What chassis for a small block swap?

SHIEF

Well, since I quit on my 240 I'm going back to V8 land. I have a pretty decent chevy small block ready to go when I find a decent chassis to put it in. This will be matched up with a powerglide for the tranny. So what chassis would you pick? I kind of want something different, but not expensive to get ahold of. Needs to already be rwd. So far the only 2 I have been thinking about based only on my liking of Nissans is a S14 240sx ("yeah it's an SR") and a older 240Z, 260Z. But I'm open to other chassis as well. What would you pick and why?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

S-10 and second gen RX-7 are the two that come to mind. Both cheap chassis to come across, both have readily available conversion kits on the market and lots of research backing the swap to keep you from making mistakes that others have made

I built a small block S-10 as my first vehicle...what a rip...and while they're fairly common these days...there's always a place in my heart for a well put together small block s-10 swap. Probably the cheapest of all of the conversions as well.

Andy

Guest mudbutt
mk3 supra. Cheap, easy to find. comfortable(if you care). Downside is that they are heavy 3500ish for a hardtop and 3600ish for a targa. Gutted with a fiberglass hood they can get to 3000 or below. The good thing about this compared to like a 240 is that the sbc wont weigh much more than the stock inline 6, so these numbers wont change too much. Another good thing is that the motor will be shorter and more of the weight will be behind the front axle. There is a pretty cool low buck TT sbc mk3 on SDSs site.

Guest Rane
I have a fucked up fastiva for you in my backyard. Body is mostly fine but I shot out the taillight with a paintball gun. $11 and you can have it.

This thing will make just a little more hp than a LT1 smile.gif Yeah there are a few S13, S14 V8 cars. So it's been done with good results. Don't really want to swap it into a truck though.

Originally posted by Mallard:

RX7's are pretty easy to put 5.0's or small blocks into

Anyone ever put a V8 into an FB? I've never heard of one or seen one before and I was just wondering. Mainly since thoes are the lightest out of all of them, and handel very well.

Go with a 1st or 2nd gen RX 7. I've been looking into this for a while. I have a first gen 7 with a wore out engine that I want to put a 5.0L in. From what I read the first gen is best fitted with a 5.0L Ford but will hold a SBC with no problem. The second gen seems to be the most popular choice for the SBC tho. Look at these sites for more info.

http://members.tripod.com/~grannys/rx7.html

http://www.v8rx7.com/

http://www.torquecentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Originally posted by Trouble Maker:

Anyone ever put a V8 into an FB? I've never heard of one or seen one before and I was just wondering. Mainly since thoes are the lightest out of all of them, and handel very well.

There are quite a few running around, everything from an 8 sec drag car to auto-crossed sbf powered fb.

Check here for all three generations of v8 powered rx7s v8 rx7s