Tire question, want EDUCATED opinions

Scotty2Hotty

I'm currently runnin a set of Firestone Firehawks.(came with car don't want to hear shit) Lookin for a nice compund tire that lasts a bit, not a drag slick, handling, and most important traction is a big key factor in this. I was contemplating Nitto's or BFG drag radials sooner than later, but for now, what would ya'll reccomend? EDUCATED OPINIONS PLEASE

Originally posted by zeitgeist57:

Yokohama AVS ES100

Check out Tirerack.com for ratings. Better and cheaper than Kumho 712's.

I'll second that.... I will be purchasing a set of these shortly.

They do tend to wear "quick" but nothing terrible.

Pretty sticky..

Great wet-traction and anti-hydroplaining tire as well.

And they are a bargain!

www.tirerack.com

for more info

Originally posted by Hua:

If you guys think a Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 is a nice tire, I can't wait to see your faces when you actually purchase a real tire.

Well, some of us don't drive supra's...and can't afford 250/tire.

You should buy us all Potenza s-03's just to see that look!

graemlins/fruit.gif

I could afford more than $250 a tire, but what's the reason? I'd smoke em off reguardless, it wouldn't be worth me spending that. I think I'll check out those Yokohamas. My next door neighbor is happy with his Falkens on his Cobra. saw him launch the car the other day, and they seemed to hook pretty well. Thanks for the opinions, gonna go shop around and see what I can get a deal on.

Guest andersb7

According to tirerack.com one of the best all around tires to get for ANYTHING is the Sumitimo HTR+ tires! They get excellent in dry and are very good in all other weather!! AND they have a 400 tread wear so they will last for a good long time.

That is what I recommend but again - tirerack.com is the place to go!

Guest powers
Originally posted by 03SpecV:

According to tirerack.com one of the best all around tires to get for ANYTHING is the Sumitimo HTR+ tires! They get excellent in dry and are very good in all other weather!! AND they have a 400 tread wear so they will last for a good long time.

That is what I recommend but again - tirerack.com is the place to go!

I will second this I now own a set of these tires and they are the best all around tire for the money. I don't own high hp cars so i don't know how they will hook with 300+ LBS TQ pushing them but they handle my 225 just fine

Originally posted by BIG PAPA:

I will second this I now own a set of these tires and they are the best all around tire for the money. I don't own high hp cars so i don't know how they will hook with 300+ LBS TQ pushing them but they handle my 225 just fine

Are these all season or summer tires ?

Guest badmuthrfkr
Originally posted by Sapper 12B(SKS sniper):

I could afford more than $250 a tire, but what's the reason? I'd smoke em off reguardless, it wouldn't be worth me spending that. I think I'll check out those Yokohamas. My next door neighbor is happy with his Falkens on his Cobra. saw him launch the car the other day, and they seemed to hook pretty well. Thanks for the opinions, gonna go shop around and see what I can get a deal on.

If that were a good theory, then why buy drag radials, most people will smoke them up anyways.

If you are going to go cheap on the only thing that connects you to the ground, you could always get a set of RoadHuggers by Rage.

I dislike the Falken GRB series, I had severe wheel hop with them, not to mention they couldn't stick to the ground half the time. Wheel hop = busted differentials over time.

There is also more to a tire than just gripping, don't forget road noise. It's annoying to have an Apache helicopter on your ass for a road trip.

Originally posted by Hua:

If that were a good theory, then why buy drag radials, most people will smoke them up anyways.

If you are going to go cheap on the only thing that connects you to the ground, you could always get a set of RoadHuggers by Rage.

I dislike the Falken GRB series, I had severe wheel hop with them, not to mention they couldn't stick to the ground half the time. Wheel hop = busted differentials over time.

There is also more to a tire than just gripping, don't forget road noise. It's annoying to have an Apache helicopter on your ass for a road trip.

Thanks. Any advice from someone that is pushin what I SHOULD by next spring, I'll listen too. I'll be shopping for tires here shortly once I start to get paied at my new job. I can say this, Firehawks are too stiff and as far as traction goes, there is none. I bet some yuppie owned it before me and put these cheap ass firestones on. People are dumb.