2006 Grand Prix GT

DrEvil3264

My dad just ordered one for his company car, apperently it has the 05 GTP supercharged engine in it. What do you guys know about them such as performance/reliability? Just curious cuz ill prob be driving it a bit when it comes in. Thanks for the replys.

Guest mithesaint

www.goclubgp.com

www.clubgp.com

Go to the message boards there, and you'll get all the info you want. They can be modded fairly easily, and hold up pretty well. The 3800 holds up pretty well, at least the series II did. Not sure about the series III. Like BLUE BY U said though, the trannies are the first to go. Replacements are cheap though:)

Guest mithesaint

Not sure about the Series III, but on the series II it's pretty cheap. Depending on the individual engine, you could probably drop from the 3.8 pulley to the 3.4 with not much more than colder plugs, a CAI, a 180 t-stat and a U-bend delete. Might need more than that depending on how much KR you see.

Disclaimer: I only have a GT, and have never actually dealt with the SC personally. Just repeating what seems to be common wisdom. I welcome any corrections from more experienced GPer's.

Originally posted by 04636Ninja:

My dad just ordered one for his company car, apperently it has the 05 GTP supercharged engine in it. What do you guys know about them such as performance/reliability? Just curious cuz ill prob be driving it a bit when it comes in. Thanks for the replys.

The motors are solid. Series III (04+) are the same as series II with the exception of powercoated forged rods, oil pressure is a tad higher, the computer has some added resolution, and the heads are a weee differant )little bigger valves) and best part of all, the blower that comes straddled on the motor will out perform a ported gen 3 (stock on Series II). Give or take.

The motors respnod well to bolt ons. The trannies tend to be on the weak side, but they can still take a slight beating. If you are looking for serious power, look at a full built tranny.

I'd say 250-260whp with no harsh tranny abuse would be the limits. Really its the clutches, differantial and drive chain that cannot take the power. Chris or someone else can tel you moer about the limits from their experiance. All I know is I have gone through a stock and a "race built" and have learned quite alot and who to go to that will do the shit righ the first time.

Pulley, Intake, PEMs, Downpipe, and rockers will turn the car into a whole nother bag of pudding. smile.gif

Good luck!

Originally posted by GEquinox:

Why didn't he order the new Grand Prix GXP with the 5.3 V8 in it? They're the same price as the GTP and get the same gas milage with the displacement on demand.

I bet the insurance is being covered by his company and they wouldn't pay for the insurance on a v8.

• 1 year later...

unfortunately the new 06's have a whole new PCM and slapping the pulley and go fast goodies on there as in the past aren't as easy.

Not sure about the Series III, but on the series II it's pretty cheap. Depending on the individual engine, you could probably drop from the 3.8 pulley to the 3.4 with not much more than colder plugs, a CAI, a 180 t-stat and a U-bend delete. Might need more than that depending on how much KR you see.

Disclaimer: I only have a GT, and have never actually dealt with the SC personally. Just repeating what seems to be common wisdom. I welcome any corrections from more experienced GPer's.

well, yes and no....on the highway, the GXP does great getting real world MPG's of 26-30mpg.....but I've not been able to break 16mpg in the city/suburbs of columbus. I can get 16-18mpg average from a tank if I do mixed driving in Columbus.

Why didn't he order the new Grand Prix GXP with the 5.3 V8 in it? They're the same price as the GTP and get the same gas milage with the displacement on demand.

trannies are shit.... let me repeat it for good measures... the trannies are shit... I'm now on my 2nd tranny... I don't beat on the car at all and it's going out again.... you couldn't give me another one of these cars.

Just throw a 3.0 pulley on, and get a CM that commands 22 degrees of timing and you win. It's a company car right?

thats just fucke dup

its the L36 block i think it is 3.6 pulley is the upgrade i always see done to those for some reason.

vs or 3.4

thats a awesome POP setup you designed there

thats just fucke dup

its the L36 block i think it is 3.6 pulley is the upgrade i always see done to those for some reason.

vs or 3.4

thats a awesome POP setup you designed there

That would be the L32 block and it has the Gen 5 blower which is a lot more effecient than the Gen 3 blowers on Series II L67's. A Gen 5 is gonna push more air than a Gen 3 with the same pulley size.