How do i get more power out of my Accord

Guest Budman66

Guest Budman66
I have a 91 Honda Accord i dont think its the best thing in the world but i'm a poor college student and the price was right. What is the cheapest way to get more power out of it? I have a cold air intake and a cat back exhaust that was on the car when i bought it?

Originally posted by braden lotz:

I have a 91 Honda Accord i dont think its the best thing in the world but i'm a poor college student and the price was right. What is the cheapest way to get more power out of it? I have a cold air intake and a cat back exhaust that was on the car when i bought it?

Nitrous.

But when you get some money try an H22 swap smile.gif

Intake? Header? Cam(s)? Aftermarket/ported head? Engine swap? Nitrous?

You'll have to figure out how much power you want, and how much you can spend. Then you can figure out what to do, buy new or used stuff, DIY work, etc. Sounds like your on the right track. I did headers after CAI and exhaust.

btw, is it carbed or efi? My friend has an '89 Accord, and I think it has a carburetor.

Truthfully, there's really not much you can do other than N2O like Katie said. I/H/E really won't do much and if you ask me it's not really worth it with that engine. An engine swap or trading in the car for one you can do something with is your best option.

It sounds like you got this car out of necesity so it's not like your all about moding this patricular car. Honestly I'd say just have fun with the car as it sits and use what little money you have right now to have fun while your in college *cough*beer*cough*. Maybe get a job over the summer and pick up something more mod worthy. Exactly what I did this past summer. I saved up enough money for car payments, insurance and books for the whole year. I did have a job that paid well though. Now my work study money is all spending money *cough*beer*cough*. Partly out of needing a new car, but I could have goten something cheaper to last me my last year in college, but I didn't see the point in it. You'll be out in no time at all and have at least a decent paying job, get a real fast car then. I haven't done much of any (more) moding to it yet because I spend my money on other things, like going out with my friends... and beer. Spring break is what my tax return is going to, not the car. Panama beach here we come, they so aren't ready for us (I don't think I'm ready for us either). I'm gona post before we go so if I don't post a week after that you all can start worrying about me. tongue.gif

I will take fast and reliable. :D

As far as modding the Accord, I'll add a few things: my college cars I left stock, due to both financial and reliability issues. Those cars needed to get me to school, home and to Spring Break without breaking. That was their sole purpose for existing in my life. I highly recommend that as a forumla. smile.gif

Also, the best Honda's for performance mods are probably NOT Accords, sorry to say. Now, what you *could* do is put some nice suspension pieces under it, some good wheels and some sticky tires and have a fun handling car. It will be cheaper and give you more significant results.

Otherwise, for power the best cheap thing you can do is a 50-75 shot of nitrous. If you have a five speed, it will probably shorten the life of your clutch. I have no idea what it would do to the automatics.

Your best bet, if you have the time and extra money, is to buy a cheap, fast car for your speed jones. 5.0 Mustangs are a good choice -- good deals can be found on 1st gen DSMs, and the occasional beater RX-7 Turbo II manages to sneak under $2k. Also, the old turbo Mopars, like Daytonas, etc. can be found cheap and you can beat the living daylights out of them.

Just my $.02 and probably worth about as much. smile.gif

Did I hear my sig mentioned?

Well I have an accord, and I can atest to the fact that it isn't modded. Its reliable, and I wish to all hell that $5k would magically appear in my bank account so I could built a s13 with a sr20det. But since I live in the real world, expect me to make an appearance in the top25 after I get a real job, and have almost no loans to pay off smile.gif

Originally posted by VTEC Wheels ®:

trading in the car for one you can do something with is your best option.

Best advice in this thread. If you want to mod something, get something worth modding! Otherwise leave it stock...nothing wrong with having a point A to point B car.

Guest sphen02
Originally posted by My name... is Neo:

I'm gona post before we go so if I don't post a week after that you all can start worrying about me. tongue.gif

do we have to? tongue.gif;) hehe but in all honesty the thing about the car...i would say just keep it the way it is....cus other wise you will run into reliability issues...and in college reliability is a good thing...atlesat thats what i think hehe...just save the mod money for something a little more mod worthy or you know beer...just like jesse said. he's a smart guy like that sometimes heheh