could you imagine a ticket for doing 205?

stealthmonkey

Not to argue with you MotoMat but as an avid Motorcyclest I have to tell you your logic is completely off. government regulations require a bike to be limited to 186mph. Regardless the only bikes that could possibly reach this value are the Hayabusa and ZX-12R and per many tests inthe motorcycle world it's commonly known that it's a rare occurance for any one of these bikes to actually reach this value.

The Hayabusa and ZX-12 have a huge aerodymanic advantage over the other more dedicated sport bikes like all of the current crop of Leiter bikes. Yes they are getting better but are severly handycapped compared to the other bikes.

Now with that said...it was possible...but he would have big money into mods on that bike to really achieve that value in the way of turbo's and what not and to this point I donot know of a turbo kit for the new CBR. To put this into perspective Lee Sheirts is one of the biggest motor builders for GSXR 1000's. He built a 1140cc GSXR 1000 that was making around 240hp that currently owns the land speed record for a 1000 cc bike at 200.1mph.

Andy

My 02 R1 put 152 to the ground, and is on the lighter side of a 1300cc busa... does mean mean I can run 205 ACTUALY mph as well?

Indicated speed and ACTUAL speed vary quite a bit. Im wondering how an airplane is able to accuratley clock something that small moving that fast.

I think it would take a -3 - 5 teeth down in the rear and more than 200 wheel hp to be able to tear through the wind to achieve over 200 actual miles per hour.

Guest riggs867

AudiOn19s, you are probably right, a stone stock CBR1000 breaking 200 mph is probably a stretch. I am just thinking in terms of horsepower to weight and frontal area (drag) from an aerodynamics perspective. The Busa and ZX12 have a definite advantage in the torque department that may play into the equation too.

A CBR1000, stetched with laughing gas would do it without a problem though. 200 is tough, but not impossible. The news article doesn't talk about mods. A full exhaust, a power commander, and a half day at the dyno could net you 20 hp fairly easily on a liter bike.

The Honda RC211V (GP bike) had a top speed of 215 mph at Mugello, and 210 mph at Barcelona this year. The Ten Kate Racing CBR1000RR registered 194 in a speed trap this year at Monza, and the bike's telemetry showed that it went 200 mph. While the RC211V is obviously not a fair comparison (220 to 230 hp), the Ten Kate bike is fairly close to stock because of World SuperBike rules. Granted, they are running a thinner head gasket (or none at all), and using every trick in the book to eek out ponies, but they are Honda parts. I hear that this month's Motorcyclist has an article on a 200 mph 1000RR, and that Ten Kate sells a "kit" for the CBR1000RR that will put it over the 200 mph barrier.

I am trying to figure out what plane they were in.

Police typically use little single engine Cessna's and I believe that their top speed is about 160. So that would be interesting to see how they observed this bike at these speeds for any length of time.

Photochopping is not out of the question here either.

I don't doubt that there are cars and bikes out there that will run like this. But finding a strech of road that is both smooth enough and long enough would be a bit of a trick, at least around here.

Now as far as being able to clock it. It's a distance over time thing, you look at a specific distance and time it start to end. Basically 60 MPH = 88 Feet per second = 5280 Feet per minute = 1 mile per minute.

Everyone has seen the crosses painted in the road, they are spaces so many feet apart, and the guy in the plane has a stopwatch and a calculator.

(The calculator is for when it's over the little chart that they normally carry as well saying that X number of seconds over this measured distance equals Y MPH.

It you want to REALLY fuck em up. get some white paint and paint your own crosses, closer together, and watch the cops have a hayday writing tickets.