Autoweek blurb on possible new Z06

Mowgli1647545497

Umm, if I'm doing the simple math right, that's a 428cu.in. motor (7L), that's just a little hard to believe. Especially with the stock motor being a 6L motor, that's just a huge jump, especially considering the ‘current’ (old) regular C5 and Z06 is the same engine (right)? They are at least the same size (just different heads and intake correct)?

In fact, alot of those specs. are really hard to swallow.

Originally posted by Neo:

Umm, if I'm doing the simple math right, that's a 428cu.in. motor (7L), that's just a little hard to believe. Especially with the stock motor being a 6L motor, that's just a huge jump, especially considering the ‘current’ (old) regular C5 and Z06 is the same engine (right)? They are at least the same size (just different heads and intake correct)?

If you can take the LS1 to 427... theres no reason why you cant take a 366 to a 428. The C5 and Z06 did not have the same engines. The LS6 and LS1 were different. The C6 has an LS2 engine... also different. Im assuming the 427 in the new Z06 will probably also be its own engine.

If it were up to me though... id sell them off with 572 crate engines ;)

You need to do a little more research. The LS1 and LS6 block are nearly identical, but do have a few small differences. Intake wise, later LS1's got the LS6 intake. The LS6 heads are different, the compression is slightly higher, and it has a more agressive cam over the LS1.

The LS2 uses heads that are pretty much LS6 castings, but with a milder cam. They gain the power back by running a higher compression (using flat-top pistons) and larger displacement.

The LS6/LS2 heads aren't even the top LS series head GM has....that is saved for the C5R head.

I'd guestimate if you just took an LS2, bumped up the displacement to 7L, and tossed in an LS6ish style cam, that alone would be good enough for 440-450HP. My guess is that GM will go with a cam even more agressive than the LS6 cam, and get an even better flowing head setup. I'd guess a different intake too, along with some other goodies that won't make much of a difference.

Originally posted by Ricochet:

GM must love making that thing uglier every year..

Its starting to look like a ferrari... i think they need to take it back to the late model C4 look. Or even the GS/GTS style. Those were some nice looking cars. I like them and all, but the new ones look too much like toys and not like monsters.

Yeah, I assumed that you could make a 5.7L LS1 or LS6 at least that big. And I didn't know the C5R engine was that big and you could bye it. I'm just surprised to see them bump up the displacement that much on something they are selling stock. There’s a huge difference in what is done in the aftermarket and what most car companies will sell stock. But if Phil says all of that is true, I believe it because he will probably get to drive one before we know any specs 'officially' from Chevy.

So Joe, I was pretty much dead on except for a few small caveats? I guess those question marks were me saying I didn't know for sure, just what I've picked up in conversation. Funny what a question mark will do. I don't know those cars that well, but I guess I knew them well enough. Thanks for clarifying though, but the first sentence wasn't needed.

Originally posted by Ricochet:

GM must love making that thing uglier every year..

I'm not even going to comment on that. The C6 is freaking awesome, and the Z06 is only going to be better looking.

So Joe, I was pretty much dead on except for a few small caveats? I guess those question marks were me saying I didn't know for sure, just what I've picked up in conversation. Funny what a question mark will do. I don't know those cars that well, but I guess I knew them well enough. Thanks for clarifying though, but the first sentence wasn't needed.

Jesus, I tell you that you need to do a little more research, and you act like I ran over your dog....geesh.

Originally posted by buckeye:

that car is so fn ugly I would rather drive a asstek than that

*Looks at list of cars in profile*

Hey pot this is kettle have we met? I hated the looks of the C5 (minus Z06 they are nice looking) but the C6 is very sharp, if I ever could afford one I would buy it.