i found a bike i want

AJ

but it has a slavage title graemlins/thumbsdown.gif , its an 04' R1 with under 500 miles on it. the dealer has fixed it and put some parts i wanted on it to try to get me to buy it. with trade of my 2003 R6 it would only be a few hundred buck more to get it. i have seen it before it was fixed, broke the tail section and most of the plastic, has some road rash on the swing arm, did not touch the engine or the gas tank. so what do you guys think? should i get it or not?

Uhm.... Why trade your perfectly good 03 for a recently torn up 04? My uncle and my old highschool shop teacher have a combined 55 years of riding experience, with about 30 of those years also being racing experience, and told me NEVER to buy a bike that has a salvage title, under ANY circumstances. Just aint worth it, bruthamang.

its in Hebron, i looked very close at the swing arm and its not into the metal at all it just took the paint or what ever Yamaha put on it off. it wasn't wrecked hard. the guy was hullin ass out of his drive way on cold tires and it washed out from under him, the mail box post broke the rear sub frame so it wasn't a very fast wreck. and i would be trading an R6 for an R1.

do what ya want.. but resale value on any a salvage title bike isnt good. but like i said buy what ya want. myself id go for it. if i knew the bike was in solid shape.. and perfect mechanical driveability. i would see no problem in it.

i thought about the resale part of it and wasn't that concerned about it, however i bought a car once that had a slavage title to it and when it was transfered to my name it was a clean title. so we'll see how it goes, i still have to ride it but i did go over it pretty good and everything is cosmetic. i'm going to talk to him again tomorrow and i'll throw up an update on what i decide.

i talked to a guy that rebuilds bikes and he said his rule of thumb is to ride it up to 100mph or so and make sure it rolls straight. you should also be able to put it in a high gear at about 50 or so and let go of the bars. it should roll straight on its own. (the higher gear is so the engines braking doesn't slow you down.) good luck