Nothing holding me back now

Tinman

Well The V8 rx7 has been waiting on cylinder heads since last fall, they still are not done. So incase they are still under the knife come spring, I have a backup plan, a second set :D

http://tinypic.com/2008w4

The CNC work is done, I will start finishing the port work this weekend, have almost a 1/4" milled off, and get some flow numbers to see how they stack up to my other/broken heads. Then after it's back on the road I will kindly ask everyone to "bring it" ;)

Guest 10secondMouse
You gotta love a set of heads with maybe 500 miles on them! I just finished up a 440" sb2 motor for my friend. Big inch sb2 motors rip, it made 792 hp @ 7700 and 638 tq @ 5700 with a flying toilet (alcohol injection). He picked up the heads on ebay for $1900.00 that came with PSI springs and Del-west titanium valves.

Originally posted by DonkeyPunchmotorsports:

You gotta love a set of heads with maybe 500 miles on them! I just finished up a 440" sb2 motor for my friend. Big inch sb2 motors rip, it made 792 hp @ 7700 and 638 tq @ 5700 with a flying toilet (alcohol injection). He picked up the heads on ebay for $1900.00 that came with PSI springs and Del-west titanium valves.

Nice numbers, I would be interested to see the cam specs on that motor for comparision.

Guest 10secondMouse
Tinman, the cam is a Cam motion grind. It is .718 on the intake, .690 on the exhaust. 280 @ .050 intake and 292 @ .050 exhaust with a 112 lobe sep in the motor at 108. It made great hp but the torque was peaky. I was hoping for about 600 ft. lbs. from 5-7k but it fell off at 6200. Tony at BES (where dynoed) suggested that we retard the valve timing when its in the car to see if there is any difference in e.t.or mph. That is the first time I have played with the sb2 stuff, the thing that amazed me was the rpm range. It made fair power from 3-5000 but once it got past that, it was from 5-8k in the blink of an eye and pulled to 8600 like it was nothing.

Originally posted by DonkeyPunchmotorsports:

Tinman, the cam is a Cam motion grind. It is .718 on the intake, .690 on the exhaust. 280 @ .050 intake and 292 @ .050 exhaust with a 112 lobe sep in the motor at 108. It made great hp but the torque was peaky. I was hoping for about 600 ft. lbs. from 5-7k but it fell off at 6200. Tony at BES (where dynoed) suggested that we retard the valve timing when its in the car to see if there is any difference in e.t.or mph. That is the first time I have played with the sb2 stuff, the thing that amazed me was the rpm range. It made fair power from 3-5000 but once it got past that, it was from 5-8k in the blink of an eye and pulled to 8600 like it was nothing.

Hmm, quite a bit different grind than the one in mine. Of course the motors are pretty different too. I plan on trying a few different cams in this engine, I may have to try one in that neighborhood.

Thanks for posting that, there aren't alot of sb2s out there and it's nice to see the different combos and the power they make.

Guest Ranger_Man
Originally posted by Orion:

badass, matt. ever need any (rather dubious) help, you know who to call.

Yea, but if you need shit done, call me. I am only 20 hours away with the lexus, 17 or so with the 240.

Originally posted by buckeye:

Matt how is the body tied and strenghened ?

Except for the shock tower brace, it's not. Actually the FCs any very stiff little platforms. If I was going to drag race it, I would install a cage and firewall back frame rails. But since it's headed for the road course, I'll just tie the suspension points together the best I can without a cage.

Guest Ponyfreak

About time Matt. Eli's slacker tendencies have rubbed off on you. He is the only person I know that buys a supercharger, looks at it everyday for 3 years, and still cannot muster up enough will power to put it on.

Time to get that RX7 on the road.

Originally posted by Tinman:

Except for the shock tower brace, it's not. Actually the FCs any very stiff little platforms. If I was going to drag race it, I would install a cage and firewall back frame rails. But since it's headed for the road course, I'll just tie the suspension points together the best I can without a cage.

Not only did he put a V8 in it, its getting road raced!!!!