new again

kennycoulter

i lost my password from 2 years ago, and im back. i didnt post a lot before. i have an svo, 944, cobra, and a galaxie. i live in the northwset area around dublin/upper arlington/worthington. does anyone know of a shop in columbus that can reweld cast iron?

You mean someone who will weld a little, let it cool, weld a little, let it cool, etc. or peine the weld so it doesn't contract and recrack it? Heh, easier said than done I guess. My father was at a shop near the Indiana border where a guy was welding some cast iron recently, but I can't think of the name right off hand. It can be done though, you may have to just call around to welding shops to see who would take it on. What do you need welded?

well i got a free 351 block, but it was cracked at the water jacket above the lifter bores, and cracked along above a cylinder......i remember reading in hotrod before about a guy making a v8 into a v4 and welding his block back together and it worked fine....i was hoping i could make this block good again.

Well, I can weld up the cracks. But I am guessin that there are more cracks that you are not seeing. If the block is cracked that bad, chances are its done. By the time you pay someone to do that much welding on it, you can buy a block. That's my opinion on it.

From what I've been told by a couple of machine shops, welding an iron block is not a fun job (I have a cracked 3.0L boat block that is very hard to source another one for a non-insane price). Basically they said only a few shops do it, and requires the block to be heated in a furnace prior to welding, welded, and cooled in a controlled environment = not cheap, and sometimes doesn't even work. :(

• 3 weeks later...

take it to columbus col-weld on harrisburg pike they can find all the cracks and if it can be fixed they can do it right there in house. its a neat place to check out too they work on everything from 4 cylinders to giant locomotive engines.

hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...