Wife's Car Choices...PLEASE HELP!

zeitgeist57

We are looking to trade in our 2000 Passat V6 5-speed, and I'm a lucky man to have my wife narrow her next car down to the following four...picking a favorite is going to be tough! Please give me honest recommendations for a daily-driver and occasional weekend-getaway vehicle. We have no kids. All vehicles are USED (exc. G35), and ALL will be bought with fully manual transmission (no manu-matic shit here!):

>>>2004 Caddy CTS-V: $39k +:Performance, features -:Price Tag

>>>03-04 Mazda RX-8: $23-28k +:Unique,efficient -:no torque

>>>01-04 Lexus IS300: $18-$28k +:Balanced, quality -:somewhat average in performance and styling

>>>05 Infiniti G35: $33-36k +:Style -:Manual only on '05, no used car values here

Please help...thanks! smile.gif

cts-v - great car 1st choice

rx8- nah this would be the last on my list of the 4 listed

IS300- this would be my second choice for a quality car and resonable price

G35 - friend has one I have driven it may times. His is not a smooth driving car and feels underpowered for a sports coupe.

final call. While the CTS-V is a great all around car the amount of money you will likely loose in depreciation would be enough to make me go with the IS300.

Originally posted by Ricochet:

If I had the money I'd go for a G35 and teach her how to drive stick, but the IS300 is a great car for the price.

please re-read original post. Thank You ;)

Lexus = hotsauce. It's got the N/A 2JZ-GE motor in it, which is reliable to what, 700 horsepower? It's also got a TOUGH 5 speed in it, shouldn't have any reliability problems what so ever. Also has the fuel effeciency of a Camry. That's my first pick.

Second choice would be the Infinity. I'm not crazy about the styling, but it's a huge step over the 350z. Should handle well and have reasonable power, but it's not really anything special.

RX-8...not what I would consider a good daily driver.

Caddy CTS-V...heavy, depreciates quick, I'd be willing to bet gas milage is about on par with the rotary (sub-par). I would also wager that the fit and finish of the Lex or Infinity is better, even with the lower pricetag. The only Cadilacs I would ever consider would be the one based off the C6, and the Catera with a motor swap. OH SHIT, neither of those cars were actually desinged or built by Cadilac...

CTS-V Clay!! She would love that car. And so would you ;)

Next I would pick the G35. My dad was considering one before he picked up the vette. They are sweet.

The other's would be a toss up for last. Not bad cars at all, but nothing I would actually buy for myself.

-Marc

Marc is correct - those Infiniti's are nice & hold good re-sale value. I like all of your choices & don't think any of them would be a bad buy. Since I work at Nissan North I also have to say = you should check out the Maxima's. Strong torkie V-6 putting out 260 hp ---- :D

Have you considered any Audi's?

From the list you've provided i would have to choose the CTS-V. Although i have heard stories of the shifter being a bit "rubbery". Guess you'll just have to drive them all to find out which one suit's you/her the most.

And if your not completely sold on having a manual transmission, why not a Chrysler 300C?

Though I never drove one, I sat in an IS300 back to back with several other Lexus cars. It really felt like a poor man's Lexus in comparison to all of their other products.

CTS-V = awesome. Should get pretty decent mileage for a big car w/ a V8.

RX8; torqueless rotary that sounds like ass, the little third door thing is cheesy IMO.

G35 us alright, but doesn't really do it for me.

What about an 05 GTO?? Definately in the same price range as a G35, but should be a HELL of a lot faster. 400HP LS2, bigger brakes than the 04, will be available w/ hood scopps, dual outlet exhaust now; basically many of the complaints of the 04 GTO have been addressed.

Well, we test drove a RX-8. To use some intarnet terms, the RX-8 = *** loosar. That thing suxored the big 1 !!!!111! NO Torque, and WAAAY overpriced for what you had.

BY FAR (and to each his/her own) my wife has made the bar-none decision that the CTS-V will be her next car of choice. I guess we can close out this thread! ;)

i would deffinitly say the lexus or infinity but there is a thing i would warn you about the Is300. in snow with the oem tires the car is nothing mear then a sled on ice. stepmom had a stock is300 and couldnt stop or even get up the drive way with the stock tires. may want to get snowtires if you get the is300. im not sure of the G35 in snow but i would say its good because of weight. ill tell you what tho, if she gets the is300 you may want to keep a key set for yourself. it gives a great time in the summer

I'd say you're looking at snow problems with any of those cars to some extent. I personally like the G35 coupe a lot, then the IS300 and thirdly the CTS-V (solely based on the $cha-ching$), and then the RX-8.

How about a BMW 5-series (circa 2001-2003). I'm partial to the 540i.

Originally posted by Corolla sans Engine:

I'd say you're looking at snow problems with any of those cars to some extent. ...

Those of us born early enough to have learned how to drive in Ohio before the onslaught of the FWD plague have no problems.

Not saying Zeit's wife is old...

I'm going with Big Pappa's order:

1 - CTS-V

2 - IS300

3 - the infinity

4 - that other car

Originally posted by copperhead:

Caddy CTS-V...heavy, depreciates quick, I'd be willing to bet gas milage is about on par with the rotary (sub-par). I would also wager that the fit and finish of the Lex or Infinity is better, even with the lower pricetag. The only Cadilacs I would ever consider would be the one based off the C6, and the Catera with a motor swap. OH SHIT, neither of those cars were actually desinged or built by Cadilac...

Totally wrong about the fit-and-finish. Test drove a regular CTS and the interior is almost as well put together as a Mercedes. Performance was pretty good, too. With the 5.7 and the suspension upgrades, the V has got to be a fucking demon.