to those of you who cut and weld....

1Quik7

some might be familiar with my car...some not. i need a little cutting and welding done and was wondering if any of you had a little spare time to make some extra money.

basically what is needed...i have 18x13" wheels in the rear for my fender flares, they sit out past the actual metal fenders of the car...so everytime i get on it, the car squats and the metal fenders groove into my tires. the RX7 Store tried shaving them back a bit, we got about an inch or so off...but they really don't have the right tools for the job.

i just need the original fenders cut back, and then have it welded off to seal it from corrosion.

also, i am thinking of putting some kind of muffler into my exhaust, the only poblem is the diameter is a little larger than 4"...so some kind of fabricating may be involved.

if anyone is interested in making a little extra money, let me know...i really don't think either of these should take all that much time.

Originally posted by 1Quik7:

....have it welded off to seal it from corrosion.

whut? Welds rust, steel rusts. "Welding off" a cut, sheared or broken edge wont help prevent rust.

Get yourself a hand held band saw, or, if you have the time, use an angle grinder.

Post up some pics. If I remember correctly, you have some sort of wide body kit. There for bending the steel back may be a good idea, since it'll be easier and you wont see it.

Guest Ranger_Man
Why not just roll and or pull your fenders? Matt/Tinman was in the process of making me a fender rolling tool. He might still have the pieces and if you bug him enough he could probably make it.

Originally posted by Beer Guy:

Why not just roll and or pull your fenders? Matt/Tinman was in the process of making me a fender rolling tool. He might still have the pieces and if you bug him enough he could probably make it.

You mean an aluminum baseball bat? Put the bat between the fender and the tire and roll. That's one way to do it.

Good luck,

CJ

Guest Ranger_Man
Originally posted by vitaminCJ:

You mean an aluminum baseball bat? Put the bat between the fender and the tire and roll. That's one way to do it.

Good luck,

CJ

No. I mean the actual tool that is meant for the job.

i have tried rolling the fender, we have taken off a good 1-1/2" of the fender itself then tried hammering and rolling it from there...still no dice. i seriously need the fender pretty much cut-off. and yes i know welding it won't prevent rust, but the outer panel is splitting from the inner body panel and i would like to have them connected again via a piece of metal so i can rust-proof it.

Originally posted by Beer Guy:

You have spent so much on that car as it is yet buying (or paying someone to make) fender flares is not an option?

i have fender flares on it, hence the 18x13" wheels to fill them out. but being that wide, they surpass the actual metal fenders of the body. without the flares the car would look like a skateboard, and the tires would stick out about 3" past the fender.

Guest Ranger_Man
Originally posted by 1Quik7:

i have fender flares on it, hence the 18x13" wheels to fill them out. but being that wide, they surpass the actual metal fenders of the body. without the flares the car would look like a skateboard, and the tires would stick out about 3" past the fender.

Good, I was gonna drive back up to Columbus just to smack you otherwise :D .