Moving to the Columbus area

lrosenbeck

Hi. It looks like I'm going to be moving to the Columbus area in the next couple of months. I've lived in the Tampa, FL area for the past 19 years, but am originally from western ohio (50 miles west of dayton -- near celina/greenville).

I've got an 03 F150 Lightning that is my daily driver and a Factory Five Roadster (Shelby Cobra Replica).

Guest racinbird
Originally posted by Dr. Z06:

Columbus is a lot like Tampa, minus the GULF/BAY and palm trees and weather and pretty Florida girls.

FIXED:)

welcome....hopefully I'm not too new and Nitrousbird won't get upset

lol...

you guys are funny. It's all misconceptions....

90+ degrees for months on end gets old. It's way too hot outside to do anything from 8am until 10pm.

Palm trees are worthless. They don't make enough shade to be worthwhile and I don't like cocunut. :D

REAL Florida girls aren't pretty. The ones who move here are nice for a few years until they start to look like saddlebags from the sun. :eek:

Originally posted by FFR1728:

lol...

you guys are funny. It's all misconceptions....

90+ degrees for months on end gets old. It's way too hot outside to do anything from 8am until 10pm.

Palm trees are worthless. They don't make enough shade to be worthwhile and I don't like cocunut. :D

REAL Florida girls aren't pretty. The ones who move here are nice for a few years until they start to look like saddlebags from the sun. :eek:

Correct.

Correct.

Correct.

I'm from Florida and agree with everything you say. You also forgot the hurricanes, bigass mosquitos, traffic, taxes, and abundance of morons who live there (both indigenous and tourists).

Welcome to Columbus. It actually kicks ass for a city of it's size. Plus, people who live in the south have no idea how much fun snow really is :D

Originally posted by Aggressor:

Correct.

Correct.

Correct.

I'm from Florida and agree with everything you say. You also forgot the hurricanes, bigass mosquitos, traffic, taxes, and abundance of morons who live there (both indigenous and tourists).

Welcome to Columbus. It actually kicks ass for a city of it's size. Plus, people who live in the south have no idea how much fun snow really is :D

You left out love bugs and snowbirds.

I'm not exactly looking forward to driving the Lightning in the snow. I suspect it's managable with snow tires. I was considering picking up a set of expedition takeoffs with all season tires to put on it for the cold months. Anyone have any better ideas?

Guest racinbird

[/QB]I'm not exactly looking forward to driving the Lightning in the snow. I suspect it's managable with snow tires. I was considering picking up a set of expedition takeoffs with all season tires to put on it for the cold months. Anyone have any better ideas?

Buy a beater

Originally posted by racinbird:

Buy a beater [/QB]

How about a suggestion that doesn't involve insuring a 3rd vehicle?? graemlins/doh.gif

[ 04. June 2005, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: FFR1728 ]

Guest doggunracing

How about a suggestion that doesn't involve insuring a 3rd vehicle?? graemlins/doh.gif

Seriously, buy a beater. I drove my underpowered (back then :D ), RWD 240sx with 'all-seasons' my first winter here. BIG MISTAKE. I managed the sliding part, but the getting stuck in parking lots and inclines SUCKED. Don't forget the salt damage to your nice Lightning undercarriage also.

I bought a beater CRX with corresponding cheap-ass insurance and never looked back. I'm about to move back to NC and am selling mine cheap. There are beaters galore around here; it's a way of life for those with nice, RWD cars.

Originally posted by doggunracing:

I bought a beater CRX with corresponding cheap-ass insurance and never looked back.

There's the problem. I've got a specialty policy on the FFR (limited use, 5k miles per year, full coverage -- $250/year) BUT, they won't insure it for more than the least covered of my other vehicles.

Right now, I've got 50/100/50 on everything. If I get a beater and put crappy coverage on it, they'll drop the coverage on the FFR to match it.

There's the problem. I've got a specialty policy on the FFR (limited use, 5k miles per year, full coverage -- $250/year) BUT, they won't insure it for more than the least covered of my other vehicles.

Right now, I've got 50/100/50 on everything. If I get a beater and put crappy coverage on it, they'll drop the coverage on the FFR to match it.

perhaps you can get a different policy that takes coverage off of your ffr for winters, I'm sure that quite a few people on here have them, and can answer some questions...

welcome to the board

I drove my Moostang all last winter without too much of an issue on its normal street tires (Falken something or other, never bothered to look at their rating). Toss a set of snow tires on the Lightning and you'll be good to go.

There are plenty of people that drive 2 wheel drive trucks in ohio in the winter. Just put a bunch of weight in the back over the rear axle and good tires.

Though if it were me, I would by a 500 beater and just switch insurance between it and the cobra.

BTW, nice car. I worked for a shop that built them, but he did superperformance ones.

They are fun cars to drive,but really I like having a roof over my head when going fast. Thats just me though.

Hope you like it here, and I cant wait to see the car out.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by ( . Y . ):

I'm insuring 3 vehicles for full coverage and pay 90 dollars a month... as long as you have a clean record and you're over 25 you'll pay the same.

Please lead me to your insurance agent......I'm 26, had a very clean driving record until last Friday, have my home-owner's discount, and definately pay more than that!

Nice car and truck.I drove an LS400 all last winter with good all-season tires and trac control.Only got stuck twice,once pulling out of my driveway(thanks snowplow) and the other in a parking lot picking up a pizza(the guy that was coming to plow the lot pushed me out and apologized because he was late to plow the lot,he said it was his fault I got stuck).Besides you always have sick days or become friends with a 4wd owner at work.