durring one of my many rebuilds and it did that... also, Crockostimpy in his old TA, either a vaccum line was left off or pinched and it did this.... you should double check your vaccum lines and make sure they are hooked up properly and don't have any kinks / clogs / broken.

DIDN'T ANYONE READ WHAT I'M SAYING?????? Unless yal know something I don't the `95 GM C1500 truck DOES NOT HAVE VACCUM lines. Its electronic with solenoids to control it. I'm thinking along the lines of Rotary Convert that the ECU is stopping it do to an electric componet failure.

Thanks guys,

Evan

Originally posted by Tractor:

DIDN'T ANYONE READ WHAT I'M SAYING?????? Unless yal know something I don't the `95 GM C1500 truck DOES NOT HAVE VACCUM lines.

Evan

(mental note... if he asks for help again, go to next thread) tongue.gif

What kind of motor is in that truck? I'd be interested to know more info about that.

ok if the relay is good check your refrigerant pressures if it leaked down the compressor will not allow the system to operate properly you may also want to check the clitch cycling switch its the two wires going into the front of the compressor run a hot lead right from the battery and see if it makes everything work if it does you are low on freon or the pressure switch is bad

hope this helps

As for Peekachoo if I have to be that specific I meant it does not have vacuum lines that control the vent ducts and other envirmental controls.

I've hot wired the cooling system and did a pressure test. It was low and I recharged it. In the hot wired setup it will blow nice cold air, but only through the floor ducts and the recirc and A/C leds still don't light up. The service manual is very simple in that section and doesn't even bother to go into troubleshooting beyond what we've already covered in this thread. The electrical point to point diagrams show quite a bit of stuff that the A/C circuit runs through. Including the HI/LOW pressure sensors and even the ECM. If it has some type of code I haven't been able to retrieve one and I tried a hard reset. I'll try another one tomorrow and see what happens.

Come to think of it, a guy I work with has a Tahoe, that I think is the same year, that has the exact same problem.

189. # 661103 JUL 96 A/C - Fan Only Operates on High Speed

249. # 561203 APR 95 A/C Control - Recirculation Mode Inoperative

I found these TSB's and thought they may be relevent. Evan, since this looks like a common problem to me, I'm sure there's someone at a dealership, or a chevy truck message forum that would know exactly what's wrong.

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/23/952311FW.html

EDIT - This link may be of some help:

http://www.pacific-audio.com/performance/messages/263834.html

EDIT - more

http://www.aircondition.com/wwwboard/2003Q1/97288.html

http://www.aircondition.com/wwwboard/2003Q1/97227.html

[ 18. April 2004, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: copper pee ]

did you check to make sure the switch that controls the vent settings was working? it could be dirty or worn. turn the switch to like defrost and probe the terminal with a light if it lights up the probs after the switch if it doesn't its before the switch or the switch is bad also check to make sure the switch is getting power may help you narrow down what to look for

hope this helps

Thanks guys. I already went through the all data stuff and found that it looked kinda common. As usual domestic car forums aren't nearly as good as the Japanese import ones for know anything about troubleshooting, but those links you provided looked good. I'll pull that panel and recheck and clean everything. Maybe I'll do some solidering also. Looks like a new panel cost $100+. Might have to rig up a new panel.

Originally posted by Tractor:

As for Peekachoo if I have to be that specific I meant it does not have vacuum lines that control the vent ducts and other envirmental controls.

I was asking you what kind of motor.... not if you thought the vacuum lines controled the enviornmental controls...

I didn't know that my V-8 was controlled that way and I had that problem as well as I saw it with another friend... I was just giving you an idea. If you don't wanna use it fine, but don't be a dick about it man.

Had you or anyone else been in the engine bay recently when it stopped working? That might give an idea if something was bumped or forgotten, or if it is the control panel.

Good lucky with fixing your problem.