Question about autos and torque converters

Trouble Maker

Hmmm, Well my car is an auto and I'm debating wether to try to make it so it's decent or just do a conversion to 5 speed in the long run if I do alot to this car. For reference it's a 92 egale talon tsi awd.

My reasoning behind wanting to do the swap and why it's economical follows. I'm going to have to biuld both trannys so that's an equal amount of money. With the 5 speed swap I have to buy the tranny and a good clutch/flyhweel, pedal assembley, clutch cable, master cylinder, slave cylinder (i think i got about everything), I'd probably try to find a local car in a junk yard. With the auto though I'd have to buy a nice turque converter if I want to launch good, thoes are expensive. I know that the 5 speed swap will cost a little more, possible alot, but not tons, and take time, but I like shifting alot more. I can get an aftermarket computer for the auto where I can do about anything I want (like probably do some kind of auto stick, that would be kick ass), but they are like $1k. That would put the price of the auto biuld way about the manual build, but alot more expensive.

My questions are I've never even been to the track and dont' plan on going that much so I don't much care about the consistent launches thing. When I have the time and money you'll see me at road courses, auto crosses, possible some rallying, and riping around the streets for the majority of the time. Can I make the auto alot more fun to drive, it's kinda blah right now. I've read, and it makes sense, that the torque converter reduces throtel response so to say because the rpms don't follow the throtel response as closely as a 5 speed. Will a bigger converter help or hurt this? What would you all do in this situation (a car swap isn't out of the question, but for thoes of you that have seen my car you will know why I want to keep it, it's in very good condtion inside and out)?

A 5 speed swap is not as easy as you would think. And the autos are waaaaaaaaaay weak. I swapped parts from a 5 speed car to an auto and it was a full 10 MPH slower in the quarter. To make an Auto run you DEFINITELY need a torque converter, and a shift kit at the minimum. I say just be happy with what you have, or swap to a 5 speed car. There are some fast autos out there, but they are few and far between....

We have a power glide in the race car. Basically an auto that doesn't shift itself. Converter, gears etc... The converter will take response away, as it buffers the torque from the engine to the tranny. However, if you get a "race grade" converter (TCI) you won't be able to feel it. We launch and run 1.08 60 foot times and the driver gets out with a headache.

My $0.02, about the cost of one share of WCOME.

I am contemplating the 5speed swap also. I've heard its pretty straight forward, and is relatively easy, with the exception of removing the steering column to install the pedals.

When my auto finally goes, I'll be swapping it out. I just like to shift too much.

If you decide to keep the auto, check out:

https://www.protorque.com/protorque_new/order/oo_i.htm

They've got a converter for $395. I'd also get a shift kit and end clutches.

Also, if you havent yet seen, check out:

http://www.ecanfix.com/~mdhamilton/autotomanual.html

for illustrated swap instructions.