Cobras Suck

Mowgli1647545497

Oh I forgot to mention, I did alot of my searching and negotiating over emails n such. One of the finalists emailed me "lets not loose the $1,500" (referring to a cashback incentive) and in another one that he "will not loose this deal for not working the best possible numbers". Um yeah, okaaay.

He loosed the deal. As a rule I try to not give money to retards. :rolleyes:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Mowgli:

3,850lbs. My seat of the pants is its slower than the Cobra. But I'm only at 113 miles on the engine so I'm still breaking it in.

It seems to initial turn in quicker but I think they're neck n neck on holding a turning G. A cool thing on the CTV-V is its got a G meter built into the dash below the tach - you can call up a display of instantaneous as well as peak Gs. I've hit so far .68 left turn and .64 right (gimme a break its one day old).

Brakes are right there - 14 inches brembos to the Cobra's 13s I think handles the extra pounds.

Seats could use side bolster and side lat adjustability like the Cobra's, and I'd appreciate a little longer seat for under my legs. But the overall feel is more comfortable for long rides, the lumbar is better, and the headrest is better.

The stereo has more doodads n stuff which is nice. I'm not going to bet its louder than the Mach460 but I haven't cranked it up. But I'd be surprised if it could keep up at high volume. Still, its a Bose so it sounds great at low to mid volumes. and its got a ton more to play with.

The vents are nicer, and the heating and ac controls have alot more adjustability.

It doesn't have a good new car smell but I think thats just the exhaust pipes getting a rude awakening on their wintertime burnin.

The traction control is orders of magnitude better than the orwellian system on the Cobra. I know all my Cobra brothers probably hated that thing as much as me. A cool thing on th eV is that hte control to turn TC off/on is a thumbswitch right on the steering wheel (the regular CTS's switch is in the glovebox). Lol are they giving me a hint?

Apparently CTS-V's suffer from wheel hop isses on launch like the Cobras, but I'm a ways from finding this out, call me back when I break it in...

The shifter is SO MUCH BETTER than the Cobra's it disgusting. But I think I was one of the folks that hated the Cobra's shifter and its placement more than most (I'd swapped it out in favor of a MGW unit anyway). But, I gotta ask - WTF WAS GM THINKING WITH THIS FRIGGING SKIPSHIFT?!?

But I really don't have alot to tell - its all first impressions and stuff. Gimme a summer.

Anyway thx for the thumbsup and all.

...Oh and that LS6 sounds sweet.

Dont know if your interested or not but i have a skip shift elm. i purchased and never put on my car. brand new still in the box if your intereted pm me.

Nah, it's very easy to put one in, but you have to get under the car (I'd assume the harnesses haven't changed on the T56 at all).

Basically, there is a harness going into the tranny. You simply unplug that harness, plug it into the eliminator. It's that easy. You can make one for a couple of bucks, but you don't get something as professional looking, and since it is only a $30 purchase, it only makes sense.

I'm JEALOUS! graemlins/thumb.gif As soon as my wife graduates from law school this summer, we're picking up one in black or Stealth Grey.

Definitely interested in where you got it and how much. I've been working with Immke and they seem to be very good.

CONGRATS! I'll be joining you soon... graemlins/grin2.gif

Originally posted by BC:

Nice ride man. Basically a corvette wearing an armony suit.

Hope you leased it or only plan on only keeping it for a few years. Nothing like the good ole GM squeaks and rattles.

My GP doesn't squeek at all.... I think GM has done allot in their newer cars to get fix the fit and finish of the cars (not so cheap looking interiors, etc...

congrats on the new car... those cars are PIMP :D

Ohhhh. That sucks!

I was definitely sweating it the day I bought it - that Saturday they got roughly 4 inches at the dealership literally in the time it took to buy the car. Had to drive back in that mess. Guardrails, ditches, oncoming traffic, cars in my rearview - all seemed to beckon "hit me, lose control and come over here for a gentle meeting of the sheetmetal."

Great way to enjoy a first drive, eh? Sorry to hear about your Volvo, MrMeanr. I woulda sobbed like a schoolgirl.

Ah Mike, I still remember back when I was Site Admin here, your registration. First guy on ColumbusRacing with an 03 Cobra. ;) Sad to see it go, but congrats on the new bad ass ride. I'd love one of them to haul the family around in. Very nice choice... graemlins/thumb.gif

The 03 Cobras used a completely new tranny from previous ones - the Tremece T56 6speed. A first in a public Ford (2000 Cobra Rs notwithstanding). Also used in the Fbods, Corvettes and now the CTS-V. Very stout and little chance of bent shift forks in it.

But the shifter still sucked, mostly I think due to the position it ended up being placed in when the T56 was mounted in the Cobra.

Originally posted by Mowgli:

Do you have to crack something open and plug that in? Or am I thinking wrong?

Yes your correct on that. it just plugs in. If your still interested let me know. its not doing me anygood b/c i dont have my z-28 now. Its a jet and i purchased it from jegs about 2 years ago/.