mid ohio stt 7-28

natedogg624

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just signed up for the 28th for Novice as well. I've never done a track day before. Any tips?

RymerC, are you riding there the same day or the day before?

Be smooth and consistant. Get with ANY of the instructors and ask a shit pile of questions. We all started where you are going to and know what questions we had. If you go in and do it with doubt or questions and you don't ask, you won't learn and take away valuable info that will make you better.

Welcome to track days!

I just signed up for the 28th for Novice as well. I've never done a track day before. Any tips?

RymerC, are you riding there the same day or the day before?

Same day only, 28th. I'll look for ya, I'm sure I'll be the only one on the red Superhawk. I might actually be bringing a 02' gixxer 750 with me to try out, but I don't know if that's a good idea on my first track day yet.

Yeah, my cb1100f isn't really rideable at this point. It starts and runs really strong, but eats batteries like candy, and needs some work here and there. They are fun though. This one definatley won't be on the track for awhile.

Ask lots of question, got it. I'm hoping they'll let me do an LED after one or two trackdays, but I don't know if I'll get there this year. Lets hope!

Same day only, 28th. I'll look for ya, I'm sure I'll be the only one on the red Superhawk. I might actually be bringing a 02' gixxer 750 with me to try out, but I don't know if that's a good idea on my first track day yet.

Yeah, my cb1100f isn't really rideable at this point. It starts and runs really strong, but eats batteries like candy, and needs some work here and there. They are fun though. This one definatley won't be on the track for awhile.

Ask lots of question, got it. I'm hoping they'll let me do an LED after one or two trackdays, but I don't know if I'll get there this year. Lets hope!

Are you riding to the track the same morning or the night before?

Any of you Cleveland smucks (r1crusher/rvtpilot) figure out if you are going?

I was wanting to go on the 28th but RVT has had to postpone going at this time. Now we're looking at the makeup date in Aug. I'd rather do the all in two one as you'd get more on track time but we'll see. I couldn't go as I still need a set of leather anyway.

I was wanting to go on the 28th but RVT has had to postpone going at this time. Now we're looking at the makeup date in Aug. I'd rather do the all in two one as you'd get more on track time but we'll see. I couldn't go as I still need a set of leather anyway.

would this be your first trackday? If so I wouldnt suggest a all in one.

If its your first track day, you NEED to run novice.. Make sure to ask if they have a novice group for the day your signing up for...

+10 if you have not done a day DO not do a LED day.. you will be wore out by lunch time. I don't care how fit a person is first time on the track 95% are mentally drained by 1st or 2nd session after lunch and that is with 20 minute sessions.

It takes a lot of stamina to last 30 minutes at Mid OH

Everyone I think knows about the all in two days. They just split up the I group and the slower guys run with the N's and the faster guys run with the A's. I though everything else was the same for any novice: classroom instruction, track, classroom, track, etc. Instead of 3 - 10 min. sessions you get 2 - 30 min. sessions. So you get what you really need....seat time. And being a track day you can exit early if need be due to fatigue.

I have no plans on anything other than days offering time for N's at this point.

Everyone I think knows about the all in two days. They just split up the I group and the slower guys run with the N's and the faster guys run with the A's. I though everything else was the same for any novice: classroom instruction, track, classroom, track, etc. Instead of 3 - 10 min. sessions you get 2 - 30 min. sessions. So you get what you really need....seat time. And being a track day you can exit early if need be due to fatigue.

I have no plans on anything other than days offering time for N's at this point.

They will not split the I group and make them run N... In Novice, you are following an instructor and cannot pass. You are not following instructors in I or A and are allowed to pass anyone. Also, its usually 5-6 20 min sessions.. Ive never heard of 3-10 mins or 2 - 30 mins.. You get way more time then that at a track day.

They will not split the I group and make them run N... In Novice, you are following an instructor and cannot pass. You are not following instructors in I or A and are allowed to pass anyone. Also, its usually 5-6 20 min sessions.. Ive never heard of 3-10 mins or 2 - 30 mins.. You get way more time then that at a track day.

I have no idea what he is talking about unless it is an actual school that Mid OH puts on without STT.

I thought he meant all in two groups like the LED days..

exactly, i read the post and i decided not to mess with it because he lost me...

but i will give you the stt setup. (correct me if im wrong please)

regular trackday- 3 groups, novice, inter., and advanced.

with novice getting classroom time while inter and advanced is on course.

each group gets about 5-6 20min. sessions

led- inter. and advanced only, both getting 30min. sessions and i dont know how many sessions they get during the day.

all in one- its a free for all with breaks in between.

dang where is lizard to clear this up...

my understanding from the people i have talked to is this for the novice class, you are not following an instructor, save for the first few laps, but there are instructors on course. you go at your own pace but no passing unless you are clearly able to overtake him on a straightaway only.

I-are allowed to pass in turns, but on the outside only

A- all out war

I im not to sure if thats correct or not.

and its 7-20 minute sessions. this is all for a normal STT tracktime, not LED which i know nothing about.

if someone knows otherwise please let me know.

dang where is lizard to clear this up...

my understanding from the people i have talked to is this for the novice class, you are not following an instructor, save for the first few laps, but there are instructors on course. you go at your own pace but no passing unless you are clearly able to overtake him on a straightaway only.

No passing in novice, the novice group is broken up into several smaller groups with an instructor per group. You follow the instructor around the track for the most part, unless they are having a student lead the group so the instructor can see how they do when they aren't being towed around.

Right from STT website:

ALL-in-TWO is our new two-group format which accommodates all three skill levels, Novice, Intermediate and Advanced. Two groups are available, Sport & Supersport.

Sport: Novice and low to mid level Intermediates. This group will still have classroom sessions for Novice riders and Track Coaches but the on-track format will be less restrictive.

Supersport: Mid to upper Intermediates and Advanced. Each group receives 30-minutes of track time each hour. This is a great way to maximize your track time.

Passing Rules: Sport Group: Straights and outside of turns with a six-foot safety zone.

Supersport Group: Safe passing allowed anyplace on the track with a six-foot safety zone.

ALL IN TWO FORMAT IS A MORE OPEN FORMAT THEN THE TRADITIONAL STT THREE GROUP NOVICE FORMAT. IT MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR THE RIDER WHO MAY BE DOING THEIR FIRST TRACK DAY...

That should clear everything up I think.

I've been riding for 17 years....I don't think I need a regular novice track day.

Right from STT website:

ALL-in-TWO is our new two-group format which accommodates all three skill levels, Novice, Intermediate and Advanced. Two groups are available, Sport & Supersport.

Sport: Novice and low to mid level Intermediates. This group will still have classroom sessions for Novice riders and Track Coaches but the on-track format will be less restrictive.

Supersport: Mid to upper Intermediates and Advanced. Each group receives 30-minutes of track time each hour. This is a great way to maximize your track time.

Passing Rules: Sport Group: Straights and outside of turns with a six-foot safety zone.

Supersport Group: Safe passing allowed anyplace on the track with a six-foot safety zone.

ALL IN TWO FORMAT IS A MORE OPEN FORMAT THEN THE TRADITIONAL STT THREE GROUP NOVICE FORMAT. IT MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR THE RIDER WHO MAY BE DOING THEIR FIRST TRACK DAY...

I've been riding for 17 years....I don't think I need a regular novice track day.

Well my buddy who had been riding for 20 some years and was very fast street rider and had owned every bad bike Suzuki made (84 Katana 1000, GS 1150E, TL-S 97, TL-R, 93 Katana 1100, BUSA) said the Novice group was the best thing he did.. It will introduce you to the track and track riding procedures.

Now the all in two may be ok since they will still be watching you and you will get classroom. I still think 20 minute sessions will be a for first timers since you probably will not be able to run 30 minutes then you are just wasting your money. Heck I know a lot of first timers have issues with running 20 minutes sessions.

Right from STT website:

Hmm.. I didnt know this was a new grouping.. interesting and I stand corrected.

As far as the riding goes, you will be suprised at how much you learn in a regular novice group. As an FYI, novice on the track does not mean the same thing as novice street. Novice track riders are still dragging knee on the corners.

I understand everyones comments and thoughts, which are appreciated. I'm definetly not an uber fast street rider as I ride within my own personal comfort zone (and it's not always the ideal place either). I certainly don't want to be blindly let go on the track as a N. I'm paying for the track usage AS WELL AS the instruction. RVT went on a "normal" track day and I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but he wasn't exactly happy that he had to ride around behind instructors all the time. Granted the weather conditions were not ideal but still.

My single fear is I'll be held back knowing I can do better if given the room. I didn't drive all that way to play follow the leader for 8 hours, 3-4 I'll give ya, but not 8.

I understand everyones comments and thoughts, which are appreciated. I'm definetly not an uber fast street rider as I ride within my own personal comfort zone (and it's not always the ideal place either). I certainly don't want to be blindly let go on the track as a N. I'm paying for the track usage AS WELL AS the instruction. RVT went on a "normal" track day and I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but he wasn't exactly happy that he had to ride around behind instructors all the time. Granted the weather conditions were not ideal but still.

My single fear is I'll be held back knowing I can do better if given the room. I didn't drive all that way to play follow the leader for 8 hours, 3-4 I'll give ya, but not 8.

From all the days with STT I have been the follow the leader is only in the morning sessions and one session after lunch.. Then they release the riders to ride at their own pace, but coaches are always around and will jump in to help you if they see something.

I have never seen a STT day where every session was follow the leader. The morning sessions are a way for them to introduce you to the track, then sessions to help you work on tools to help you improve.

You're not so off base, crusher. But it wasn't the instructors so much as it was the other riders. With passing being as restricted as it was, and being able to take some better lines than some others in my particular group, there were moments were we found ourselves bottlenecked. But, that comes with this kind of thing, and I am not saying this to be critical of any other riders. I am slow in plenty of spots. But a lot of the places I was trying to work to go faster were places I was getting hung up that particular day.

However, I did find that if I went to an instructor for help or questions, they would accomodate me as best they could. And a couple times, they would lead me and others around the track faster even within the group and helped us find spots to pass that I would have been uncomfortable doing otherwise.

Having ridden with r1 for a while now, I know that he will soon be frustrated, not bored. Not that another rider is slower per se, but just that he will want to work ro get faster and better.

He's still a dick though.

You're not so off base, crusher. But it wasn't the instructors so much as it was the other riders. With passing being as restricted as it was, and being able to take some better lines than some others in my particular group, there were moments were we found ourselves bottlenecked. But, that comes with this kind of thing, and I am not saying this to be critical of any other riders. I am slow in plenty of spots. But a lot of the places I was trying to work to go faster were places I was getting hung up that particular day.

However, I did find that if I went to an instructor for help or questions, they would accomodate me as best they could. And a couple times, they would lead me and others around the track faster even within the group and helped us find spots to pass that I would have been uncomfortable doing otherwise.

Having ridden with r1 for a while now, I know that he will soon be frustrated, not bored. Not that another rider is slower per se, but just that he will want to work ro get faster and better.

He's still a dick though.

I know how you feel.. I get the same feeling in the advance group.. Last couple times I have been to Mid OH there have been riders in the advance group turning close to 2:00 lap times. And the bottlenecks happen.

Though it was one way I was able to close back down on Chaz Davies when he hit some of them :D

I just feel it is better to be annoyed the first time then scared from guys passing you mid corner or late on the outside.

My dad almost stopped riding the track after his first morning because he was spooked (even in STT novice group) from how fast the coaches went and when the faster groups were brought by on the straight. Once we got him to stop worrying about everyone else he was fine.